Changing head tube,is this possible?

GoldenMotor.com

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Re: Is this possible?

Id say yes but I tell you who to talk to that can give you the pros and cons that would be labrat I believe he uses head tubs off of different bikes all the time

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles

mike
I have very successfully sliced bmx head tubes vertically and welded and assortment of other longer and of different diameter head tubes -- run a weld bead along both side --super strong grind to you aesthetic pleasure

also have the luxury or changing angle slightly and setting height as you desire

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL

I just want to know if I can cut off the 1" head tube and weld in a 1 1/8" head tube. I have a welding shop right around the corner from me.

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV

runnermike:

Yes, you certainly can.

take your time, and cut the old head tube away from the welds. Leave the welds on the frame tube.

Then carefully grind back the welds to virgin tube, while shaping the end of the tube to meet the new head tube. You want a very close fit to the radius of the new tube. The better this fits, the better the weld.

If you take it to a welder & it fits very close, the welder will be happy. Be sure to sand the paint back at least 2 inches from the joint. TIG welders like to see clean bare metal in the weld zone. Sand any rust from inside the frame tubes at the end as well.

Prep work is the most important part of welding. if you take dirty, poorly fitted parts to a weld shop, they will grab the MIG and butter them together because the arc will scour the crud & rust while filling the big gaps.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine

I just did this exact same thing!!! You will love the solid feel of that triple tree. Mine is a Fito purchased thru Amazon. I didn't have a doner steel frame to take from so I bought a length of 1 1/8 x 6" from metal yard. I was lucky I had the head parts - Bearings , race, cups, bar holder and spacers. already. That stuff is $$$$. Good luck.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL

Well....after much consideration....I think I am just going to swap out the steerer tube on the triple trees. Will be much easier and do not have to cut and weld the frame. I'm sure I could easily just purchase new triple tree forks, but I got a deal on these and they are some BEEFY sumb#$%hes!!!!! lol

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

I just did this exact same thing!!! You will love the solid feel of that triple tree.
Man I can't stand triple tree forks on a ride.
Besides killing the turning radius and denting the gas tank that 'solid feel' ride is like a brick and they usually leave you few inexpensive braking options.

Triple trees look cool but I'll take a mountain bike front fork with V and disc brake bosses on it over anything.
Great strength, really great ride, and good cheap brake options.
There are plenty that will drop in a 1" beach cruiser using the original forks hardware, I can typically get one for ~$50 from my local bike shop.

Anyway that's just just me, I look forward to seeing how yours turns out as I do really like the 'chopper' look, just on someone elses ride ;-}

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL

Thanks for the input KC. My triple trees have the disc brake tab, so I have good brake options. This build is going to just be a cruiser. Not going to be flying around any corners or anything like that......lol

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine

Man I can't stand triple tree forks on a ride.
Besides killing the turning radius only while walking it to put the bike away and denting the gas tank triple trees have bumper stops which prevent that from happening) no matter the fork you can dent your tank that 'solid feel' ride is like a brick no worse than any hard nose you're used to and they usually leave you few inexpensive braking options. Triple tress I've shopped all have disc caliper tabs. and side pull mountable

Triple trees look cool but I'll take a mountain bike front fork with V and disc brake bosses on it over anything.
Great strength, really great ride, and good cheap brake options.
There are plenty that will drop in a 1" beach cruiser using the original forks hardware, I would not use a 1" suspension fork on any Motored Bike. You will experience the fork twitch during braking. 1 1/8 works fine no twitch I can typically get one for ~$50 from my local bike shop.

Anyway that's just just me, I look forward to seeing how yours turns out as I do really like the 'chopper' look, You need not settle for the chopper look. Buy the 32" tree not the "36just on someone elses ride ;-}
I respect that--- to each his own

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Triple tress I've shopped all have disc caliper tabs. and side pull mountable
The trees this customer put on his bike before he brought it for motorizing were way to long but half the time that is what the customer with TT's wants so a side pull is out but like most all has a disc boss.

The Macargi TOS3.0 has 24" wheels with a gazillion spokes and there is no hub for that my bike shop could find would take a disc so new wheel.
$145 installed by the shop (disc wheel and caliper) so that is not a cheap good brake option with triple tree fork but a darn good one.

Different color rim (Macargi and their red rims, ergh) but 26" and 36 black spokes so his old style speedo will be true and a larger front wheel is common on choppers.

Speaking of the old wheel if anyone is interested in it contact me.

With the customer desired big Wizzer tank that chopper is getting, it's over all wheelbase, and the T's limiting turning this thing will need a whole parking lot to do a U turn in, heck even moving it around the shop is a pain ya know?

Again I like the chopper look, I just wouldn't want to live with one ;-}