First Build

GoldenMotor.com

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
It's official! I started my first build today. I paid $50.00 for the Worksman but it is rough to say the least. I stripped it down & powder coated the wheels since the frame needs so much attention. I will be using Morini power.

Last edited:

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
I tore down the Worksman today & media blasted it which uncovered all of it's flaws but it's ready for chopping. It's nice having a big blasting cabinet.

Last edited:

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
Looks like it's gonna turn out nice keep the pictures coming. (^)
Thanks, but I have a lot of work ahead of me. This bike was previously used in a John Deere plant & they were not afraid of a MIG welder. Just about every bolt had been welded including the stem. I had to loosen the headset & cut the fork tube to get it apart. The fenders & the basket were even welded in place.

I hope to have a frame jig welded up by the end of the week.

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
looks good. nice frame. should be a nice cruiser and nice color for the rims
It will actually be a RestoMod BTR when I'm done. If my brazing goes well I plan to just powder coat the frame in a high gloss clear. Otherwise it will be powder coated in Thompson Green over Super Chrome. The motor & exhaust will be coated in a heat dissipating ceramic.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Looks like ur on your way to a real nice mab!

Would u tell me what u used to bake your rims?
do u got infra-red?

I'm still at the toaster oven stage on really small parts...

Best
rc

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
Looks like ur on your way to a real nice mab!

Would u tell me what u used to bake your rims?
do u got infra-red?

I'm still at the toaster oven stage on really small parts...

Best
rc
I use a digitally controlled 8'x8'x10' convection oven. Infra-red doesn't really work for custom coating since the parts vary in size & shape.

Burner & Controls

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thanks, but I have a lot of work ahead of me. This bike was previously used in a John Deere plant & they were not afraid of a MIG welder. Just about every bolt had been welded including the stem. I had to loosen the headset & cut the fork tube to get it apart. The fenders & the basket were even welded in place.

I hope to have a frame jig welded up by the end of the week.
Hey joe , didnt ya know a mig welder is just nuts an bolts in wire form ? sheesh everyone knows that ! hahaha.
frame cleaned up nicely .

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
You've got skills bro, can't wait to see your build completed!

Peace Crazy Horse.
Thanks so much. I hope you don't have to wait too long. I sold my Vette this weekend so I'll be buying the motor, metal & tooling later this week.

Hey joe , didnt ya know a mig welder is just nuts an bolts in wire form ? sheesh everyone knows that ! hahaha.
frame cleaned up nicely .
Yeh but I'll be using my new TIG welder!

Gosh Joe, that's a REAL oven!

:)
rc
It sure is. I was able to fit this snow plow in it.

I like to go big, Here's my parts washer.

and here's my media blaster.

and here is my filtration system, yes that's a human on top of it.

Last edited:

Mrfixxit

Sep 5, 2011
Fremont, ca
Did some welding to my 76 Schwinn frame and powder coated it candy purple...had a great time spoking the wheels(not).. I designed the rear sproket -2 piece. Pretty happy with my first bike...30mph all day long!

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Did some welding to my 76 Schwinn frame and powder coated it candy purple...]
TIG.........I am jealous Joe . I have always wanted one of those.
WOW YOU GOT A PAINT CODE FOR THAT PURPLE if you dont mind I just fell in love with that color .

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
Here's a couple other welders we have in the shop. It's nice to have access to good equipment.

220 Volt Lincoln automatic MIG

220 Volt Pro Spot MIG. This thing is incredible. It can weld dissimilar metals & metal/plastic laminates while recording every weld.

Last edited:

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
I haven't had much time to work on the bike but here are a few shots.

Sportsman 200 tank powdercoated in Sky White.

Sturmey Archer hub powdercoated in Black Chrome II

Linkage suspension in Sky White & Black Chrome II