Felt Heritage Cruiser 4-stroke Mount Problem

GoldenMotor.com

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
I really want to put a Honda into the Felt Heritage Cruiser because it has springer forks, twin V-brakes and 7 speed derailleur gears. The problem is the downtube doesn't bow out like on a Schwinn and I'd probably have to make up my own mounting tray to fit the narrow gap at the bottom. Making a mounting tray is not a very big deal - probably $150 bucks to have fabricated from a good drawing. The attached picture shows a Honda engine drawn at scale into a Felt and it really is tight. The hub flanges are Felt special ones and probably get in the way of the sprocket bolt holes so that would quie likely require another special sprocket and clamp job like on the Schwinn D7 I just built.
I like this bike so much cos it's cheaper than the Schwinn D7 yet its a well made bike and it is alloy not steel so it will go faster. I've drawn the motor to scale in the attached picture and included some dimensions. The mounting tray needs to compress to about 180mm length. I'm really worried about buying this bike cos it might not fit the motor. I can't see it in the flesh as there are none in Australia.
Does anyone know more about this bike? It's so nearly the perfect bike but for that downtube. Long wheelbase and everything. I think I'll have to let it go and stay with the big heavy Schwinns and that accursed coaster brake.

Attachments

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
From the drawing sans engine detail I am not entirely sure what would be hitting the frame, but it looks like the air cleaner/carb top. You might- if its just the air cleaner casing be able to rig up a remote air cleaner with an induction pipe to the front of the motor or a right hand manifold - both of which would solve that problem. If its the carb then a small 45 degree angled manifold would be your friend there.. it doesnt have to drop by much for you to be able to shoehorn it into the available space. Another option is to make up a carb mount that puts the carb in either the space between the front tube and the tank or a mount that puts the carb up and over behind the seat mounting

So far as the bottom mount I am not so sure never having used one but I think the company who sell them could tell you if 180mm is possible.

regards the hub - if its a pain in the proverbials just get the wheel relaced with something more normal - unless there is some specific advantage to their design which I have to say I doubt.. the hubs just sound like an esoteric freewheel hub that they can charge more for..

Jemma xx

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
From the drawing sans engine detail I am not entirely sure what would be hitting the frame, but it looks like the air cleaner/carb top. You might- if its just the air cleaner casing be able to rig up a remote air cleaner with an induction pipe to the front of the motor or a right hand manifold - both of which would solve that problem. If its the carb then a small 45 degree angled manifold would be your friend there.. it doesnt have to drop by much for you to be able to shoehorn it into the available space. Another option is to make up a carb mount that puts the carb in either the space between the front tube and the tank or a mount that puts the carb up and over behind the seat mounting

So far as the bottom mount I am not so sure never having used one but I think the company who sell them could tell you if 180mm is possible.

regards the hub - if its a pain in the proverbials just get the wheel relaced with something more normal - unless there is some specific advantage to their design which I have to say I doubt.. the hubs just sound like an esoteric freewheel hub that they can charge more for..

Jemma xx
Thanks Jemma. The problem is that the downtube is not bowed like a Schwinn and the distance between the inside of the seat tube and inside of the downtube, in a horizontal line taken just above the chain guard, is 146mm. As you go upwards the distance increases but the maximunm I can get to before the top of the motor hits the top bars is about 180mm and I'd have to make my own mounting tray for that. It's all too much bother but it's such a good bike and a Honda would pull it very nicely.
That Nexus 7 hub on the Schwinn D7 is a sod to put together if you take off the wheel. The Shimano installaytion manual fails to say one absolutely critical thing that will save hours and maybe days and that is that the yellows must all be lined up and the gears must be in 1st gear before the final flange thingy ill click into place and hold it all together. To adjust the gears it has to be in 4th which they do say.
I've amended the manual accordigly and attach it here in case it is of any use to you. Sorry I can't attach it here cos the limit for a PDF is 19.5kb which is ridiculous and if I save it as a jpeg it is unreadable. It's posted on the other forum where attachment allowances are more generous. The good thing about the hub and there aren't many is that your chain doesn't keep coming off like on a derailleur and it pretty much looks after itself. The bad thing is that it has a wretched kiddies coaster brake that wouldn't stop an adult downhill. The reason I couldn't change the wheel for something sensible is that the hub represents half the value of the bike and that is $400 and I am too mean to chuck it out or flog it on Ebay.
I've just ordered 3 more cos now that I have the clamping stuff for the hub I can build them more easily. Cutting the mudguard is also quite a big job cos it has to come off and poutting it back on a 2 person job.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm just guessing that since you're posting a question to a thread that over 2 years old, you're not likely to get a reply....by the OP anyway. Just sayin.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah, it never hurts to try, that's for sure. I see no problem whatsoever with that build, I wouldn't even hesitate. Good luck man .....whatever you choose to build.

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
i figure i tis worth a shot
he might still be active
and a thread subscription will send him an email

but you are right
Yes, it might be over 2 years ago but I am still alive and I can tell you with near certainty that fitting a Honda onto a Felt Heritage would be very very tight - in fact it wouldn't work without making your own engine tray and refabricating the air filter. I never pressed ahead with te project because Felt don't supply that model to Australia and if they did it would be way too expensive. As far as I am aware nobody on either this forum or the other forum has ever used a Heritage for a Honda mount. I've posted plenty of threads asking and the response has been practically nil. The problem with this felt is exactly as I describe in original posts above. I can also tell you that steel framed cruisers are not as good as good alloy framed cruisers for Honda mounts. that has been my experience. Cheap low quality cruisers just break so stick with the good quality bikes.