so confused on legal issues in CA

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
ok so i hear alot of people saying you need registration and plates and have to fill out the 230 form, others say nay, i just found this on the dmv website

"Motorized Bicycles
There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:

A two- or three-wheeled device, capableofnomorethan30mphon level ground, and equipped with:
Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406[a])
A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC §406)
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

Must be 16 years of age or older.
Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements. (CVC §12804.9)
You may ride a moped in a bicycle laneatareasonablespeed.Becareful of bicyclists using the lane."

gotten off here http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycle_htm/operation.htm?lang=en#motorized

so can i ride around as long as i wear a helmet and have lights and not worry about being pulled over? or should i go ahead and get plates. and a m2 license? thanks.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
ok so i hear alot of people saying you need registration and plates and have to fill out the 230 form, others say nay, i just found this on the dmv website
so can i ride around as long as i wear a helmet and have lights and not worry about being pulled over? or should i go ahead and get plates. and a m2 license? thanks.
Here is how to read the DMV website.
Most cops on the street and DMV drones do not know anything about
motorized bicycles.

Motorcycles, Mopeds and Scooters Defined

The DMV website is not written very clearly and has outdated laws
and fees but from the link above.

The $18 license plate fee is now $19

============================================
A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is:

(CVC §406(a))

A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

– Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.

– A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.

– An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion.

Driver must have a motorcycle license (M1 or M2).

A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.

==================================================
(CVC §406(b))

A “motorized bicycle” is also defined as a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. .

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

– Must be 16 years of age or older.
– Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
– Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC §12804.9).

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
thanks, so i should go ahead and jsut get my plates since its not even a hassle. but the license will be only because if your under 21 you need to take a safety course.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It does not matter if you are 21 or 121 years old. You need at least an M2 license or an M2 endorsement on another class of license.
For instance, I have a Class C-M1 license.
I can drive a car, truck, van or any sized MB or motorcycle.

Here, in this thread, bairdco spells it all out in plain english in the very first post.
All of the other posts are discussion on the subject.
http://motorbicycling.com/f17/real-deal-california-law-15268.html

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
thanks, do i have to take the safety course for my permit? or can i go take my written test, get my permit for now, then take the MSF course and get my license?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
thanks, do i have to take the safety course for my permit? or can i go take my written test, get my permit for now, then take the MSF course and get my license?
I think that you have to take course first if you are under 21.
Call the DMV.

I took the motorcycle safety course many years ago and it is a
life saver.
Riding motorized bikes is very dangerous. Even more risky than riding a
bicycle or a real motorcycle.
You have a split second between avoiding an accident which could
lead to severe injuries or death.
You young guys under 25 think you are immortal......

If you want to ride 2 wheeled bikes take the course. $250? How
much is your life worth?

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
lol yea ino but i wanted to get my permit so i can ride legally, i want to know if i can take the written test before the MSF course, and i know how dangerous it is, ive seen careless friends of mine get hit on bicycles before ive rode fixed gear bicycles to school since i was a freshman and have had my share of close calls, drivers are careless and you have to always be ready for there idiotic moves, ive been cut off, almost rear ended, and shoved offf the road in my riding days already so trust me i am fully aware of the dangers, and plan on taking the course but i want to get my permit so i can ride legally.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
How much is a citation for going down the street under engine power?
rc
You are allowed to drive down the street under engine power.
What would the violation be?

Your question makes absolutely no sense.
Could you be a little more specific?

You can legally ride a motorized bike in CA as long as you
comply with your M2 drivers license, DOT helmet and $19 plate
as well as a few other items like a mirror, reflectors, lights etc.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
UPDATE: scheduled an appointment at the DMV to take my permit test this Monday idk how i got so lucky, usually you have to wait weeks, any how im sending my form in with the 19 bucks monday for my plates and ill be set, btw do you guys think i should just go and take the m1 test since it covers the m2 abilities? or should i just take my m2 permit test for now and m1 if i ever buy a motorcycle

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
There is no difference at the Written Test Stage of the Process between M1 & M2. The difference is at the Skills Test Stage and then the difference is what type of cycle you take the test with. A moped gets you an M2 and a motorcycle of any size gets you an M1. The skills Test is a Moot point if you take the Rider Course, as the course becomes your skills test and I'm pretty sure that all the rider courses use motorcycles and not mopeds. If it were me I'd get the M1.

ocscully

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
yea im going to, i figure might as well if it lets me drive everything in the m2 class, and that way when i move onto a real motorcycle ill already have a license, or permit at least.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
What I did was buy a cheap used motorcycle, an old Honda 350 to learn on. Passed the test with it and then sold it for what I bought it for. Every Saturday I would drive it over to DMV and practice the slow speed ride around the circle lines. That's the hardest part, the slow circle. It's easy to ride a bike fast in a straight line. Try real slow around a tight curve. If you put your foot down, you fail. They also put up cones and you have to slalom around them. I practiced for a couple months and passed the test 1st time.

Do it, you'll like it!