Has anyone used the new Wheelset by one of the forums advertisers?

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hello?

it seems that alot of concerns are overcome with this design:

a. much less of an issue with wheel truing
b. cnc designed - so all should "fit like a glove"
c. most likely super strong

my questions:
a. wheelset = 2 wheels? front and back?
b. is the spacing 135mm?
c. is the engine drive sprocket and normal sprocket on the other side interchangeable, with standard hole sizes - threads?
d. is there any other sprocket sizes that are available for sale?

Thanks all.

:)

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmm.....I can't tell you anything about them. I've never seen them before.

They don't look bad. Though I wouldn't even think of it at 'list' price. $250. But that sale price of $129 is at least looking close to reasonable.

Still, you could put together a set of wheels from someone like Niagara Cycle that would be just fine for less.

Besides that, I'd certainly guess that those wheels are true when new. But if the road gives them any kind of wobble then I suppose you're finished.

I think I'm getting a bit less excited over those wheels. They do look nice. But I just wonder.......

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
If you bend one or smash it into a curb, you might be out of luck fixing it.

Back in the old bmx days there were steel motomags. When someone bent one, you'd find a sturdy bike rack, stick your wheel in there and tweak it back into shape. More or less.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hmmm.....I can't tell you anything about them. I've never seen them before.

They don't look bad. Though I wouldn't even think of it at 'list' price. $250. But that sale price of $129 is at least looking close to reasonable.

Still, you could put together a set of wheels from someone like Niagara Cycle that would be just fine for less.

Besides that, I'd certainly guess that those wheels are true when new. But if the road gives them any kind of wobble then I suppose you're finished.

I think I'm getting a bit less excited over those wheels. They do look nice. But I just wonder.......
Thanks for the reply!

a. RE: Truing after rim bending - yes, thats a concern for me as well.

b. Can you create a similar 36 spoke wheelset thru Niagara that is cost effective?

c. Can you post the links to the parts?

Thank you again! :)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Thanks all for the replies!

a. I was away for the holiday weekend, and I will let you know after I call the vendor(s).

b. Maybe the vendor can chime into the post?

c. RE: Truing after rim bending - yes, thats a concern for me as well.

d. Does anyone have a similar 36 spoked wheelset made that you can share the info with?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have a set of new worksman steel with rear coaster brake and front drum, I was planning on using but haven't gotten around to it... interested???? PM me a fair offer.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I have a set of new worksman steel with rear coaster brake and front drum, I was planning on using but haven't gotten around to it... interested???? PM me a fair offer.
Nice wheels! Thanks for the offer - i'll let you know. (looking to go another direction, with the 6 iso holes on the motor drive side)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,
a. I'm on hold with the vendor as I type this ...
b. FYI, gasbike.net and kingsmotorbikes.com are the the same company
c. I'll let you guys know ...

:)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Direct info from vendor:
Jerry:
a. wheelset = 2 wheels? front and back?
b. is the spacing of the rear wheel - 135mm?
c. is the engine drive sprocket and normal sprocket on the other side interchangeable, with standard hole sizes - threads?
d. is there any other sprocket sizes that are available for sale like 40 and 48? Thank you

Call accepted by operator GasBike Sales. Currently in room: GasBike Sales, Jerry.

GasBike Sales:
a) yes b) I don't know the spacing? They are 26" I'd have to check if the sprockets are interchangeable because one comes attached. No other sprocket size available.
GasBike Sales:
Ok. I just asked. They are interchangeable
Jerry:
a. shipping cost t 32137? b. tire size used range that works?
GasBike Sales:
depends on where you live
Jerry:
GasBike Sales:
Create an order and it will tell you
Jerry:
ohh ok. what tire sizes are compatible please?
GasBike Sales:
26" diameter. Fairly wide.
GasBike Sales:
We just got these so I'm not real familiar
Jerry:
ie 1.5, 1.75, 2.125, 2.25 ......
Jerry:
Can you talk to someone who might know the answer please?
GasBike Sales:
one sec
Jerry:
OK - Thank you for your help ...
GasBike Sales:
1.25 to 1.75
GasBike Sales:
Thank you for visiting GasBike.net!

