Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe maybe

GoldenMotor.com

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Thinking about driving a few miles to take a look at this baby.
Anyone had any history with one of these. I'm sure someone has.

Image attached

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What year is it? What is it called? What size are the wheels? I'm familiar with 1960's Schwinn American Deluxe models which were middleweights, but with heavy, well made frames. Somehow that one looks different, so I'm wondering when it was made and if it has 2.125 wheels or the narrower ones. If it's Chicago made, it's a good bike and that one looks to be in very nice condition. If it was made after Chicago and is from overseas I would be cautious. Good looking bike.
SB

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Not sure what year. I'll be meeting with the seller tomorrow and get the history. I'm bringing a tape measure so I can get some frame specs. I lowballed him on what I would be willing to give for it and he seems interested in the offer. Just wants to get rid of it I suppose.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Know more about the bike now. It's actually a 1995 reproduction model (100 years of deluxe edition). From scanning the net I got it for a steal. The seller had bought it used a few years ago in New Jersey. I don't think it was built in the U.S., maybe Taiwan. It's still rugged though. The chrome is in fairly good condition. A little chrome polish will do the trick. We are going to completely break it down, sand blast and repaint bright glow green maybe. Just need to find some decals after the paint or have it professionally lettered. We've decided (me and son) this bike will be our keeper. Whole nine yards.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like these V8 gas tanks and have used them on a number of builds. Made from a juice can, copper pipe fittings, brass hose cap, harness leather and stainless steel straps. Makes a good tank. I, too, would leave that tank alone on your Deluxe. The bike looks great as it is.
SB

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was just gonna say "should check out SB's can tanks" Really would help the classic looks of that awesome bike.

Brings new meaning to "V8" lol

(Drink more juice. Some where there is a MBer in need of a gas tank)

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
I like these V8 gas tanks and have used them on a number of builds. Made from a juice can, copper pipe fittings, brass hose cap, harness leather and stainless steel straps. Makes a good tank. I, too, would leave that tank alone on your Deluxe. The bike looks great as it is.
SB
That's awesome! I'm definitely going to get back with you on this.
Thanks for the idea.

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
I have that bike with a chrome frame, not called a Schwinn, no name. It is very well made.
It is my showboat motor bike, but I like my '63 Typhoon rat for riding.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
I have that bike with a chrome frame, not called a Schwinn, no name. It is very well made.
It is my showboat motor bike, but I like my '63 Typhoon rat for riding.
I would be interested to see how you mounted your engine to this type of frame. I'm still in the "mulling it over stage" and am really looking for ideas.
It would be great if you could post a pic.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
That Schwinn repro. looks great but why ruin it with one of those Chinese tin can engines. Find an old H or J Whizzer engine on e-bay and build a real bike. A few bucks more but when your done you have something with a lot of re-sale value with a little easy maintenance, they run forever.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
That Schwinn repro. looks great but why ruin it with one of those Chinese tin can engines. Find an old H or J Whizzer engine on e-bay and build a real bike. A few bucks more but when your done you have something with a lot of re-sale value with a little easy maintenance, they run forever.
I know right? But the boy and I are still honing our mad skilz on the little 2 Strokes and we are having a ball. But I'm definitely keeping and eye out for something along those lines for a future build.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice find and good luck. Just a word of caution here: Keep a close watch on those fender mounts, especially the front one. There has been much discussion here regarding the hazards presented by fenders coming loose and wrapping around the front wheel.
Good luck on your build and keep us posted, please.
Tom

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
SOLO... On this one I drilled through the frame after locating the motor position by hanging it with the rear mount. A caliper brake shaft bolt the right length works super for this with it's beveled fixed washer that fits the round frame tube. And another beveled brake washer out front. I make a cross bar for motor mount studs with 1/8X3/4 bar stock drilling at the ends for motor studs & on center for the brake shaft bolt. If your making it up, get a locking nuts, it will take eight of them. At least lock washers & Sealtight from a hardware. If this is too much, Mounting kits are available. Go to all the houses you can find & try ebay store BOYGOFAST.
Front End...The front end is not made quite as well as the bike is. I made shim washers out of plastic coffee can lid to take away side to side slop. USE the Sealtight on all!
The big spring fell out at 20MPH, so now it has Sealtight plus a locking nut added!

Last edited: