2-Stroke Addiction

GoldenMotor.com

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I've been reading a book on 2-stroke engine repair and maintenance to help me be more informed about these kits. Last week I went to an auto parts store to get supplies and saw a 2-stroke generator on sale for $169, which peaked my interest. Tonight as I was reading the book again I decided to see how much a small generator would cost online...

I ended up ordering a 2-stroke generator off Amazon for $140 flat an hour later. I must admit I've always wanted a generator no real reason, but I blame 2-stroke engines on principle for being so addictively cheap and powerful. If I start shopping for a chain saw I know I have a problem. Maybe I'll try getting my Echo weed whacker running again for the fun of it too. : )

I don't really know if this is the right place to post a rant about how awesome 2-stroke engines are, but I'm sure at few people out there share my appreciation for these engines in any form they take.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
The biggest complaint I hear is that you have to mix your gasoline, but once you own one 2-stroke it doesn't really matter how many you own. Of course once I see someone's electric weed whacker, I know it's a lost cause to win them over to the best little engines in the world.

Also, the EPA is scheduled to implement tighter emission standards as part of "Phase 3" in 2012 that would be closer to CARB regulations. When I read this it some what motivated me to make the purchase this year instead of waiting till I had the need.

Ethical question: is it wrong to stockpile generators with the intent to sell them for a ridiculous profit in the event of a disaster?

I found a Chinese source that will sell cheap 800W 2-strokes for around $60. After the Japanese and Chilean earthquakes I can't help but feel like California is due.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Ethical question: is it wrong to stockpile generators with the intent to sell them for a ridiculous profit in the event of a disaster?"

Ask some of the people in Louisana what they think of price gouging. In fact go anywhere there's been a disaster and ask. Does the phrase, "tar and feather" mean anything to you?
"Ridiculous profit", indeed.
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I am going to order up one of those 2 HP 40 cc Tanakas when they come up.

CA CARB tier 2 approved. I like to be clean and green. Going to order up the bigger and quieter muffler too. And a 1.25 inch drive roller.

Yeah.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Actually in the event of a disaster I would first bail out my friends and loved ones. If I bought a cheap Chinese generator for $75 on eBay I would probably sell it for $200-$250 during an extended blackout.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Living on the Maine coast & working for a hardware store I can tell you this - yes, during a "natural disaster" it's not uncommon for the price of gensets to be increased somewhat due to "high demand" as there's not only increased costs due to stockpiling (overhead & last minute overnight bulk orders) as well as an obvious profit opportunity, but the additional markup never exceeds around 20% or so - if we were to dare a 100 - 200% markup like your suggesting we'd shortly loose all profit as well as the business itself due to the fact the locals would prolly firebomb the place...

...and honestly? They'd be justified in their hate.

BTW, we do make a killing on rentals... why folks don't just buy one I'll never understand *shrug* but even so, we often loan and/or extend the rentals at no charge if things get really bad - and that actually really benefits the business in the long run as the returned "customer loyalty" from such is unprecedented.

Last edited:

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm probably thinking of my market too specifically. A few weeks ago iodine started disappearing from store shelves... In general Californians are generally woefully under prepared for any disaster and I mean anything. We can't even drive in the rain, and we wouldn't have the first clue what to do when the power goes out.

Also, almost the only generators you can find in the state are the high end inverter types and beastly 7+ HP units, intended for construction mostly. I saw one CARB approved 2-stroke by All Power American rated at 800W for $170 on sale, $200 on Amazon. The little generators I'm thinking of are certainly common place in any Maine hardware store for around $100. Being without power is less optional in climates like that, therefore gouging people is almost unacceptable. Here people want their TV back on for comfort, not the blower fan to their furnace back on to keep them alive.

In the event of a Katrina scale disaster free enterprise is not what I would be thinking of, and I certainly wouldn't advertise that I had generators. If an earthquake knocked out a power plant or two charging a little over the market rate for a generator would probably be acceptable to quite a few people. I'm probably not going to hoard generators anyway, but $75 is such a tempting price.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
is it possible for the usa to drop the epa due to financial reasons and drilling issues? maybee 2 strokes will be the thing again lol

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
The Republicans in congress would love to do just that. I wish the EPA would support more research into small engines. Independent development has been held back by the limited markets for light weight IC engines.