Cheap CDI

GoldenMotor.com

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Has anyone tried this with any success? I bought it new for $5 and hope to get more than my money's worth...obviously it will take some modding...

Attachments

Last edited:

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I didn't receive it yet, (online auction) but it looks to have 4 poles and says it will work with 150-250cc dirtbikes and atvs and 50cc mopeds. I bought a cr80 ignition coil that I want to wire it up with. I guess I could solder some jumpers to it and attach it to the ignition coil and see what happens. If nothing, then I guess I'm out $5 but on the plus side, gained some experience.

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
ok. i think the 2 isolated poles are the "red and black" wires that go to the ignition coil. after that, i don't have a clue...help?!? I definately need a wiring diagram for this...

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
But you'd need an actual coil for it too.

Look for CR Super Coil, looks like it's right up your alley, as it's coil and CDI box combo.

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ok here goes... I created a parts drawing/wiring diagram and from what I've researched, I THINK this is how you would wire it. Still waiting on the parts, so I can't test it. PLEASE, please, please anyone who knows wiring look at this, revise it, and let me know what needs to be changed. I'm a 3D mechanical designer, not an electronics pro. I appreciate any and all help guys. Thanks!...

Attachments

Last edited:

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It could very well be. I found another one of these cdi's on ebay where the seller labeled all of the pins. That's where I got the information. I'm just wondering were the black and blue wires from the engine go. And for that matter, I didn't even take into consideration the white wire that most of us tape up. Maybe there is a place for that on this cdi. Attach it to one of the grounds maybe? Let's figure this out and maybe we all can have great ignition systems for under $25. Hop on board. Teamwork!

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Here's the pic from the other auction. And his numbering labels as follows:

1 KILL SWITCH, 6 STATOR, 5 GROUND, 4 GROUND, 3 COIL, 2 GENERATOR PULSE

(I really only half know what this means)

We have 3 wires coming off the engine (black, blue, and white) there are 6 pins on the CDI and 2 terminals on the ignition coil.... maybe one of the pins is unused?

Attachments

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It looks ok to me too. I should be receiving my ignition coil today or tomorrow, but who knows when the CDI will reach me from Hong Kong. Maybe this weekend. I'll make sure to take lots of pics of this wiring process. Watch, when I finally get this working, it will probably work just like the stock CDI...