Starting bike question?

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a 48cc sky hawk with a nt carb and wanting to know if I should jet the carb or raise the needle in carb?Well it runs good but to start it I have to put choke on and then hold throttle open.What would you guys recommend for me to do?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
it depends alot on the temp altitude and alot of things whats your plug look like is it the right color try chainging the needle position i think down is more fuel also

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
plug looks good.I think I might go ahead and stick a new plug in it and see.
i really don't want to pull the carb off again because the camp where it connect to the intake is sealed good no air leaks,but dad is almost 70 and needs it to start easier.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I think the needle would be the easiest to do without pulling the carb off,but how much of a difference would it make it run? The needle is in the second notch from the top.How much would it effect the way it's running?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I will try it in the morning,but one notch will open it up enough just can't see it helping that much.I'm going to try it though.Thanks

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I had it running great a year ago but I put a centrifugal clutch on it and developed a miss in the engine so I thought it was the cns carb so I messed with the adustment screws and the float and messed the carb up and get couldn't the float right so I put the nt.I had the cns carb were I could just pick the back tire up and crank a half turn and she'd fire right up no choke either.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I don't mined them if you can get them adjusted right there awesome at running and starting.I also ran out of patience with it,plus the spacer are junk and could never get another one made I tried.So i don't like them now either.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
yea mine is in the junk box i couldnt tune it and ordered a NT but was sent a V2 cns with a Nt filter it was good but i didnt like it much more i have a real NT on my 2nd engine kit now and its great for me

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a speed nt carb on another bike and it's even better then the normal nt it 's a little more power and just a little faster to me. but thats just my thing.It might not be better to any one else.

Aluminumwelder

Sep 20, 2012
Daphne, al
I have similar problem, my new engine will not run. I have good visible fire at the spark plug gap, but in looking at the spark plug after trying to crank it at full choke for many times the plug always looks dry. In removing the carb and intake throat piece, i can see the piston moving up and down easily, however the top of the piston doesn't appear to drop below the top of the opening so I don't know how the damn thing can be getting fuel into the cylinder chamber. I removing the the head there are two tin gaskets there and again the piston is clean and moving up and down easily, anyway based on this info does anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing running. Thanks

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
fuel going in goes to the bottom of the engine first

check that the head gasket has a good mark in it all the way around where the ridge on the head bites into the gasket (you may have to add a couple washers to each head bolt to get a good seal)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
personaly i hate the CNS carbs
I have the CNS V2 carb, only took a little fiddling with the float and main jet to get it running awesome, it only takes one kick to start when its up on the stand, starts every time and runs great.
The CNS has 3 jets, the idle jet is very small and needs to be kept clean for easy start and good low end performance, I take care of that with a quality in-line fuel filter and have had zero problems with the carb since I tuned it. (about 1800 miles)

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well I will pull my CNS v2 out of a box here shortly because I did like the way it started like yours nightcruiser.I messed it up trying to adjust the thing but now I got the copper spacer made and it will maybe be messed with again.It started and ran great about 700miles.Like I said I have a 70 year old dad that likes to ride and he could start it easy with the cns on.

Last edited: