Need Transportation

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have a couple things to say. One, you put a predator on that bike, its a motorcycle. two, cops are going to notice an engine that big and you wont be able to tell them its under 50cc, whether they tear it down to check or not. you will get pulled over I guarantee it. just out of curiosity, what 14 year old needs a motorbike powerful enough to be considered a motorcycle? i know that some teens are experienced off road riders, and thats a different story. but how bad could you need transportation to consider spending $400 to 500 on building a motorized bicycle, when you could build a complete bike with a two stroke engine for less than around 300 or less? with a predator engine, you are going to need a gearbox and motor mount, and those are not cheap. not to mention a mb is going to be a challenge if you are not mechanically experienced. you can get a two stroke kit for around 160. i got my bike at walmart for 75. thats 235, and my bike has held up for two years just fine.

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
I DO NOT PLAN ON DOING THIS IN THE IMEDIATE FUTURE. Everyone who says its stupid for me to do this because I'm 14. I'm not stupid I understand the laws. I figure by the time I do this if I do I will be 15 and able to get a motor bike learners permit. To be honest I wouldn't even care if I couldn't get on the road with it. The satisfaction of making a nice bike would be great. And to everyone who says I should get a 2 stroke kit because its easier and cheaper. I simply don't want to mix gas or do it from a kit. I don't have a problem with buying a gearbox or buying/making a motor mount. Guys my mind is set I'm not saying I will even do a build. I'm just highly interested. If I do a build it will probably be a 4 stroke and I don't take shortcuts so it will be done right. Thanks to everyone for there help.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I never said it was stupid and i never said anything about your age. the title of this thread is need transportation, which would imply that you feel or believe that you need a motorbike. i was just wondering why a 14 year old needs a monster engine like a predator in a commuter bike. if its just for fun, you do what you like to do. i started out with two stroke kits, been riding them for 3 years, and am just now comfortable enough to consider a large 4 stroke engine, and i am twice your age. two stroke kits are good for beginners to learn the basic mechanics of a motorized bicycle. you havent stated if you have any prior mechanical experience or ability, and there is a very good possibility that you could get hurt messing around with a powerful engine like a predator. I wrecked my first bike, and it was a 49cc two stroke china engine and i was 26 years old. i wasnt seriously hurt, but thank god i had a helmet on. honestly when i give advice to beginners my first concern is for their safety, no matter what their age. being at the age of 14 and thinking you dont need to be as concerned with safety as the older wiser people who are trying to help you shows that you are not ready for a motorbike of any kind.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I can see where this is going.

I think the OP IS ready for a motorized bike, and maybe just the type he is thinking of building. Who is to judge?

So, let's stop the argumentative line of posting, O.K.?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can wreck a skateboard, a stroller, or a Hemi powered murdercycle. You can fall down in the shower and die if you aren't careful, so....

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A 99cc predator is not going to fold up a cruiser bike from w mart or craigslist. It's not a big heavy powerful engine.

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
Since the subject has come up I have A LOT of help as far as the mechanics go. I have basic knowledge myself. And probably have more worries about saftey because it is me getting on a bike I make so I think I should be more worried about it which I am. Oh and thanks bikeguy joe.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I didnt say any of what I said to start an argument, and I wont argue. I simply want everyone to ride safe. i dont think a predator will break a walmart bike, as i myself am getting ready to put a predator in a cranbrook.