new build old huffy mountain bike

GoldenMotor.com

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I know I could just get hole bottom end but I am a hands on type so wile I am waiting for parts I am going to port the cylinder and cases for what that is worth and replace the bearings with good ones and the seals.After that I know the cranks is my weakest link so I have a freind that rebuilds cranks and will give it to him to make a super good crank he knows all the tricks.

.shft.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I just found a new use for the rag joint plates .I put a top hat sproket addapter on a disk brake rim I got a wile ago.I had to modify the caliper a bit to fit inside the 2 but got it to work.Now my brakes work great so much better,I played with the timeing today and got some more power out of it,I have a 66 cc with a 40 tooth sprocket for the hills around here in NH.I think I am done on this bike for the year just going to drive it to work ,got 265 miles on it so far with little trouble mostly just tweeking the set up.I am going to do a 4 stoke next year on a different frame with a shift kit.
brnot

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That looks suweet!(^) I love seeing these pulled off. I read in another forum that builders liked to put the caliper mount on the top trailing arm? I don't think you did bad!

Last edited:

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
Very nice. I wish I could get my pics to upload to show you mine. I've a '95 Huffy Tundra that I bought new. Mine is a friction drive rear set up, with such minimal hardware that you'd think the engine is just sitting on top of the rear tire. I find my old Huffy to be a good choice to be motorized for even though it was a boat anchor of a mountain bike, that extra weight serves it well when it comes to being a stable platform.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
Well I got about 500 miles out of the 2 smoker and it broke a ring on the way home from work.This was my first MB and I had a learning curve and think I tweeked it out to much also had problems with the gen 2 carb that I finaly thew out and got a good carb.
.wee.
I am going to recycle this bike because I like the heavy frame and it handles good.I got a 5 hp honda OHC GC160 for it and made my own motor mount.I have a tork coverter belt drive for it and got it mounted today.I am looking for a charging coil for it ad have plans to complete the lighting system with blinkers/high low beem,stop and tail lights.

My only problem is the drive spocket comes out behind the clutch not on the back side of the clutch shaft so as to aline with the rear sprocket.I am looking into other builds here,scotto has a picture of his build with the clutch backing plate I think I need.

I am going to to add a hi flow air filter and I made my manifold for my straight pipe today.This bike is going to be heavy but I think the motor will make up for it.Will post more pictures soon

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
You should never use the words "Huffy" and "Mtn. Bike" in the same sentence. This is the very reason that the Huffy toss was invented. If you have never heard of the Huffy toss, it's a classic game played by "real" mtn. bikers in that who ever can toss the HEAVY Huffy the furthest wins a prize. It was quite a popular competition in the late 80's into the 90's.........true story!

dnut
Hey Scotto this is realy heavy now I dont think you could thow it very far.LOL Were did you get that backing plate for you clutch on you new build?Was that a hole kit or can you just get the plate?
dnut