springer straight or bent

GoldenMotor.com

bugnut

Aug 19, 2011
Alabama
Hi id like to put a springer front end on a trex mtn bike would the bent one lower the front end and how much could i change rear wheel size to make up the difference or is it best to go with the straight and keep everything the same help please

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
The problem is that we don't know the changes that a springer fork will put into both the rake and trail of your current fork. I had a similar problem with the current bike I own now. I installed a suspension fork in a late 90s mountain bike frame. The problem I have was that the fork was too long and that cause the bottom bracket to be too high making the bike unstable. What I had to do was to substitute the suspension fork for a rigid fork that was slightly longer than the one that came with the frame. I have had no problems with stability in my current setup.

A good idea is to measure the length of the fork tubes and to see how far out from the fork crown the fork ends protrude. Hopefully if your Springer doesn't match it will be close enough to where your bike does not become unstable.

mike

bugnut

Aug 19, 2011
Alabama
Thanks Retromike3 your info will help a lot --Ill try to get some measurements from the dealers if thats possible --there are no bike shops here where i live so i have to rely on web sales ----BIG THANKS