Well..I got pulled over

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
A lot of people look at that and say "What a dumb cop." but most of the time police are told "when in doubt write the ticket and let the judge figure it out".

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rockenstein and I have been asked nicely to cut off our debate and it's over but as I was rambling around the Federal Government web sight I came up with this.

Motor Vehicle,
means a vehicle as herein defined, which is propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power.

That puts a damper on the rocket bike.

Midnight rider, wish you all the best. I'd sell the Mustang only if the gun they were
holding on me was loaded and I could see the rounds.
The cop said they had the word to bust motor bikes? That is what I was told.

Good thing you weren't in B.C. I.C.B.C. would have hung you out to dry, upside down.
Then they would have ironed your wallet flat.

Steve.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I just had cops kick in my door and raid my house over 8 people playing beer pong. Yeah and they harrassed all my guests being very rude to all who were there. All they found?? A little bag of weed, and yes I got a ticket for it. #1 they had no right to enter my home, this is america, #2 I'm getting a ticket for a law that was passed because of BS propoganda our government created. So all I can say right now is eff the po lice

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I feel for you bro,..

Ok... so how does the officer even know and have proof that the bike was in fact running or had fuel in the tank and I wasnt peddling it ... it was at night time and I was coming up to a stop sign when he jacked me up.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yes Ontario's HTA definition of a motor vehicle as well says pretty much the same Steve...

“motor vehicle” includes an automobile, a motorcycle, a motor-assisted bicycle unless otherwise indicated in this Act, and any other vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power, but does not include a street car or other motor vehicle running only upon rails, a power-assisted bicycle, a motorized snow vehicle, a traction engine, a farm tractor, a self-propelled implement of husbandry or a road-building machine; (“véhicule automobile”)

Ontario's Off Road Vehicles Act too defines an offroad vehicle in a similar way...

“off-road vehicle” means a vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power or wind and designed to travel,

(a) on not more than three wheels, or

(b) on more than three wheels and being of a prescribed class of vehicle; (“véhicule tout terrain”)

There are a couple key things tho that people in Ontario need to get their heads around with regards to a defending yourself if you are handed some tickets.

1) If the Ontario government says a bicycle no matter what's been added to it cannot be registered as a motor vehicle, or even an off-road vehicle, it is arguable that it would or should be considered one.

2) If you are pulled over and ticketed for an HTA or whatever offence the onus is on the police officer involved to prove the bicycle was being propelled or driven by something other than muscles at the time of the offence and he or she has to be able to articulate to the court how he or she knows for certain that at the time of the offence it was. I mean a modified bicycle still functions as a bicycle would in that it will coast down a grade, can be pedaled down the road, up a hill etc so just because a bicycle has a gas engine or electric motor attached it doesn't necessarily mean it was being used at that particular moment in time and if it wasn't then the motor vehicle definition does not apply.

Just like in the link I posted yesterday about the flintstone car creation...it may have looked like a motor vehicle, and the officer ticketed it as a motor vehicle, but when all was said and done the court decide it was not and dismissed the unsafe motor vehicle ticket that was issued.

Anyway I'll say as I've said before in other posts that there are no laws in Ontario that prohibit us from modifying or customizing a bicycle and no matter if we add ape hanger handle bars, a banana seat, a luggage rack or even a motor of some kind it does not change the fact that it really is still just a bicycle.

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Did he snag your bike or let you take it home?

Steve.
After he gave me my charges I walked to my bike and put my helmet on,... I walked back to his cruiser and said "Excuse me officer but when I leave here do I have to peddle "?

hE SAID "i AM GOING BACK THE OTHER WAY... ... so it dont matter to me but I will tell you that there is a spot check program on the corner of water st and DUNDAS ST ... have a good night ... be careful "

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Rider

In My 71 Yrs I Have Had Too Much Need For A Lawyer! I Have Never Regretted Paying Their Fee`s.

