Easy rim sizing question

GoldenMotor.com

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
I have received conflicting info an now I am confused, but I am confident you will all set me straight in short order.

Q: do 26" rims (not tires) come in different widths? If so, how is the width measured (inside or outside the lip) and what is the "standard" rim width for a cruiser?

Gracias!

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas
The ones I have are stamped for the tire size. EX: 26X1.7/5 not sure where the 1.7/5 is measured, but I do know a 2 1/8 tire puts the tire close to rubbing the pedal side chain and definately makes it rub on the motor chain.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Thanks guys.

Bairdco - great links. Thank you. I have read the links you provided and found them very helpful. I think I have answered my questions after reading these pages. I see from one of the links that the rim width is measured inside the rim flanges. However the rest of the pages talk about width as tire width, not rim width. In fact, the other link does indicate that you can switch out tire width's, but does not add detail about the rim width.

The table of rim sizes in one of the links tells me (I think) that there are multiple rim widths (e.g. 26 x 1 3/4 for schwinn cruisers, or 26x1.0 - 2.125 for many mountain bikes and cruisers).

I take this to mean that there are multiple widths of rims, that there is no standard width, and that any width tire will likely work on a 26" rim. I further assume that my rim is a 26 x 1.75 given that is a schwinn cruiser (delMar). I'll measure it tomorrow to confirm.

Thanks all.