Tire question

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
First off, I am NOT going to do this! But I was wondering. On a cruiser bike, or any other really, how much faster would the bike be if you changed out the big fat tires and used the very high pressure skinny tires? I know there would be a lot less rolling resistance. Just something that popped into my vacuum head for no logical reason! :)

Terry

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
You might pick up a mile or two per hour, because the mass and contact area are far less... if you could stand the bone jarring shocks from passing over normal pavement!

Even in AugieDog's old posts from the salt flats he said he was glad he had wider tires because the cracks in the salt would have swallowed up a skinny tire! And he was smokin' across Bonneville at a blazing 22mph !

Gotta remember, too, the tire protects the rim!

I'm running a 195 on the rear for chain clearance, and one that's maybe 8 or 10mm wider on the front for a bit of cush. Now I'm trying to figger if I should endure a bit of chain contact on my sidewall just to get more cush on the rear.

Best
rc

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Hmmm, not disagreeing, but I would have thought it would make a bigger difference. I can't see why anyone would want a skinny tire. If anything I would go bigger on my Dyno Roadster. More road surface etc.

Terry

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've not run the ribbons (simply impossible 'round here heh), but I do know I've about 3.5mph difference between new, aggressive knobbies and the same sized smoothie cruiser tire & there's also a mph or two to be had in tire pressure as well it seems.... which I think counts as significant w/these things *shrug* Perhaps as interesting is the up to 2.5 I'll get from a dry, crusty chain to the greasy goodness ;)

I s'pose this is a case of "it all adds up" lol

Freakin' gps is gonna be the death of me tho o_O

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
When I get my new Monark fork maybe I'll doing some testing at different pressures and using a GPS. It would be fun and maybe some interesting results.

Terrybrnot

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
just say no to skinny tires, too bumpy and no flat protection. oh and the chain rubbing against the tire, bad idea, it will wear a hole and then BOOM there goes your sidwall

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That would be great to have some definite results, Terry.
I'm sorting through my pile of salvage to find the best looking rims that seem stout, and now that I've slid out and hit the gravel once because of the Metro tires I'm going to look through the pile for some with a narrow center bearing section that have some sort of tread pattern to the shoulder of the tire.

I don't think I want to go less than a 195 width because I weigh 240.

HV, gosh... those pedalists in the tour are already in position for a tumble and roll, and they are going for the gold. Different story if you are going all out for recognition. and they DO have some spectacular crashes EVERY race!

When I learn a little more about these MABs I'll try to build a speed bike, like Augie did, using my little hedge trimmer for power and race it against a clock out on the back road near Pozo. If I can get 1 MPH per cc like Augie did, I'd consider that an accomplishment! ...and I shall use a 10speed tire on the front, with probably only 1 brake, too.
...sumthin' 2 do...

Best
rc

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
HV, gosh... those pedalists in the tour are already in position for a tumble and roll, and they are going for the gold. Different story if you are going all out for recognition. and they DO have some spectacular crashes EVERY race!
Yes, of course, it was an observation pertaining to rolling resistance and performance, not safety, which I believe is what Fulltimer was getting at.

First off, I am NOT going to do this! But I was wondering. On a cruiser bike, or any other really, how much faster would the bike be if you changed out the big fat tires and used the very high pressure skinny tires? I know there would be a lot less rolling resistance. Just something that popped into my vacuum head for no logical reason! :)
Terry

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow, BA... you noticed 2.5mph difference between rusty old chain and a greezy one! That's a lot!

I really do need to run better stuff !
rc

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Wow! nice job on the schwalbe site Terry. I try to learn something everyday and i got a weeks worth there. There seems to be a lot of customer input on making creme tires in smaller widths on there also. This is good to see and the whole site is very informational. Very cool, Thank you
Skitch