Honda GXH50 carb leaking

GoldenMotor.com

gcw

May 9, 2009
IL
I am building my first MB using the Honda/Grubee kit from SC Green Motors. I got it completed and after about 15 miles gas was pouring out of the carb. I called Rich at SC Green Motors, where I bought my kit, and he suggested I take it in to a local Honda dealer and have them replace the carb, which I did. Then after about 15 more miles, the carb again started pouring gas out of the carb. I took it back to my local Honda dealer and they found the carb bowl was loose and causing the problem, so they said.
Now about 20 miles later, there is again gas pouring out of the carb. I called my local Honda dealer again and advised them they didn't fix my problem. They said they talked to Honda Tech and they were told that I'm using the engine for something it was not designed for and would not warranty it. They said it is being subjected to a lot of vibration and leaning when on a bicycle. I informed them this is a BICYCLE riden on paved streets. It does not vibrate or bounce around like the Honda lawnmower motors and it does not lean on curves like a motorcycle - it is a BICYCLE! I've not had time to pull the carb off yet, but it seems to me that the carb float must be sticking. However, it seems strange that would happen on a new engine, and even stranger that it would again happen
on the replacement new Honda carb. I've called SC Green Motors to report my problem and they want to sell me a replacement Hua Sheng carb and say that will fix my problem. When I bought my kit I decided to pay the extra money and get a genuine Honda engine. It seems whatever is wrong with this carb it should be fixable and I should not have to buy a different brand carb to fix a warranty problem, like SC Green Motors is telling me, when my Honda engine is just a few days old with 59 total miles on the bike & engine. I've done a Search for a similar problem with this engine buy haven't came up with any. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what might be wrong.
This is a great website with lots of good information. I will be checking it often.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am building my first MB using the Honda/Grubee kit from SC Green Motors. I got it completed and after about 15 miles gas was pouring out of the carb. I called Rich at SC Green Motors, where I bought my kit, and he suggested I take it in to a local Honda dealer and have them replace the carb, which I did. Then after about 15 more miles, the carb again started pouring gas out of the carb. I took it back to my local Honda dealer and they found the carb bowl was loose and causing the problem, so they said.
Now about 20 miles later, there is again gas pouring out of the carb. I called my local Honda dealer again and advised them they didn't fix my problem. They said they talked to Honda Tech and they were told that I'm using the engine for something it was not designed for and would not warranty it. They said it is being subjected to a lot of vibration and leaning when on a bicycle. I informed them this is a BICYCLE riden on paved streets. It does not vibrate or bounce around like the Honda lawnmower motors and it does not lean on curves like a motorcycle - it is a BICYCLE! I've not had time to pull the carb off yet, but it seems to me that the carb float must be sticking. However, it seems strange that would happen on a new engine, and even stranger that it would again happen
on the replacement new Honda carb. I've called SC Green Motors to report my problem and they want to sell me a replacement Hua Sheng carb and say that will fix my problem. When I bought my kit I decided to pay the extra money and get a genuine Honda engine. It seems whatever is wrong with this carb it should be fixable and I should not have to buy a different brand carb to fix a warranty problem, like SC Green Motors is telling me, when my Honda engine is just a few days old with 59 total miles on the bike & engine. I've done a Search for a similar problem with this engine buy haven't came up with any. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what might be wrong.
This is a great website with lots of good information. I will be checking it often.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Where is the gas pouring out and can you post pics?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I have an EZbike with the Huasheng motor. When it had a few miles on it , it started leaking gas out the carb. It filled my crankcase so you might want to check your oil for gas in it. I took the carb apart & blew everything out with an air hose & it's worked since. Do you have an inline filter in your gas line? It could be dirt from your tank getting in the carb. I didn't have one when it happened to me.
Jay

Last edited:

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
I have the same settup. I had the same problem and mine was caused from the gas cap not breathing which after a short time would cause the fumes in the gas tank to cause a pressure build up forceing the gas out the fuel line into the carb over powering the floats ability to stop the flow causeing it to overflow and run out of the carb overflow hole. I thought it was my float sticking as well but all along it was the cap that wasn't allowing the tank to breath. See if that may be the cause of the problem. Mine was caused when I Kreemed the inside of the tank and sealed the vent holes. Blow into the bottom of the cap holes and see if air flows though the inside of the cap.