PS: So the way I see it -
a. 2 wheels, front and back
b. cnc machined made specifically for gas motored bikes
c. 6 hole iso on motor drive side for disc brake option
d. (Should be) PERFECTLY aligned rear motor drive sprocket.
e. Seems like there is FREE SHIPPING with this!

Question: is a 18 tooth sprocket kit work with this or do you use a multi gear sprocket 6, 7, 8 speed? (I forgot to ask)

Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I really don't like dealing with gas bike or king's but those are tempting at that price.... the things to watch out for with mag wheels are the bearing races inside the wheel... if they're not interchangeable with something and you get a scratch or gouge on them it's game over for that wheel.
Speaking from back in my BMX days, a lot of us used mag wheels because of their durability but I've cracked 2 rear bearing races and both times there was nothing to do to fix them but to replace the wheel. The bearing races need to be made from a rather hard steel alloy and we used to jump the bikes a lot as well as any and every other stunt we could think up and it was not uncommon to be riding home and one of us feeling a slight roughness coming from a wheel, we would flip the bike upside down and crank the pedals to get the wheel spinning then listen for it or feel for it by pressing our hands on the frame close to the spinning wheel, then baby the bike to my house or another friend's house who had a garage full of tools. Sometimes it was just the bearing losing it's adjustment or lack of proper lube, but other times we would try and adjust the cones which made it feel worse, then when taking the balls out and cleaning up the outer race you would see a lot of little cracks all the way around the bearing race (this would happen a lot with the coaster brakes) . We would put the bike back together best we could and next time we saw that bike out riding with us it usually had a new rear wheel. The spoke rims tended to withstand the abuse of jumping better since the spokes offered some shock absorbing ability, not much, but probably just enough flex to help prevent cracking the bearing race, the mag wheels send All the shock to the axle and bearing so these were always either losing their adjustment, getting flat spots on the balls, or cracking the outer races. Sometimes we would find a nick on one of the cones when repairing a bike which just meant replace that cone, but when it cracked the bearing race it meant get a new wheel.
other than jumping or riding on really rough trails or roads, adjusting the cones way too tight can cause a race to crack and there were a few who did just that when trying to seat their bearings at their own home without one of us who knew what we were doing watching or helping...
This was really common with the Lester mags, not so much of a problem with Motomags or the nylon mags.

I guess with a 26 inch or larger rim and no jumping or hitting pot holes at high speed etc, they wouldn't have as much of this problem, especially on a street ridden bike and may not be a problem on a dirt ridden bike if it has suspension.

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I really don't like dealing with gas bike or king's but those are tempting at that price.... the things to watch out for with mag wheels are the bearing races inside the wheel... if they're not interchangeable with something and you get a scratch or gouge on them it's game over for that wheel.
Speaking from back in my BMX days, a lot of us used mag wheels because of their durability but I've cracked 2 rear bearing races and both times there was nothing to do to fix them but to replace the wheel. The bearing races need to be made from a rather hard steel alloy and we used to jump the bikes a lot as well as any and every other stunt we could think up and it was not uncommon to be riding home and one of us feeling a slight roughness coming from a wheel, we would flip the bike upside down and crank the pedals to get the wheel spinning then listen for it or feel for it by pressing our hands on the frame close to the spinning wheel, then baby the bike to my house or another friend's house who had a garage full of tools. Sometimes it was just the bearing losing it's adjustment or lack of proper lube, but other times we would try and adjust the cones which made it feel worse, then when taking the balls out and cleaning up the outer race you would see a lot of little cracks all the way around the bearing race (this would happen a lot with the coaster brakes) . We would put the bike back together best we could and next time we saw that bike out riding with us it usually had a new rear wheel. The spoke rims tended to withstand the abuse of jumping better since the spokes offered some shock absorbing ability, not much, but probably just enough flex to help prevent cracking the bearing race, the mag wheels send All the shock to the axle and bearing so these were always either losing their adjustment, getting flat spots on the balls, or cracking the outer races. Sometimes we would find a nick on one of the cones when repairing a bike which just meant replace that cone, but when it cracked the bearing race it meant get a new wheel.
other than jumping or riding on really rough trails or roads, adjusting the cones way too tight can cause a race to crack and there were a few who did just that when trying to seat their bearings at their own home without one of us who knew what we were doing watching or helping...
This was really common with the Lester mags, not so much of a problem with Motomags or the nylon mags.