Sometimes`s They Get The Money, Instead Of The Court.

I Did Learn Enough In The Process To Handle Several Court Case`s My Self, With Good Results.

Ron

MY EX GIRL FRIEND TELLS EVERYONE THAT I AM CONNECTED!! LOL

Last edited:

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Play it cool. B)
Oh you know I'll have my shades on lol ... seriously though if they are coming to me for a tv interview I'm gonna be representing either way... gotta be the good guy which I am,... I'm not the ones that have no respect for the law, I stop for all stop signs and red lights with no cheating to get through them, I have a sweet headlight , wear a helmet and the ride is in top shape and i spent a bit of coin getting it like that and maintaining it.... I've put over 500 k in the past 2 months I've had the bike and replaced the front brake pads once...I'm hoping that some other riders will be here tomorrow with their bikes or without and leave their attitudes at the stripe

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Been a few news articles in south western Ontario on the topic, mostly a propaganda campaign by local law enforcement agencies tho as far as I'm concerned. I mean do you really think news reporters actually call up the local police and say "hey whats the deal with them bicycles with the motors?" ;)

Police to crack down on gas-powered bikes - The Sarnia Observer - Ontario, CA

Ontario cops crackdown on illegal bikes | Legal Post | Financial Post

Police targeting e-bike violators - St. Catharines Standard - Ontario, CA

Interesting that a local media outlet got your number seemingly out of thin air but hey your TV spot could be a positive for the community...do be careful not to hang yourself tho. Everything you say can and will be used against you if need be...lol

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If you google 'Chris Hill' you will see his story. He improved china girls that put better bearings ect in them.

Read his web site and you will see where this is all going.

My e bike wheel came with the stickers in both French and English to put on the bike to makes it legal. Wonder if people got them with thier kits and didn't realize how inportant it was to put them on.

I think the newspapers may watch the police blotter to see who got tickets for what and when a local guy got grabbed they knew about it. It's news today and tomorrow it's in the bottom of the canarys cage as an old saying goes.

Now to see if this ripples across the country.

At least so far the police haven't been as heavy handed as they could be.

Steve.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yes local newspaper not television sorry, so I guess it's a blitz on the go... first I've ever heard of such thing.
Midnight rider I don't know if blitz is the appropriate word but as more and more of us get into the hobby we can expect more and more attention to be paid to what it is we are doing. With that there will be a few of us that will get tagged with the unfortunate task of having to defend ourselves against those that say what we are doing is wrong. For most if not all of us we are doing nothing more that having some fun with our bicycles and enjoying life...we need a licence or permission from big brother to do that do we? Whatever...

So anyway on that note lately I've been thinking that after big brother gets done trying to beat us all back into the garage we crawled out of some of us are gonna be pretty sore from the fight and maybe looking for a new hobby and I have a great idea for one.

Customized Personal Mobility Devices

Yes sir you could customize one with a bigger basket, some white wall tires and maybe even some ape hanger handle bars. Plus you know you can get some really cool looking rain hoods and even windshields for them on eBay which would be really great for those rainy day rides. I'm sure too if you put some thought into it the wimpy electric power plants some come equipped with could be easily swapped out for a gasoline engine. Best part is we wouldn't have to worry about big brother bothering us Ontarian's for building such a thing because the Ontario Highway Traffic Act says the following...

“wheelchair” means a chair mounted on wheels driven by muscular or any other kind of power that is designed for and used by a person whose mobility is limited by one or more conditions or functional impairments. (“fauteuil roulant”)

The "or any other kind of power" part pretty much seals the deal for me but I find myself wondering if sore from being beat up by big brother would be considered a mobility limiting "condition" ??

The X-Treme XB-420M mobility scooter pictured in the attachment is my top pick as a customization canidate...standard equipment includes a reverse gear, drum brakes and wheelie bars which you'd likely need if you shoe horned in a well tuned 5hp Honda four stroke :D

Last edited: