Extreme Free Ride Moped Mountain Bike

GoldenMotor.com

heffebarnes

Dec 20, 2011
Clovis, CA
Hello all. What I have built here is a extreme Free Ride Moped or Extreme motorized mountain bike, however you want to interpret it. It all started because I was tired of building motorized bikes and breaking them due the bicycle frame and suspension were never intended to take that kind of abuse with the added weight of the engine. I got the idea from Motoped Santa Cruz . It looks like they make a great product but because they used bicycle parts I felt that it would still be a bit weak. I know you are all thinking it’s a bit heavy, and your right, it is. But, because it has a 90cc engine on it, weight was not my biggest concern. It still comes in much lighter than any dirt bike on the market by far.
The motor is a 90cc auto clutch.
Front and rear tires are both 21in excel rimes.
Front and rear suspension is from a 1989 YZ 250
Rear sub frame was from a pocket bike that I chopped up
Seat and gas tank were also from a pocket bike
I took a set of 3 piece cranks from a BMX bike, had the shaft machined and extended to fit the pedals.
As you can see I used a series of jackshafts to transfer the pedal energy and the engine energy to the rear tire.

Attachments

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
It looks good, how's it run so far? I'm sure a lot of work went into planning and building it but why bother with pedals at all, seems like they'll be pretty much ineffective and just gonna be in the way?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Great bike! I just love full sus bikes. Bet the street etc is as smooth as butter on that bike(^)

Interesting Jshaft..

heffebarnes

Dec 20, 2011
Clovis, CA
The pedals don’t really get in the way; it feels like a downhill mountain bike. The power is good and very usable. The reason I built was because I wanted to make something nobody had before. Sure some have built motorized mountain bikes before, but I wanted to make something that was way overkill. I like to thrash on this stuff and it can take the abuse and keep coming. It may not make a lot of sense to some but it was great fun to build and a blast to ride. Turns a lot of heads. Thanks for the comments!!

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Very good job! You know, you could put a 49cc similar engine on a build like that, and still have good adequate performance and be street legal !!
I like it a lot!

heffebarnes

Dec 20, 2011
Clovis, CA
"Do you plan to add fenders?"

At this point I dont think so. Most of the riding I do is in urban riding. I wanted to leave it kinda raw for now.

heffebarnes

Dec 20, 2011
Clovis, CA
Very good job! You know, you could put a 49cc similar engine on a build like that, and still have good adequate performance and be street legal !!
I like it a lot!
For some reason I totally forgot about that when I was building it. That is a great idea. I think for now I will "hide" the cc on the eninge for now (grind it off). We will see how far that gets me.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The pedals don’t really get in the way; it feels like a downhill mountain bike. The power is good and very usable. The reason I built was because I wanted to make something nobody had before. Sure some have built motorized mountain bikes before, but I wanted to make something that was way overkill. I like to thrash on this stuff and it can take the abuse and keep coming. It may not make a lot of sense to some but it was great fun to build and a blast to ride. Turns a lot of heads. Thanks for the comments!!
Cool, and again nice job. You said extreme free ride so I'm thinking you'll be using it off-road and some on single track. You should have plenty of power, I commented about the pedals because that'll be what hangs on high centers and the tread or Q factor on them is pretty far apart.

Have you seen these:
Project M85 - About the Prototype
FX Bikes Mountain Moto World’s Lightest Motorcycles 125lb 125cc 125mpg

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
We push our motorized bicycles on the race track with some big power. Our fastest bike has a 4-stroke making about 18hp. We enjoy racing and its fun pushing the limits. After many upgrades the bikes start looking more like small motorcycles and less like bicycles. No matter what you call it, it's fun building something extreme. This off road bike is definitely extreme and the average motorized bike could never match something like this. I love this bike. Looks like a fun ride!

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
We push our motorized bicycles on the race track with some big power. Our fastest bike has a 4-stroke making about 18hp. We enjoy racing and its fun pushing the limits. After many upgrades the bikes start looking more like small motorcycles and less like bicycles. No matter what you call it, it's fun building something extreme. This off road bike is definitely extreme and the average motorized bike could never match something like this. I love this bike. Looks like a fun ride!
Kewl, if it's on a closed track or private land.

On a public street it will matter what it's called, to the rider and eventually to anyone else riding something that resembles it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I like this build... a lot actually :D

True, in it's current configuration it wouldn't be a legal motorized bicycle in most areas, but one of the things I appreciate most about this build is it's options, it's versatility. With pedals included in the design & as the horizontal four strokes like that one are available under a bunch of brands & price ranges (including Honda), your choice of any engine size from a 49cc to a 125cc stroker, w/a vast array of different transmissions types & number of gears, and ofc the ton of aftermarket parts - legality would be a simple matter of picking a vehicle classification, any two wheeled vehicle classification & altering it slightly to suit.

Lighten it a bit & stick a 49cc in it & it's a motorized bicycle, add fenders & lights & it's a moped, put pegs instead of pedals & drop a performance package in the motor & it's a motorcycle.

It's the overall design that lends itself so well to any application & that takes some doing, particularly when adapting bits from other vehicles & making sure to stick with commonly available parts. When the end result is as good as this, ya gotta respect the builder's planning & execution - no matter what application may be chosen.

Thanks for sharing heffebarnes (^)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
21" excel wheels Is that a motor cycle size? were can one get them?

Thats realy Awesome build..................Curt