Lowrider

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I got myself one of those bikes to cruise to the beach and around traffic and maybe some road trips along the coast once I fixed some things that would worry me for longer trips.

Im planning on upgrading it with some things like lights, usb charger, a nicer paint job, bigger tank and hopefully another transmission if anything I'm looking for exist.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard, LR!
It really looks like fun!

Read the threads on suggested tools to carry and get a small toolbag.
I strongly prefer a minimum of front and rear rim brakes.

Baby steps... Begin with short trips until you learn which things will need attention more often.

Constant attention could bring you lots of fun miles! at a very low cost.

Gosh would I like buzzing around the island for a summer!
I'm jealous! :)
rc

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Looks great! How's the steering feel with the "swung out" fork?
Takes some time to get used to it even for good drivers. The first couple hours I could barely accelerate or brake. Very unstable everything but Im used to it now after 3-4 days cruising around. I cant ride a 100 ft without some people waving or screaming something. Everybody turns around.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Welcome aboard, LR!
It really looks like fun!

Read the threads on suggested tools to carry and get a small toolbag.
I strongly prefer a minimum of front and rear rim brakes.

Baby steps... Begin with short trips until you learn which things will need attention more often.

Constant attention could bring you lots of fun miles! at a very low cost.

Gosh would I like buzzing around the island for a summer!
I'm jealous! :)
rc

No need to be jealous. Just come for a visit and roast your butt in the sun. I recommend not to come in summer, because its hard to walk 10 steps here. No oxygen in the air and extremely hot, even at night.

Check out www.paradisepuertorico.com Im the owner of PR's biggest website. Feel free to browse around a bit :)

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
He's one step ahead of you Rich, he has a disc up front. Good advice on the tool bag though. :)
Yep. That was one of the reasons I bought it. But unfortunately the brake broke after 2 days so Im getting a brand-new and higher quality brake kit with new disc for 55 bucks. Right now I ride it without front brake and I almost got killed 3 times already because of it. Gotta cruise very very careful with look ahead (which I do anyways) more than ever.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh am I slipping! lol
Pathetic!

I'm going cabin crazy so got driven into town today and went into the doc's and a store with my little walker thingy... what a joke! Probably made people nervous watching me!
This is NOT fun!
And now I missed a disk on a springer, and I missed function of an entire lever on another motorized bicycle! Soon I'll be the guy babbling on the streetcorner!

...anyhow... difficult to handle the lowrider...
the problem lies directly in the rake, and trail present in the front end geometry.

The fix for this motorized bicycle would be more rake, and an un-bent springer, if you still wanted to keep it long and low. Of course it will never handle like a cafe racer, but that wasn't the object. Still, there is a range of optimal rake and trail, for 'proper' handling, and if you do not depart too much from the formulas, it should be very ride-able.
...probably lifting the neck a bit would help, in addition to the other stuff...
but that would not be quite as low.
Best
rc

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I was looking on ebay for other forks but honestly, even if its hard and even dangerous to drive, at least it looks more like a motorcycle than a bike and people turn their heads mainly because of the fork and what it makes out of the bike.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
That's a cool looking bike.
I'm with you and pretty much did the same thing, except mine is set up to look like a drag bike.
i cut 2 coils out of the front spring to lower the front end, and i'm running drag bars and a custom made exhaust.
Plus i Have a bannana seat and rear axle pegs so i can "lay" on it while i ride it.
Mine handles great, and all i have is a rear coaster brake and a rear caliper brake.
I can't really ride it with my feet on the pedals and that's why i put a caliper brake on the rear.
finally, someone who agrees that the way a bike looks, sets it apart from the crowd.
here's mine. I originally built it as a lowrider with ape hangers 4 years ago, but i changed it to the drag bike look a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Alright things start to come together. After a few weeks learning and research I know exactly what Im going to do with this ride.

Stage One: Painting, repair of rims and some other things.

Stage Two: New China Engine + Shift Kit

Stage Three: 9HP engine, wider rear for super fat tires, stronger frame and some utilities.

The only thing I'm completely undecided is the damn fork but I will end up testing a few I guess. Tank and all other details I already found online. I was going to buy wider beach cruiser slicks but they were out of stock in the store.

Today I finished the paining and got the bike back together with refurbished rims and new spokes and went for a test-drive.

I find it fun how many people wink, shout or stop me to ask a million questions :) Especially here in the Caribbean where everybody is nice and good for nice small talks.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Latest stage with custom 34t sprocket, custom suspension with bigger screw for the spring since the original one always break and I dont like to die so young, "Badass" tires, new chain, new clutch, , new magneto, wide Schwinn seat and some other stuff.

Tomorrow I will covert back to manual clutch since Centrifugal Clutch is a complete crap and later this week I will get an expansion chamber and bigger tank from Dax.

After that the next step is the 9hp engine but for now it runs absolutely great, especially the sprocket was the best buy!

Last edited:

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
I got myself one of those bikes to cruise to the beach and around traffic and maybe some road trips along the coast once I fixed some things that would worry me for longer trips.

Im planning on upgrading it with some things like lights, usb charger, a nicer paint job, bigger tank and hopefully another transmission if anything I'm looking for exist.
USB charger? - tell me more about that!