Another new guy...

GoldenMotor.com

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
...looking for suggestions from those who've gone before. The search function has been helpful but I want to solicit suggestions directly too, since what was good last month may not be great today.

Hi everyone, I've been bitten by the motorized bike bug. I've got a couple weeks coming where my evenings will be free and I'd like to build up a cruiser style gas bike. I'm an engineer by trade, an airplane builder & mechanic by hobby, and I know just enough about bicycles to get myself into trouble. And of course, like everyone else, I'm trying to keep costs down overall without skimping on safety or reliability.

If you don't mind, I'd like some suggestions on a frame to start with - I'm tall, so at least a 26" frame is a given. I really like the looks of the Huffy Panama Jack and Kareoke projects on this site, but I'd like to stay away from coaster brakes or at least be sure that v-style or caliper brakes are an easy retrofit. Suggestions?

For motors, I'm leaning toward the 2010 Grubee 66cc kits but haven't placed the order yet. are there other/better options?

Thanks for humoring the new guy...
Rob

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I imagine comments will begin to really roll in here shortly, but as I was the first to fall in here I will give as much as I know.
I'm not too much of an expert either, but I can say this: if cost is a concern but time is not, surf craigslist and ebay. See if you can nab a vintage cruiser for near the cost of a new one. I have owned and ridden more than one. You'd be getting a better-than-average steel frame and sturdier components, compared to much of the big-box made-in-China tripe that we see all the time. I've been lucky with my Micargi Huntington, but I'm not waiting around. I'm transitioning to an old Higgins frame, prepping it slowly at present. The retail store bikes are MOSTLY equal. I tend to lean toward steel frames. If you want a really high quality aluminum frame that won't crack on you, that could run into some dough. I don't know enough to suggest brand names there.
I hear Grubee engines are good, for the two stroke line. I'm assuming you're looking at two-strokes from your earlier post. The key here is to buy it from a reputable company that will assist you when/if you are in need. To the left and right are companies that many people on this forum have had good experiences with. Pirate, Venice, SBP, Dax, and many other good ones, many of whom have members on the forum.
In short, you've demonstrated that you already know the best thing to do: consult a forum of experienced individuals who are ready, willing and able to give you whatever answers we can and guide you as best we can. Keep on asking questions until you're riding. Then before long you may find yourself answering a few here. :)

Last edited:

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
Thanks for the sage advice... Cool avatar, too!

I've been searching craigslist and garage sales for cruisers for a while now without any success. Seems that folks in this part of the wold are pretty proud of their vintage bikes... Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

I've got a two-week window where I'll have free evenings to work on this project. Not one to be overly patient, I came home from town today with a Huffy Nel Lusso. Now to order the engine kit and research handle brakes... You're correct - I'm looking for a 2-stroke.

I live too far out in the country for a motorized bike to be practical transportation, and I don't expect my bike to get used on a daily basis but I like to tinker and build. This project will be my stress-reliever when I'm burned out from working on my airplane or my truck.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thanks for the sage advice... Cool avatar, too!

I've been searching craigslist and garage sales for cruisers for a while now without any success. Seems that folks in this part of the wold are pretty proud of their vintage bikes... Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

I've got a two-week window where I'll have free evenings to work on this project. Not one to be overly patient, I came home from town today with a Huffy Nel Lusso. Now to order the engine kit and research handle brakes... You're correct - I'm looking for a 2-stroke.

I live too far out in the country for a motorized bike to be practical transportation, and I don't expect my bike to get used on a daily basis but I like to tinker and build. This project will be my stress-reliever when I'm burned out from working on my airplane or my truck.
You have an airplane? How far out in the country do you live?

As for finding vintage bikes: sometimes it's just unmitigated luck too. I got my old JC Higgins for free because the people running the garage sale couldn't sell it at all. I can't wait to see it finished. The only way I'm able to take it slow is by remembering that I want it done right.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
throw everything you know about being an engineer, airplane builder and mechanic out the window when you start building. these motors will contradict everything you've learned...:)

honestly, i know motorcycle mechanics who are stumped by these things...

that being said, the Grubee kits are all i've owned and built, and compared to other motors i've seen and worked on, they're the best. they're not without their own little problems, though, but with some patience, it's all easy to work out. everyone i've built has fired up the first time, and they're all still running great. but they've all required some extra care due to quality control, like cracked floats that need replacing, leaky petcocks, and other minor things (oh, and a busted carb mounting flange.) that's where the reputable dealers come in. everyone i've bought from has replaced the defective items, and sometimes sent extras, just in case...

as for the bike, you're gonna need to build your own motor mounts for a cruiser (at least the front one,) as the motors are designed for a "V"frame. personally, i hate every bike made after 1950, but if all you wanna do is putt around your property, it should be fine.

i remember an old BMX sticker that said "If Huffy made airplanes, would you fly in one?"

all the other problems you might encounter have probably already been answered, but feel free to ask again...

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
@ Allen_wrench - Yeah, I'm building a Pietenpol Air Camper. Goal for completion is Spring 2012, still lots left to do... I commute 26 miles each way, and 12 of those are on a 2-lane country road with no shoulder and a 55mph speed limit.

@ baridco - I'm hoping it's a big difference from what I'm used to. I love aviation but I'm a pilot, engineer, and mechaic. Sometimes you just need to do something different to re-focus... I'm hoping this bike will be a nice distraction.

I intend to build it pretty much from the box first, then fab/replace/upgrade as necssary to get to a robust configuration. Motor kit is ordered - 66cc 2010 Grubee kit from GasBikes.net. I've got all the parts I think I'll need to put side-pull brakes as well. Bike is ready to be torn down and prepped. Tuesday night the chaos will begin... I'm planning on starting a build thread if I can keep disciplined enough.:D

EDIT: Build thread started here: http://motorbicycling.com/f41/huffy-nel-lusso-1st-build-new-22372-2.html

Last edited: