help with OCC sprocket installation needed

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I have tried everything I can think of. Is there a trick to getting a sprocket on these things??

Buying a sprocket adapter is not an option right now, and I know that these things can be fitted with the kit sprocket

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
DId you look through all the posts on OCC bikes? There's a ton of videos on youtube with OCC bikes, just search OCC bikes or OCC motorized bikes, you'll get a whole list. Most of the vids suck. How many times can you be told,"This is a gas tank, this is a throttle VROOOM VROOOM." until it sounds like it's going to blow it's guts out :p but you can look to see what others have done.

I think Dave31 has mounted the sprocket direct to the hub by drilling for the 9 bolts. There are two bolt circles for the sprockets and the smaller diameter of the two will allow something like this. I got one of those for my current build but had to drill it to the larger bolt circle. I've looked for a post on how he did it but haven't found it. Maybe he'll post and we'll all see :)

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I searched all the combos I could come up with on OCC sprocket instalation and found nothing here. On Youtube there were two fairly good tutorials, but one completely left the sprocket install out and the other only said that he had the same problem I am having but said nothing about how he solved it

I am thinking about either not using all the bolts or notching out the flange on the sprocket with a dremel if I can without disassembling the wheel

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I had to elongate the holes with a dremel. Have been using the bike for two yrs. No problems with the sprocket yet. Take the extra time to make the sprocket TRUE, it will payoff big time. That bike works as well as the one that i have with a hub adapter.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I was considering doing that and will on the next 4 but I managed to manhandle this one into place.

I am still in the process of moving into my new house and haven't been able to get to the workshop yet so most of my tools are still missing in action and I really need to get this one done as soon as possible.

The center hole fits the sprocket like it was made for it, but i do see some issues with truing the wobble out, as soon as I find my wrenches.

Thanks for the help

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I used a 41 tooth sprocket from bgf.it has elongated holes and works ok.that cheap motor mount works fine as well

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
For my future builds on these frames I will definitely get the elongated holed sprocket or ream out the ones I already have.
This one just needs to go together quickly and I'm not getting much for the effort.

I have a formerly electric one the has a huge rear drumlike hub with a free wheel adapter on the side opposite the sprocket. I'm going to look into a tophat for that one

scootchamaria

Apr 14, 2012
Olympia, Wa
*OCC Stingray
*Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit
*Barry's mount & muffler
*TOTAL N00B (fast learner)

I also have the same problem with the hub/sprocket kit from a Grubee 66cc......I also used a dremel on the hub to make the 9 bolts slide in straight...all 9 went through where the spokes meet the hub, and all seems well. So my questions are:

The kit comes with all those half moon plates and also 2 rubber gasket thingies....am I to sandwich the spokes between these rubber gaskets?

And what is the best way/trick to 'true' out the sprocket once it is in place? A tool? Close one eye and torque down the wobble? Do I want to unscrew some of the bolts a little to adjust or strictly tighten? I imagine most of it is patience and time, which I have plenty of.

Also, concave part facing out or in?

Thanks

Last edited: