monark fork disc brake mount?

GoldenMotor.com

Philphine

Aug 16, 2008
I picked up one of the sunlight (I think) monark forks with the disc brake mount on the right side. I wasn't too worried about it being on the right since I found out there are right side calipers, but I'm thinking I may try to get a dynamo hub that would then have to spin backward. I don't know if it would still work.

the thing I'm wondering is if I turn the front legs around, the caliper would have to fit between the legs and it doesn't look like there's enough clearance.

has anyone dealt with any of these issues? is there some kind of slimmer caliper if a regular one doesn't fit? or a dynamo meant to spin the other way if a regular one doesn't work? thanks for any info.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You could get a clamp on disc brake adapter so you would not need to weld. Or skip the hub..there are a lot of high powered LEDs that just take a single 3.7vbattery

Philphine

Aug 16, 2008
still fooling with this fork. anyone know what right side caliper I can find that works with this?

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
the Sunlite springer has their mount welded on the right.
just going to mount on the left with an adapter until i can weld one on.
im going with a different hub with the six bolt holes and or an adaptor.
any ways i was tryn' to find any and all info i can read on this subject being these forks are similar.
i just was wondering why the heck every fargin bicycle on this side of the hemisphere has their disk on the left and this particular fork has it's mount on the very front right.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The disc mounts are placed where they are on different forks because of the way the brake companies make the calipers.

Just look close at the brake calipers & try to picture why they can't be used on the opposite side of the fork & you'll see what I'm talking about.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
first i'd like to apologize for hi-jacking this thread(why start a new one)?
any ways i'd like to thank all of ya's for the time and response.
i am the type if it isn't in my hands i seem to read into things that are not there.
so i have ordered some hardware and brakes and rotating objects :)
wish me luck.
and Thanx So Much.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The disc mounts are placed where they are on different forks because of the way the brake companies make the calipers.

Just look close at the brake calipers & try to picture why they can't be used on the opposite side of the fork & you'll see what I'm talking about.
Maybe you are talking about some other caliper or something, but my normal caliper off the left went on the same on the right on my Monarch dual fork, dual spring, springer fork.

That is just the front fork, the one that holds the wheel and brakes, the back fork that provides the frame connection and steer tube is not pictured.

On a left side mount the mount is behind on the fork, on a right side mount it is in front of the fork.
That solves that question, the mount is mirrored on the fork, you don't need 'special' anything ;-}

Last edited:

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
yeh! i had that feeling, but continuous brain farts seem to cloud my mind sometimes.
find out for sure when my TP HY/RD gets here Saturday.
thanx guys and maybe gals for all the responses.
i will tend to post and read others insights, Two (2) heads (in this case many) are better
than 1 (0ne).

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
KC,

I'm not ready to say you're full of beans, but...
I just sat and studied the front disc brakes on two different bikes of mine. One has an Avid caliper, mounted on the left and the other bike has the TekTro Novela caliper, mounted on the right side. I have not physically taken a caliper off and tried flipping it around but when I invision doing that I see one big problem with your theory that it makes no difference.

That being cable routing. If either caliper were flipped and mounted on the opposite side of the fork it would necessitate rounting the cable in a circle to reverse the direction of pull to activate the caliper.

To clarify, the way both calipers mount dictates that the cable pulls from the top, or a direct path. Reversing the caliper to the other side would also reverse the position of the cable arm so instead of pulling upward to apply brakes, the cable would have to pull from below. It appears that you'd have a big loop in the cable and that would seem to have some impact on the force the cable is supposed to apply to the caliper.

Does this make sense? Or am I missing something obvious?

Tom

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
let me chime in. i purchased the appropriate bracket just in case for the left side.
for now it would get the strap and weld on later.
now back to lacing.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC,

I'm not ready to say you're full of beans, but...

To clarify, the way both calipers mount dictates that the cable pulls from the top, or a direct path. Reversing the caliper to the other side would also reverse the position of the cable arm so instead of pulling upward to apply brakes, the cable would have to pull from below.
Nope, it mirrors the mount, not flip it.

Here is the wheel with the caliper and rotor on the left with rear mounts.

And here is the same wheel and caliper on the right with forward mounts.

The cables still come out the top, they just grab the disc before the fork for the left side, after the fork for right side as the mounts have changed position.

That's what was getting you, front or back of the fork for the mount as it is that mirrors as far as the caliper is concerned.

I just did it, it works just dandy bud ;-}

So to recap...
For left side the mount holes face back, for right side they face forward.
http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not going out to the garage tonight, it's Christmas Eve, but I'm going to pull a caliper off one of my bikes and see how it can be mounted on the other side. I'm not doubting you, KC, but I'm a visual kind of guy and I need to see it. Your photos don't convince me because one is on a bike and the other is just the fork and I can't see the cable attachment.

Whatever, Merry Christmas to you and yours and to every member of our forum.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Merry Christmas to you and yours old friend too.
I will have the frame back early Monday morning so you will see it.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
y'all have a Merry one and a great 2016.
KC or anyone question for you, what is with the 160mm max. rotor size rating with the Sunlite's?
just like to know cause i believe 203mm is the biggest that i found can work with the TRP.
a curious goose needs to know. i think i'll email Sunlite & ask, probably won't here from them till next week.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The brake caliper pictured above is a left hand caliper!!! (Right hand calipers are very rare & usually of cheap quality).

They're made to be mounted behind the main fork leg on the left hand side.
The Sunlite replica fork pictured above (not a real Monark fork) has to mount that 'left hand' caliper on the front/right side of the fork strut so the caliper will travel with the fork movement while staying positioned on the rotor, (& also so the cable will route upwards).

This is to clarify what I said in my previous post since there seemed to be some confusion about what I was trying to say. ;)

Last edited:

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
thanx again, yeh, so much info in my head i tend to think faster than i act,
or is it the other way around? HA!
i just can't wait to put another Rad object on the bike laff
PS I believe this has given me the even brake i need.(-:
thankyou all!