Full Suspension 97' GT LTS-5 Build

GoldenMotor.com

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I got some more pics for my build. One is a mockup of the xpipe and then some pics of the Puch Hi Hi Head. Sorry my foot is in the way it wasnt holding it up like it looks just in the way.

The head unfortunatley does not have enough clearence for the piston. The piston hits the head but I going to try to double up the head gaskets to see if that helps. But then again It is very hard to start and I dont wanna ruin the freewheel on the shift kit trying to start it all the time.

Also I am glad that I changed the head or I would have never known that the stud came loose and one was stripped where the nut goes on. When I get paid I will get the head stud kit from sbp and lock tight them in. I gona order the 70cc Puch hihi head as well it has less compression but will provide the extra cooling that I am after for the slower parts of the Mt bike trails I like to ride.

2011-07-02204706.jpg 2011-07-02204728.jpg 2011-07-02204832.jpg

PS I did temp mount the xpipe and take a test ride and there is a big difference in power and torque which will really help on hills.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Wow, I really like this build! you are keeping it clean and classy and I really respect that. In terms of the head, it's kinda a crap shoot but there are different thicknesses of gaskets on different engines. The other thing is, and this will REALLY help your performance, you should see if the piston is coming up really high in the exhaust port even when it is at its LOWEST point. This is not good for exhaust flow and if you make a spacer to put at the base of the cylinder you will correct the flow and simultaneously lower compression. In terms of your stripped stud hole, well, I've been there, and you really can't get away with loctite to hold a stud in a stripped hole. You can try JB weld but I've never had luck, the only thing I would use in that specific location is a helicoil, if you're gonna do it, do it right. And as for the pipe, enjoy it! it's an awesome pipe!

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
I got some more pics for my build. One is a mockup of the xpipe and then some pics of the Puch Hi Hi Head. Sorry my foot is in the way it wasnt holding it up like it looks just in the way.

The head unfortunatley does not have enough clearence for the piston. The piston hits the head but I going to try to double up the head gaskets to see if that helps. But then again It is very hard to start and I dont wanna ruin the freewheel on the shift kit trying to start it all the time.

Also I am glad that I changed the head or I would have never known that the stud came loose and one was stripped where the nut goes on. When I get paid I will get the head stud kit from sbp and lock tight them in. I gona order the 70cc Puch hihi head as well it has less compression but will provide the extra cooling that I am after for the slower parts of the Mt bike trails I like to ride.

View attachment 37767 View attachment 37768 View attachment 37769

PS I did temp mount the xpipe and take a test ride and there is a big difference in power and torque which will really help on hills.
Interesting head swap, its a shame it didn't clear the piston.
Id go with thicker base and head gaskets made from dead soft annealed copper of the proper thickness.
These are easy to make from roofers copper flashing stock, just trace out a new gasket on the copper and break out the dremel tool.
I now use only copper head and base gaskets and still haven't blown one or had a leak yet.
FR

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
cool thanks for the responses.The good thing is the stud it self is only stripped at the top where the nuts go to hold the head on. I got the sbp stud kit the other day and will be putting it in soon. I am gonna try making a thicker base gasket but I really dont want to remove the jug cause I have 2 huskies and no matter what I do I know there hair will end up in the motor. I dont have a shop and its to dusty to try it outside.

I think I may just order the 70cc head that will clear and put the 50cc on my cruiser where I dnt have to worry about the compression ruining the shift kit trying to start my gt cause it is impossible to start the gt without rolling it backwards first till it moves and then kicking the crap out of the pedal.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I got the stud kit in from SBP and installed it. Put the original head but on for now till I get enough money to purchase the 70cc Puch Hi compression head so the pinston will clear. Even with the extra base gasket and head gasket It will have to much compression for the shift kit to handle on starts.

I did however get the xpipe mounted on permetly and am now gonna start tuning it. I had to add an extra 45 copper elbow so it is to long by a few inches to make a difference yet. It actually slowed the bike down by 2 mph cuse it too long about 17in total length from header to chamber. I will shorten to about 13in first if I can and retune the carb to see if that helps.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
Great build so far. Looks like tons of money into this project. I have a GT-LT1 with most original components I bought for 200$. I actually use it as a mountain bike and it does very well for an 11 year old bike. They are built tough! I just wish your was a different color, but so far so good! Keep us posted.

xct2

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I will be getting back on this build soon I have been working 12hr days 6 days a week for the last month and My day off I have needed it for chores and and other things life brings up. Your right there is a little bit of money into this bike. I dont like the color either but I want to finish the build first then take it apart and paint it. But for now I have no time. I did get the xpipe on and have a bigger puch head comming and the bike has been tuned and runs great just a little bit of 4stoke but i will get that fixed.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Thats ok Toxic, we are all familiar the "time but no money or money but no time" paradox.
Last winter I built so many customers bikes I didn't finish my own till late June.
I notice that your using the old style NS carb, you still use it? If so you might want to run a slightly leaner main jet, that should cure your minor 4 stroking problem.
I'm currently working on figuring out the CNS carb and trying to get it to run correctly.
As far as colors go... Black and red are always a winner.
That Gt's gonna be a sweetie.
FR

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Ok so there has been so much giong on in my life that I am I haven't been on the sit in a long time. I have riding my bike like 3 times in the last month. And when I did get time it was 110 degrees outside.
So Now it will be cooling off and I can really get back to the bike adn riding it to work again. Just need to finish fine tuning the motor and placing the silicone couplers on the xpipe to seal it up. I did notice that my motor leaks a little bit out of this tiny casting defect hole near then clutch on the block. Nothing I can do to seal it up except try some hi temp jb weld and hope it will hold. You wouldn't even know the whole was there if it didnt leak it is that small.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Alright so now I have had some time to ride again and will start riding it to work if I can get the chain to stop jumping off the chainring. Also foung the source of my air leak when I took off the intake to open it up and port match the gasket fell apart like dried dirt. Gonna put on the jaguar cdi and coil and then take pics. tune it all up and then ride to wrk again to save gas and money plus I enjoy riding to wrk better then driving I guess it help give me something to look forward to when I have to work. Sorry been so long but I will now be back in action.

JRock21584

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
You didn't by chance get this bike off eBay did ya? If so I was bidding on this bike as well lol..., I like what you've done with the build... I was goin to use that frame for my third build ;-)

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Actually I did the very first pics are from the original e-bay ad. Thank you it has een a slow but very fun build it rides so smooth on the dirt roads at 30 it feels like I am on the road still.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Did more work today on it. Got the maniac intake ready to go on I cut down the clutch cable thing for the carb to fit and re-did the mounting of my x-pipe but will probably change it cause I dont like the way it looks. Just got to cut a gasket out and put on the intake then its on to some custom chain tensioners to stop chain jump in the ruff stuff it dont jump off on the road.

Here are a few new pics not the best but dnt have much time it's 1am and it got to wrk at 930am for 12.5hrs then off on sat. The pics show the new xpipe and the mounting that will be changed to be more hidden and You can kinf of see the in take and then the fat off road front tire the rear is just as big. No traction problems on the bike trail yet just me getting used to going 15 to 20 on a trail only as wide as the bike.

2011-09-23004402.jpg 2011-09-23005538.jpg 2011-09-23005442.jpg 2011-09-23005423.jpg

dnut

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Got the intake mounted and siliconed and can't wait for it to dry so can test it tomarow. I will try to get some good pics tomarrow. I wish I got pics of my and it covered in mud after it rained.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Well the test went good now time to tune it and design a chain running system to prevent the chain hop in super ruff terrian.

Last edited: