'She's Alive'

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Just about finished my newest MB project. I've got most of the build in the Pre-Motorized Bicycle Info area under 'What do you think of this frame for MB'ing?'
I added a few more pics in the evolution of the bike. It is now set up w/the rear rack engine mount & had its official maiden voyage on it today.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
That is wild. I have a hard time ride-n my non-motorized bike with a 12 pack of beer in the front basket. That's a keg I see.

That is a nice build, let me know how it handles

ccc

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Front wheel drive MB? Very different, and imaginative. But that is one of the sillyist ideas I have ever seen. I am pretty sure it will handle like crap. Just my opinion. I hope it works great so you can say I'm silly for being doubtful. Good luck with her.

Freeatlast

Nov 17, 2010
Plano, Texas
[QUOTE 'What do you think of this frame for MB'ing?'-[/QUOTE]

Wow- I did that in 1975- yours looks alot better. I'm including a picture of mine- although now its in a scrapbook. Have fun- watch the turns....
Mine ran 55mph. My dad clocked me in the car!

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Front drive MB's handle great. I have 2 now & wouldn't have built the 2nd as front drive if I didn't prefer it.
In fact, I spend way more time riding pedal bikes & in the Time Trial aero position which puts alot more weight onto the front of a bike so maybe I am just used to it...
-lowracer-

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
the weight is balened above the tire prettyb well so i guess the handling is fine plus the regualar bike rung with out resitance i would hesitate to take that sucker in places i go

as for looks i prefer a inframe but its not to bad

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I took the front drive & changed it to a pusher trailer (sort of) then a rear rack mount in the span of 3 days (see all the pics on my 1st post). I am running for now as a rear rack mostly due to the exhaust fumes on my clothes upfront...I still like the handling of the front mount best...
-lowracer-

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really great photo Free@last! That must'a been great. (spell check wouldn't let "musta" pass but "must'a" is ok, lol)

Got me thinking Lowracer, Ridiculously big expansion chamber led to a soft pipe? Like heater or radiator hose? Bring the exhaust aft and behind

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Dan,
I like the idea of routing from exhaust down & maybe even down & back w/the front drive, but the expansion chamber wouldn't be necessary since its a 4 stroke. I gotta give the rear rack drive a chance before I alter it again. My other MB is a front drive & handles great (sounds like a bumper sticker...lol).
By chance does anyone know the flange dimensions of a std happytime type exhaust pipe?
-lowracer-

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am sure some one will know off the top of their heads (flange #s) but will go measure one in an hr or two. Soft pipes/hose does great at sound reduction! A small section restricted can give you a thump, thump sound. I have a muffler that is a plumber's rubber blow bag. Not near as cool sounding as I had hoped but does muffle well. (vid for illistration; RiverSide :: blowBag muffler video by dan3xd - Photobucket

I really like rack mounts. Noise, fumes and vibes are all behind ya. I said the same things most folks do b4 ridding one. center of gravity, storage/cargo and all that but really is a comfortable ride.

Not to ramble on your thread but have toyed with the thought of a front wheel drive using a in-frame pump and a small rack mounted tank for what ever fluid is used. Or pump rack mounted and tank forward. (Hmmm, should suggest that on the Rube Goldberg thread)

I am really impressed by the versatility you have engineered into your build. Purty cool!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will add that is QUITE the "evolution"! Front to rear to bizzaro trailer set up...I'll have two of what you're having next time.

I mean this a the most sincere compliment fo'sho', or should I say "absofrigginlootly awesome"!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Dan,
Thanks for the Flange distance figures. I got the wheels turning once again to either go back to Front drive & solving the exhaust in my clothes problem or I am thinking with this size engine, a single wheel trailer mount may be the best option to get both the center of gravity down low & the weight of the engine & vibration off the bike. I'm thinking of one of them Burley one sided axle mounts with the rubber coupling that allows flex up & down & right to left. Or perhaps a seatpost mount with similar articulation.
Any opinions on the best way to go from those in the know?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I couldn't leave it rear drive any longer & have it mounted back on the front wheel again.
Just waiting on the Happytime type muffler coming from King's Motor Bikes to route the fumes down to the left.
The rear mount worked well, but the weight distribution was all wrong for higher speed handling.
I've now tested Front vs Rear rack mount drive on 2 of my MB's & the winner is front drive.
The big engine out front may look out of sorts but it works really well.
I also just installed fat Kenda K838 slicks that look great.
I cant wait to test them.
-lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i do prefere a front wheel drive car so it makesd sense that a bike would run good that way too but i would rather have a all wheel drive truck so maybe to motors front and rear would be even better

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
New tires look great.

Thanks for reporting on front vs aft engine mounting. Now I gotta try it.

We need vids now!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I gotta try the cell phone camera one of these days.
I haven't hooked up the speedometer on this bike yet, but I know for sure it is way faster than my other MB that goes 37 mph.
I'm estimating the max speed at about 50 mph but will know for sure once it warms back up here in SC. Definitely too fast for a MB, but cruising speed at less than WOT is very easy on the engine & super quiet.
Anyone know where I can get a 50cc sticker & maybe a painted small front fairing to cover the engine?

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Attachments

Last edited: