80cc silver slant z80 will not run HELP PLEASE

GoldenMotor.com

kidd778

Feb 28, 2012
illinois
i bought this engine of bgf and strait out of the box will not start/run i have checked gas and spark have both i am stunned have no clue can some one please help me.xx.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Gimmie fuel, gimmie fire, gimmie what I desire. Is the spark plug getting wet when you try to start it?

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
It sounds like you have too much fuel in your air/fuel mix going into the engine. I would start by taking the carburetor off the engine and then opening the float bowl to see if the float and float activated valve are functioning properly. It's possible also that the float is stuck in the carburetor and that just pushing the primer button fixes it too.

kidd778

Feb 28, 2012
illinois
checked carb and float seems to be good is not stuck the needle is working checked and double checked wires and im getting fire

kidd778

Feb 28, 2012
illinois
ok that helped out a bunch thank you very much i have a skyhawk engine are they any good or not or do they have alot of problems also read reveiws and they where good for say

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
ok that helped out a bunch thank you very much i have a skyhawk engine are they any good or not or do they have alot of problems also read reveiws and they where good for say
I can't say if they are any better. Have bought 6 engines (1 Skyhawk) and really can't tell any difference. They ALL have problems, but I minimized mine with the mods I make. Had 1 coil go out within 3 days, had a blown head gasket, and had a replaced defective head gasket trash a piston/jug. All with the first engine that I installed OUT of the box.

Really, they are ALL a crap shot....Chinese junk.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Agreed with Alf!!!

Don't feel your chinagirl is any more of a trainwreck than any other!

It may be, but that would only be luck, or bad luck, of the draw.

Basically, they are a discount product, and great value for what they are.
They will require attention.
Some more than others.

Some of the vendors merely re-ship the parcels, and other vendors are value-added, who actually inspect parts, components, and kits they sell. Of course they will need to charge more for their service !

These are simple engines to work on. Enjoy the small tasks that will most likely be required. :)

Good luck
rc

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
Overall they seem to be pretty good but just like every other HT engine kit, they have their lot of horror stories. I do believe that the skyhawks use crankshaft ball bearings and connecting rod needle bearings. That, in my belief is a good criteria to determine what is a good HT engine. I also think that opinions about engine kit vary quite a bit for the same kits because some people are not willing to maintain and care for their kits whereas some people do.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i have the same motor from bgf.the two probs i experienced was the idle screw was set from factory to high,to fast,fix was to adjust idle screw and second was kill switch, disconnected it, got it running,then figured out proper way to wire it.another motor i have,not bgf, had prob with carb slide hanging up,wot all the time,flooding engine.that one got new carb.good luck. hope this helps.not sure about grubee skyhawk heard they were good motors,ive got older grubee starfire yet to fire,and pk80 from pirate cycles no prob yet with the pk.

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
I had one that the clutch was not adjusted correctly and when you released the clutch and pedal the bike to start the bike the clutch would slip, no spinning on the engine means no fire to the plug.

I used a drill to spin the crank shaft so I knew the magneto and spark plug were firing.

Finally noticed I did not here the engine chugging while I was pedaling. Smack forehead then tighten the clutch up. Fired right off.

kidd778

Feb 28, 2012
illinois
ok thanks on the bgf engine i took it off and put the skyhawk on and it fired the first revolution every thing is good going to tare apart the bgf and start all over again

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have a bgf engine thats almost a year old with no problems whatsoever. I know my engine has crankshaft ball bearings and connecting rod piston wrist needle bearings. problems I have had were idle screw spring wearing out and moisture getting under my magneto cover and frying two ignition coils. Red Permatex solved the moisture issue, and a small section of fuel line held on with a cable tie keeps my idle screw from moving. also had a problem with an air leak in my carb when I first got the engine. carb o-ring solved that. gonna clean my spark plug soon so I can do a proper color test and make sure my fuel mixture is right. I think it is, but I want to be sure. I want this engine to last at least another year.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have a bgf engine thats almost a year old with no problems whatsoever. I know my engine has crankshaft ball bearings and connecting rod piston wrist needle bearings. problems I have had were idle screw spring wearing out and moisture getting under my magneto cover and frying two ignition coils. Red Permatex solved the moisture issue, and a small section of fuel line held on with a cable tie keeps my idle screw from moving. also had a problem with an air leak in my carb when I first got the engine. carb o-ring solved that. gonna clean my spark plug soon so I can do a proper color test and make sure my fuel mixture is right. I think it is, but I want to be sure. I want this engine to last at least another year.
So what is your problem, you stated "80cc silver slant z80 will not run HELP PLEASE" No spark,no fuel, no compression what? A little more information would sure help.

You might find a answer here...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

Last edited: