Price of Gas these days......Let's Ride!

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I drive a car about 1,300 miles a week. Gas is around $4 a gallon.

Several gas stations know me by name. LOL, one gives me free coffee. Which is kinda nice but think it is more pity.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I drive a car about 1,300 miles a week. Gas is around $4 a gallon.

Several gas stations know me by name. LOL, one gives me free coffee. Which is kinda nice but think it is more pity.
Free coffee? I think they should buy you a new car for continued support at $4 a gallon laff

I remember when milk cost more than gas per gallon. I've got a short memory too.

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Dan 'ol buddy,
you need to find another line 'o work. If the gas bill don't kill ya,
convenience store coffee will.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan 'ol buddy,
you need to find another line 'o work. If the gas bill don't kill ya,
convenience store coffee will.

LOL Otero, it has crossed my mind. Usually while standing at the pump.

Heard a thing on NPR. Water companies have a better profit margin then oil companies.

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/2012/04/19/is-big-oil-guilty-of-price-gouging/

"Out of every dollar they did in sales during the most recent quarter, the Major Integrated Oil & Gas industry (a.k.a. Big Oil) kept 7.9 cents in earnings. Compare their 7.9% profit margin to those of Publishing – Periodicals (53.1%), Brewers (20.3%), Industrial Metals & Minerals (26%), Drug Manufacturers – Major (16.7%), Railroads (15.55), Water Utilities (12%), Cigarettes (22.5%), and Industrial Metals & Minerals (26%). Or compare it to other industries that have benefited greatly from high commodity prices such as Silver (41%), Copper (25.1%), and Gold (24%)"

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Heard a thing on NPR. Water companies have a better profit margin then oil companies.

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/2012/04/19/is-big-oil-guilty-of-price-gouging/

"Out of every dollar they did in sales during the most recent quarter, the Major Integrated Oil & Gas industry (a.k.a. Big Oil) kept 7.9 cents in earnings. Compare their 7.9% profit margin to those of Publishing – Periodicals (53.1%), Brewers (20.3%), Industrial Metals & Minerals (26%), Drug Manufacturers – Major (16.7%), Railroads (15.55), Water Utilities (12%), Cigarettes (22.5%), and Industrial Metals & Minerals (26%). Or compare it to other industries that have benefited greatly from high commodity prices such as Silver (41%), Copper (25.1%), and Gold (24%)"
Wow! I need to get me an offset printing press and change my occupation! :D

Sep 4, 2009
Texas

ahummm the difference is that those other products set on a shelf for some time before selling. Or require a lot of labor and refining. I have a hard time believing 7.9 percent. Maybe after they have thrown all the money around that they do to get us lulled into believing jobs are good for us the heck with the environment LOL!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
GAO's review of available studies indicated that the expected total water needs for the entire life cycle of oil shale production range from about 1 barrel (or 42 gallons) to 12 barrels of water per barrel of oil produced from in-situ (underground heating) operations, with an average of about 5 barrels, and from about 2 to 4 barrels of water per barrel of oil produced from mining operations with surface heating, with an average of about 3 barrels.

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-929T

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think I'll go with the Brewers @ 20.3%........beer is not only good....it's tasty! And you can always drink the profits if you like laff

dance1

did I mention gas prices still suck?

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
$4.52 here as of yesterday, All that figure tells me, given that it affects the price
of everything else. is that big oil gets 7.9% of every dollar in the country....at least.
Ever notice how gas prices always take a big jump before the elections. I wonder
how much of their overhead goes to politicians, pollsters, and "statisticians".
Remember that 7.9 figure reflects corporate profit and says nothing about what
management is paying itself. there's always a way to lie with statistics.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
$4.52 here as of yesterday, All that figure tells me, given that it affects the price
of everything else. is that big oil gets 7.9% of every dollar in the country....at least.
Ever notice how gas prices always take a big jump before the elections. I wonder
how much of their overhead goes to politicians, pollsters, and "statisticians".
Remember that 7.9 figure reflects corporate profit and says nothing about what
management is paying itself. there's always a way to lie with statistics.
Wow, I can't believe you're paying more up there than we are down here.....it's just plain wrong.

What happened to the Alaskan pipeline? Did the well dry up? laff Sounds funny but we have too pay the price unfortunately :(

I guess it just gives you more reason to do what we already enjoy doing.......motorizing bicycles!

dance1

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Well Scotto,
At least we're ready for the worst; my rig gets 140 mpg,(100 mpg with
the trailer hooked up and the smaller primary pulley). Iffin the gas runs out
altogether, we can still rip off the engines and pedal. My mileage has gone up
since my carb's bin suckin' up all that radioactive Japanese mist comin' in
from the Pacific. I probly got da world's first nuclear powered bicycle. I've
done the electric thing without a great deal of satisfaction; sews I guess
I need a good place to grow some corn.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
P.S. A great big chunk of that price is tax so that highway contractors can
pay larger kickbacks to politicians for un-needed infrastructure where the money
would be better spent on a bike-friendly system like the Dutch have.

See: Dutch bicycle embassy.com. Those people have really got their $#/^
together!