Long Beach, CA Ride Sun April 3rd from El Dorado Park

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I was looking for a early ride so I could beat traffic back home, if this is not possible I may have to pass on this. Sorry Guys
Ya; that's a real bad time to be on the 405 on a friday!
Hey no worries, looking forward to meeting you guys on Sun April 3rd.

It is only a pre-ride to scope out catch up spots, a turn around area
where we can park a lot of bikes and a place to eat.

The Aleman and myself can only do it at about 3pm and Baird is very
close by our starting point.
The Aleman is going to have to ride over 50 miles tomorrow.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
did the pre-ride today with Jeff (culvercityclassic) and bimoped. aleman had a flat or something so he couldn't make it.

the ride today sucked because of the 20-30mph headwind the whole way there, Jeff's motor had stuff clanking around in it and didn't want to do more than 20mph, which didn't matter much since bimoped's barbie dream car toy motor...errr... i mean, his friction drive, wouldn't go much faster than that anyways.

the way home was much better. especially since fighting the wind and loping along ate up all my gas, so Jeff had to push me for a coupla miles till we found a station. then i had to use his high quality homelite oil in my bike and smoke and stink all the way back. (thanks Jeff:))

the way back was pretty cool, though. his bike seemed to run ok, so we did a relaxing 30mph all the way.

so, the tentative plan so far is this:

we can meet at El Dorado Park, coming in off Studebaker, just North of Willow, and South of Spring St.

there's a turn in at the Tennis Center, on Google Maps it looks like it's called E. Barrios St.

i think it's the only turn in between Spring and Willow. it'll take you passed the skatepark and near some baseball fields where there's free parking.

so we can meet up there, starting at 10am, hang around awhile, then take off riding at noon. this'll give people a chance to take some pictures, BS, and look over the bikes or whatever. or just show up at noon for the ride.

we'll go south on studebaker to a right on 2nd/Westminster which will take us to PCH.

then a left on PCH for a nice 15 or so mile cruise to Huntington Beach.

there's a Dog Beach as you enter HB with 2 parking lots. i figure we can pull into the second one and wait for any stragglers or break downs to catch up

this is also a good place to regroup for the ride through Huntington Beach, as traffic, meaning auto, pedestrian and bicycles can get pretty congested, especially if it's a nice day. we can take the lane as a large group and freak everyone out all the way to Baech Blvd.

we can pull into a beach parking lot there, and i'm pretty sure if we pedal in there'll be no hassles. we asked a parking lot guy on magnolia if he cared, and he said "they look like bicycles to me" so i don't think they'd try to make us pay. if they do, we'll just turn around and 2-smoke him out of his booth...:) and if they're cool about it, we might be able to do some drag racing in that nice long parking lot.:)

the route back is the same thing, only, y'know, backwards.

we can re-group at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve to have a smoke, whatever.

as far as food and beverages go, we checked out taco surf and it looks like a logistical problem. not enough bike parking (essentially none at all. there wasn't any room for the cars that were there.)

Super Mex is a good option, they've got great food, beer, and it's pretty cheap, as well as having a nice big lot. there's also a liquor store and a few other joints to eat if you're not down with super mex and you want a crappy 5 dollar foot long.

i'll leave it up to the group to decide if you want to eat on the way in or the way back.

it's about a 30 mile ride, and it's not set in stone. i think i'm gonna take a few trips around there and see if i can find some other diversions.

i'll get a ride map going as soon as i figure out how.

if anyone's got any other suggestions, ride-wise, drink-wise, or whatever, feel free to chime in.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
It's only 7 day's until the meet and ride on April Sunday 3rd.

Meet at 10am to 12 noon

Ride starts at 12 noon

The ride map starting from El Dorado park will be added soon.

Please wear a DOT looking helmet if you are going to ride.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. everyone's welcome.

i think it's gonna be in the 80's, too, so it's gonna be a crowded day at the beach!

make sure you guys have helmets, other than that, as long as we don't stray into Newport we should be fine. i've never had a HB or LB cop mess with me.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Can't promise any thing at this point but.....if I can get someone else from down here to split the gas to come up, I'd be happy to ride with you guys. If I can get Pat to come up, we'd prolly bring the tandem up, had a blast on it the last group ride down here. I'll see what I can do, the price of gas is starting to make trips like this questionable unfortunately. The Death Race follows shortly after LB and that's gonna cost me $200 in gas alone!

Hope to make it, I'll keep ya posted,

scotto-

dnut

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I'm looking forward to my first rally, It's going to be a wonderfull of day of sun and riding in So. CALIFORNIA. I'm looking forward to meeting all the other members who make it. and then off to the Death Race......... 'Baird, you ready'.........................

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey can Whizzers go on this ride? I missed the last El Dorado ride. Ray
Whizzers, Cushmans, home built contraptions, electric, perpetual motion....everyone who is into
motorized bikes are more than welcome.
Show up for the meet at 10 am even if you don't have a motorbike yet and we
will be back in the park later in the afternoon after the ride finishes.

scotto- I really hope you and some San Diego riders can make it.

Here's a pic from the pre-ride of Baird and culvercityclassic in the park where we will be meeting

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This topic always comes up on our rides at some point, so I'm gonna throw this in for all the new people...

MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE IS IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION & TEST RIDDEN FOR MANY MILES BEFORE YOU SHOW UP!!!

Nothing is worse than having your new bike break down on a 20 mile ride. :(

bizcotch

Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles
This topic always comes up on our rides at some point, so I'm gonna throw this in for all the new people...

MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE IS IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION & TEST RIDDEN FOR MANY MILES BEFORE YOU SHOW UP!!!

Nothing is worse than having your new bike break down on a 20 mile ride. :(
True, but a bike with too many "test ridden miles" tend to break down as well. You just never know... :-||

So, always come mentally prepared that your bike may break down. Personally I hate working on anything on the side of the road. I wish Shawn would still provide the chase vehicle :( . I guess it's also part of the fun to see if your MB will complete the ride.

Have FUN and enjoy.