What caused this?

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats a condition known as blushing. The evaporation of the solvent lowers the temp of the painted object until it pulls water/humidity from the air. Its common to fast evaporating solvents like in lacquer and fast drying rattle cans. Not so common in slower paints like the old enamals. A top coat will set it right, but be sure to wait until the previous coat have dried enough or you might get a wrinkle finish. Used to own a body shop in Orlando, am well familar with this problem.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
wow Rusty you found someplace that still had alkyd , that stuffs been gone from my area for years ! better save the can in a glass case its a museum peice ! almost like finding a old can of laquer color or clear .
as far as the paint line I use here , ever heard of basf chemicals they make diamont bases, glasurit bases an single stages,I use the diamont line , but getting ready to switch over to waterbourne colors in our area as well , personaly I used those ages ago an did not like them but tech has changed who knows .

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol
Yah, I know basf... they are HUGE ! one of the german bayerische coal tar chemical concerns... :) better living thru chemistry :)

NOW is the time to have learned abt waterborne application because it's all we're gonna get anymore lol
I couldn't say it's any btr, healthwise... it's chock full of ingredients u can't decipher without a phd in molecular chemistry ! No clue what the longterm effects might be. or what the longevity of the coating may really be under real life conditions.

I suspect the new latex products I applied thousands of gallons of in residential building is a major part of my health problems today.
I sure don't think anyone would have a problem painting their motorbike, though.

...I recently heard of a fellow who belongs to a local lapidary/rockhound club who got tagged because he does a lot of rock sawing... his diamond blades are lubricated with special oils for the purpose and he had been buying 55gal drums of it to get a btr price... an agency inquired abt his disposal methods.
...and they wanted very specific answers!!!
I don't know the outcome, but my guess is he'll soon be in a new hobby.

...yah, cb2 is probably correct on the blush... the pic shown in the OP doesn't really give enough info...
them rattle cans just leave a lot to be desired, imo.

Best
rc

...I'm just another hack when it comes to painting cars and bikes...
I know many fellows who do top quality work and I wouldn't ever come close to their excellence... I haven't even made all the mistakes yet!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i used to go to home depot and get my colored paint and drop it off a couple isles away. then come back a week later and buy it as a return. it's not right, but it's CHEAP! and a better deal than those hot dog's they sell outside the exit.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Sounds like an Abbie Hoffman "Steal This Book" kinda thing.
NOT good.

I live in a two horse town and do my best to support local merchants.
It's in our better interests to do so.
If they are unable to generate profit, they could very easily close their doors.
Enough of that going on, as it is!

If I can not afford to purchase what I would really like, I'll find a way to get by with lesser options.

It ain't quite so glorious as the 1st cabin, but I'm still havin' fun.
rc