my bike was stolen!

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I am so glad to hear you have recovered it.
Unfortunately, you shall need to consider it as a new machine, and investigate it from top to bottom, outside in...
Good luck to you!
rc

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am also very glad to hear that you got it back!
In considering that it may have been ridden in the rain without an air filter on it, dirty water getting slung up into the carb, and on top of that not having pre-mix fuel ran through it:confused:, I definitely would get or make a new base gasket and pull the cylinder and inspect both the cylinder and piston for damage.
The sad part is if any grit got inside the crank bearings and con rod big end bearing there is no cheap/ easy way to inspect them.
Regardless, with it still running or not, I believe that he owes you a whole new engine due to the fact that he abused your current one. By simply removing the only protective device the engine has from the carburetor (air cleaner) warrants the notion that damage has been done. The gritty/ sticky carb action definately suggests that dirt has been ingested and is trapped in between the throttle slide and slide bore. Also if I read you right, he admits to using straight gas , no pre-mix oil?
That will absolutely ruin a 2 stroke engine!
I am not recommending a law suit here, that is your choice and yours only, but you certainly have grounds to do so.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
He said he put oil in it, only after I asked if he did, so he may have realized that he should have and lied about it. The way I know it was unoiled was that usually when the tank leaks, it leaves behind oil residue on the top tube and wherever it drips. This time, it dryed clean. No oil. It needed a top end anyway, so maybe I will make him pay for a new engine. Does the lack off oil hurt the bottom end immediately? I don't think he ran it for long since it was leaking, but can't be sure. I will take apart the Carb and engine tomorrow to see how much dirt is in it.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Grats on getting your bike back! He was not trying to steal it? LMFAO! I believe "borrowing" something against the owner's will is actually stealing. I doubt the intent to give it back actually matters. Try doing that with a new car from a car lot.

"But occifer, I was going to give it back in a week after beating the crap out of it, what's the problem?"

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Ok, I took the engine apart and there wasn't a trace of oil, only some residue in the exhaust. Usually when I look at the exhaust manifold, it has oil in it. There was grimy dirt water inside the intake manifold and in the engine. The piston was scratched. Where can I get an engine only for a decent price? I think this one is gone, I will melt it down for aluminum casting once I get a replacement. I haven't found one for a good price.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
prob.junk, make his parents buy you a new motor. if not tell them the judge will have them replace the motor at a shop and pay the labor and all the other legal problems that go with having a criminal for a son. like a record among other things. i'm sure they will see a little $$$$ your way will be alot cheeper in the short run. pick a nice replacement like the dax gp50 if you can get away with it

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ok, I took the engine apart and there wasn't a trace of oil, only some residue in the exhaust. Usually when I look at the exhaust manifold, it has oil in it. Very bad There was grimy dirt water inside the intake manifold and in the engine. The piston was scratched. Engine is ruined Where can I get an engine only for a decent price? I think this one is gone, I will melt it down for aluminum casting once I get a replacement. I haven't found one for a good price.
I vote for DAX. Get a whole kit. Spare parts are nice to have.

Ciro

Jun 18, 2012
Hot Springs, Arkansas
If I read it right you were still considering pressing charges... You can't bc he did return it, even though he took it and returning it doesn't right the wrong the police will laugh at you for trying to press charges for theft when you are in possesion of the stolen property, you could pay $50 and take him to small claims court but even if you win the case it doesn't garuntee payment. Glad you got your bike back hopefully with a free lesson learned! Technically he didn't steal your bike bc you let him have it for the test ride, even if he test rode it for longer than expected, as soon as you tell the police you let him ride it they will not listen to another word, for example if you give your car keys to a buddy to run to the store and back and he takes it to mexico you still gave him the keys with permission to take it. The law doesn't say when a test ride is no longer a test ride and there is no way to prove that it was only supposed to be a test ride vs. borrowing it for a few days.

frogbiscuit

Jun 20, 2012
Northern VA
I would file a suit in small claims court and make him explain his BS story to a judge. The judgement may not be worth the paper it's written on, but it's a small price to pay to see them squirm.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
ok, a little update. my case fell apart because i was shown a photo spread of like 8 guys and had to id him. all i really remembered was his hair style, so i picked the guy that looked that him but, well, i was wrong. the cop saw him riding it, but "it could be someone else riding a white motorized bike past the school that the theft of yours also happened to be riding by at the same time". if i can't get anything legally, well, i'll have my dad ask the cop where he lives "cuz i want to talk to his parents" and then i'll efing jump him and take the five pounds of crack that scum like him carry around and dump all his drugs in the sewer, then take all his money and break his phone on the sidewalk using his head as a hammer. ahhh sounds like fun... .....or i could talk to his parents so i don't get locked away for a much more serious crime than bike theft. any suggestions on what i should do?

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
I would find out where he living at. And pay someone in his own Hood, to give him a pumpkin head. Depending where he is from, he might just have one parent. And she might not pay that kind of money, for a kid that never listens. Good Luck I hope you get something.