I guess with a 26 inch or larger rim and no jumping or hitting pot holes at high speed etc, they wouldn't have as much of this problem, especially on a street ridden bike and may not be a problem on a dirt ridden bike if it has suspension.
Thank you very much for your input. :)

a. I do agree at this price, its SEEMS to be worth the risk.
b. And I was going to use it on the street, just to cruise along.
c. I guess its worth asking the vendor if the bearings are interchangeable.
(the sales - customer svce person didnt know too much on the item yet as the item is new. They were very helpful though.)
d. I was thinking about getting the currie ezip rear wheelset, but is about $90.00 & $40.00 to ship. Then youd still have to create the hub drive gas system. gasbike has the electric conversion kit here: http://www.gasbike.net/currie-electro-drive-electric-bike-conversion-kit.html
(pic shows wheelset and parts)

Desisions decisions ...

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I'm VERY interested in these wheels, in a lot of ways they appear they may be "The Answer". No more rag joint at all, instead a good solid integral sprocket mount. That means a simple grade 8 lock washer and bolt, and, a little medium strength Loctite should keep that sprocket in place till you put a wrench to it. Wind resistance should be significantly less, both laterally, and the associated rotational drag. At motorbike speeds those factors are far more significant to me, it's always windy in Snowflake, AZ and gusts of 70mph are actually fairly common between the mesa and town.

Around here the cheapest steel or alloy wheelset, if you can find one, will run you at least $100, and you still need a cassette. Some places you pay that then buy your axles, hubs, etc.. So seems like a super-deal to me, wish I had the cash, I'd get them right now. I think I saw a 60 day warranty? I trashed my last spoked rim in two weeks and 200 miles, I can do a lot with two months...

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
It looks like you have to add an 18t sprocket for $10 more, it's in the drop down.
So it'd be $139. It's tempting...I need to get a new set of wheels too, but I was doing that in order to buy a hub adapter... That was $84 (Husky+shimano hubs) for a 26" wheelset (plus shipping?) and then another $90 from SF for the hub and sprocket.

This would actually save money short term, but the downsides are inability to true the wheels, and it doesn't look like there is any adjustability in the rear sprocket placement to get that chain alignment 'just right'.

I'm just wondering if these are worth the 'savings' long term.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If sprockets are interchangeable you could cut the center out of a old one for spacing,or any kind of round donuts to space it out,with longer bolts..............Curt

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Or big washers, or the two piece backing plates from a rag joint I thought I counted nine holes around the hub hole? My phone is wishy washy with service and the pics don't always resolve clear, but that's due to my location... And mag rims can be trued... I watched "Evil Eric" Jhonson do it to an aluminum racing mag for an 883 Sportster. Albeit, Evil Eric is a metalurgist by trade, he has assured me he could true these ones. I'm not at all sure how, but if that old man says he can do it, I know from experience he can.

Evil Eric is one of the last of a dying breed. He put his first Harley engine together on his bedroom floor at age 13, an old side-valve of unknown year. The man is an excellent mechanic, and as I said a metalurgist with over 40 years of experience. It's been a privilege to know him and have the opportunity to learn from a master craftsman.

People get old and then... I guess I wrote all that to make sure someone remembers him...

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
It looks like you have to add an 18t sprocket for $10 more, it's in the drop down.
So it'd be $139. It's tempting...I need to get a new set of wheels too, but I was doing that in order to buy a hub adapter... That was $84 (Husky+shimano hubs) for a 26" wheelset (plus shipping?) and then another $90 from SF for the hub and sprocket.

This would actually save money short term, but the downsides are inability to true the wheels, and it doesn't look like there is any adjustability in the rear sprocket placement to get that chain alignment 'just right'.

I'm just wondering if these are worth the 'savings' long term.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
a. It is veeery cost effective for sure, vs having to build a wheel and possibly buy sprocket adapters and matching sprocket(s) ...
b. I'm guessing you can add some washers as spacers ...