Performance or Economy

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I just want to start by saying that this is a awesome website! the folks here are great , some really nice stories and photos that we share make it seem like family.
I see the threads on my e-mail ,I read the threads in the forum , how fast can your 80cc go ,High Perfomance ,modifications ,Fabrication and so forth. I currently run a short straight intake so I can run a better air cleaner(lack of room) also I run a billet alum. velocity stack and a low profile cone air filter and also a expansion chamber. When motor was new ,after rides I would tweak the head bolts while motor was hot and set them in to get compression right.I run 35t sprocket and 30 mph is no problem and 35mph is easy to hit. I run a wired digital speedo/odo and have it set really close. it may be a tenth off from the GPS. A slight tailwind ,down small grade ,top speed has been 42mph
Anyway let me say that when you get performance from the motor, you take away Economy. I was running stock carb with stock air cleaner and stock intakeand also running a 36t sprocket. I traveled 85 miles one way on 1 tank full. I think I could have gone just a little more maybe another mile or two. And now with the above said set-up Iwent on long trip one way 44 miles and ran out of fuel at my 60 miles. well I had spare fuel with me ,so no problem. but time I made it back home the tank was lower than it ever had been for a run like that. I figured with the 35 sprocket I would get good fuel mileage. However! with running the velocity stack I think it was sucking more air and burning more fuel! Now let me just say this , the bike runs great. the plug looks good.it the bike rides good. its fast on the top end. it runs good on idle. Ive built this up from the ground and now has over 2800 miles on it. I just didnt get the mileage. about 120 miles to the gallon. compare that to my first long trip and I got 170 miles to the gallon. 50 miles difference. so depending on your characteristics of riding ,urban jungle ,low and slow ,off road ,top speed , the performance you put in will take away from the Economy side of it. I want to balance them both. but for now ,and I dont do a whole lot of long riding anyway so I'll keep the performance instead of the economy, cuz "I like it alot"

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im running all stock stuff(except custom air box), a 48cc with 44t sprocket 26" cruiser.
crusing speed 25-30mph up to 35mph @ 180-200mpg.
but anyway id take the performance,we already get great gas mileage.

thats a cool bike filestyle.

Last edited: