I'm having a problem with my clutch lever and lock.

GoldenMotor.com

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Okay when I engage the lever all the way the wheel turns smooth but when I just pull it in and press down on that lever lock the wheel is still
Fighting to roll. I'm not sure, do I make the wire longer and the clutch arm at on motor?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you make the inner wire longer that will reduce the amount of travel that the lever has against the release mechanism and the clutch will release less as well, causing the clutch to drag more than it is doing now. You need to shorten the adjustment on the inner wire or adjust the flower nut. Most likely a little of both.

Perhaps this could help you out:
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/clutch-cable-clutch-adjusting-procedures-22726.html

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Thanks got the link gear. Well it seems the clutch is perfect except only with the lock lever, grabing it in all the way works like a charm. I've only been learning about these for the past 5 months do I'm hard to follow :/ so what you are saying is loosen brass screw on clutch arm and let the cable slide towards the engine making it have more slack?

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Same thing here but it looks like the adjuster on the handle is not working right.

Any replacement recommendations?

I don't like the stock clutch handle at all.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks got the link gear. Well it seems the clutch is perfect except only with the lock lever, grabing it in all the way works like a charm. I've only been learning about these for the past 5 months do I'm hard to follow :/ so what you are saying is loosen brass screw on clutch arm and let the cable slide towards the engine making it have more slack?
The cable needs to be tighter. You should shoot for little to no slack in the cable when the clutch lever (handlebar) is not squeezed.
To tighten the cable loosen the set screw on the brass cable stop and slide the stop toward the engine while pulling out on the cable. Eliminate the slack in the cable before you start messing with the flower nut or internal clutch adjustments. That's where people get into real trouble.
Tom

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Okay well in that case it has no slack. My index finger feels like it is going to break off cause I pull the clutch in at stop signs. The cable is stiff alread, almost so stiff that when I pull in the lever its a fight to get it close to the Handel bar grip.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make sure your clutch cable from the handlebars to the engine has no sharp bends or kinks. Don't tie it down against the frame with zip-ties and do as GearNut suggested in regards to lubricating the cable inside the sheath/housing.
There is a modification that you can do to make the clutch easier to operate. PM me for detailed instructions.
Also if you're using the small spring betwen the clutch arm on the engine and where the cable attaches, remove and discard it. It serves no useful purpose and can increase clutch lever pull. Leave the big spring. It's a heat shield.
Tom

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I have not lubed any cable yet but I plan on buying some cable lube for clutch throttle and brakes. I did install both springs around the clutch engine arm. Does it just make it have more resistance or does it make the lever retract better?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Experienced builders, almost without exception will tell you to not install the small spring. There is no need for it. The internal clutch return spring is quite strong and it will suffice to completely engage the clutch pads and pressure plate. As for lever return there's no need for that either. When the clutch is engaged, handle not squeezed the cable, if adjusted correctly, will be pulled tight anyway. It doesn't need a spring to help it return.

You don't need any special 'cable lube'. Any light oil will work just fine. I don't like grease and prefer something like 10w or 20W oil instead. That assures the entire cable and the housing is lubricated where grease might not reach every surface. I typically re-lube the cables semi-annually. You might get conflicting advice on that but I'm just passing along what works well for me.
Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Do you have both springs in between the cable stop on the top of the engine and clutch release arm?
There should be none there. The whole cable, black housing and all, goes inside the bigger spring. It should be positioned at the very bottom of the cable assembly just before the cable enters the cable housing stop on the top of the engine case, below the carburetor. It is there to act like a heat shield to prevent the cable assembly from coming in direct contact with the cylinder/ engine cases. It is not used as a spring per-say.

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
First thank you all for the feedback because I too had some clutch cable issues and your thread helped solve things for me.
I hope your issue is resolved.

As a new MB owner/rider mechanical fitness is the top priority.

I changed out the clutch cable, clutch lever aluminium tension adjuster which bent during use and learned how to adjust the clutch and lube the clutch pin.
Required learning more about sourcing parts which can take time as well.

Simple now to me but a frustration before.

The new cable is higher quality than stock so all is good.

I rode distance last night and today three of us local MB'ers will ride, First group ride.
Tonight another night ride solo to another town for karaoke.

again problem solved. Do not use the clutch cable adjuster at the handle because it's aluminium and will bend so keep that turned down and adjust at the clutch leaver on the motor.

Last edited:

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Do you have both springs in between the cable stop on the top of the engine and clutch release arm?
There should be none there. The whole cable, black housing and all, goes inside the bigger spring. It should be positioned at the very bottom of the cable assembly to act like a heat shield to prevent the cable assembly from coming in direct contact with the cylinder/ engine cases. It is not used as a spring per-say.

Here is what I have going in here, and Ernst glad you got a problem fixed! I have the rubber cover it until the cable stop I think. Then I hav both springs small and larger going until the clutch arm.
It does work perfect if the leve is all the way to the handlebar but lock still not good.

buhz

Mar 16, 2011
clearwater fl.
your springs are wrong , no springs on that side , take the smaller one and throw it away. the bigger one is a spring but its not, its a heat sheild to protect the outer clutch cable from the heat of the head. any other problems you have is related to cable length , tighten at post or flower nut.good luck ride safe BOB brnot

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
buhz did you right.
There should be no springs where you have them right now, just bare, exposed inner cable from the cable housing stop to the release arm.

I edited my post to hopefully clarify it better.
Edit: I went out to the garage and took pictures. They say pictures are worth 1000 words.

Attachments

Last edited:

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Thanks gearnut and buhz. I took both springs off and put bigger one on rubber cable housing. Man that cable is almost cut through the middle because of them pinch screws. Somehow I threaded it back through the small cable holes. At first it felt off so a few adjustments with the clutch arm and it good now. Even the lever lock works without drag.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Exactly. Pictures are worth a 1000 words, arn't they?
I hafta' do pictures more often I guess. It's a alot easier than trying to type it all out.

Yea I'm down 100% with pictures haha. Injabe a problemmreading and remember so I find myself reading and re reading just to not remember
Or maybe it's just because on my svrider forum people demand pics or it didn't happen lol.