My first race bike build 212cc predator!

GoldenMotor.com

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
I've been reading all this great information on this forum for weeks now. my plan is to build a competitive race bike for track days and just fun cruising when i'm bored.
just bought this steel framed cruiser made by Dyno. has very high quality components. most importantly it has a thread-less 1 1/8 dia. fork tube. this is the most common mountain bike size. i got this cruiser bike since i plan on buying a donor mountain bike and switching the front suspension, handle bars, disk brakes, hubs that can mount a sprocket to, and all the brake levers and such.
here is the bike and engine. i have lots of time so i should finish this bike in 1-3 weeks.

look how wide the frame is. i could run a very wide 26 inch or 24 inch tire in that frame.

1 1/8 thead less fork tube, very important to me.

engine all stock for now.

i'm pretty new and would really appreciate your professional input! if you have any suggestions and comments pleas let me know. it might make the end result much better.

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
haha i know, i woke up at 6:30 this morning because i'm so excited to work on it!
more pictures of progress in a few hours. i have a surprise...

Scotto i really like your setup, and it seems like you know a lot about this stuff so feel free to make suggestions throughout this build! if you see me doing something wrong, or if you know a better way to do something let me know!

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Good luck with the build, you will need a shoe horn to make it all work. Just take your time and chose wise the parts & placement of the items you install. Check out the one I built for ideas....

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
last night i picked up this 2011 $800 mountain bike for $140! it has all the components i wanted to switched over to my cruiser frame. i switched over the front rock shock j2 suspension, disk brakes, handle bars, seat, levers, and wheels.

here is how the cruiser looks now.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nice...that was a great buy. Keep it coming, it's lookin' good! Just one little suggestion so far, you may want to ditch the kickstand as eventually it wont support the weight of the finished bike. No rush on that though, wait till yer finished building it ;)

dnut

Last edited:

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
guys i have a questions. my new rims on the donor mountain bike were thinner than the red ones i had on the cruiser bike. i plan on running 2.5 inch hookworms. is that to thick for these rims? the tire that is on the thin rim right now is 26x1.95

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
guys i have a questions. my new rims on the donor mountain bike were thinner than the red ones i had on the cruiser bike. i plan on running 2.5 inch hookworms. is that to thick for these rims? the tire that is on the thin rim right now is 26x1.95
The 26x1.95" are a little on the narrow side for the HW 2.5" but will still work. I have the 2.5" hookworms mounted on 1" (25mm) wide Atomlabs rims and on 36mm wide Halo rims as well.

You need not worry about the width of the rim so much, it's the strength and construction of it that's all important. You really need double wall rims with heavy gauge spoke capability ie. 12g or 11g even better. You will also have to have hubs that are compatable as well ie. 32h, 36h etc. It is very important to have overbuilt heavy duty wheelsets to accomodate this size of engine in your build.

Last edited:

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Thats a nice Deuce!! I have a Deuce just like that but I mounted a 2 stroke to it. Now the frame sits in my garage w/out an engine on it and my brother Magrider wishes he owned it but na LOL.
Hey Im curious how your gonna mount the 212 in the frame. Are you gonna have the engine horizontal or vertical?

Last edited:

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
Thats a nice Deuce!! I have a Deuce just like that but I mounted a 2 stroke to it. Now the frame sits in my garage w/out an engine on it and my brother Magrider wishes he owned it but na LOL.
Hey Im curious how your gonna mount the 212 in the frame. Are you gonna have the engine horizontal or vertical?
i don't see any way to mount the engine except in a vertical position.

anyway i need the following parts:
engine mounting plate
18lb valve springs air filter and adapter
large main jet
header flange
rear sprocket that mounts to a hub that excepts a rotor
and lastly, the parts to build my own jack shaft.

guys i'd like your input. if i plan on going to 5500 RPM and want my top speed to be 50mph. clutch sprocket is 12tooth.
i need to pick two sprockets for the jack shaft and one for the rear wheel. what tooth number do you recommend for the jack shaft sprockets and the rear wheels sprocket?

also where can i order all these parts from?

my goal is to finish the bike for the race in 9 days...well see

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah, it's gonna be tough for me to get my bike ready in time for this race.....and my bike is already built laff

The only one that I know to pull off a feat such as you're attempting is the mighty flexman. He did it and so can you! AGK will be a good friend for your building needs.

dnut

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
maybe i wont be at the race after all. i don't think agk will send the parts to me soon enough. i'm going to order the parts today.
here is the rack mounted bike i just finished. i really don't like the high center of gravity. it's pretty hard to turn at high speeds. but yes it does run pretty good.