Honda GX Engine - Strange problem.

GoldenMotor.com

PatrickHenninger

Jul 11, 2011
Richlands, NC
I built a go cart for my kids using a 5.5HP Honda engine (Maybe 6.5? I can't remember) Anyhow, I just went through and redid all the gaskets, cleaned the carb, new plug, fresh gas, yadda yadda yadda... Got it running like a champ... Except when the kids turn right. Straightaways and left turns, it's fine, but turn right and it shuts off. I'm thinking it's a fuel starvation issue, maybe the gas sloshing to one side is closing the float, or maybe the gas runs back into the tank? I figure I'd post here for some insight and ideas before I start trying to raise the gas tank higher or something crazy. There's no kill switch, other than pushing the grounding button on the spark plug boot itself, so it's not a wriring malfunction... Any ideas?

PatrickHenninger

Jul 11, 2011
Richlands, NC
I wish I was at home to start tinkering with it again, it's a GX160 and according to Honda's Website it SHOULD have the low oil sensor. I guess that's my first stop, I'll disconnect it (Since I monitor engine oil regularly anyways) and test again. If THAT works, then I get to move on to making a chain guard/guide so it stops slipping off.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I hope unplugging the low oil sensor does the trick. Being that your other option was to make three left turns to go right, I think tinkering is probably your best bet.