29'' mongoose

GoldenMotor.com

Zelchco

May 28, 2009
Louisiana
I have built quite a few motor bikes in the past year, cruisers, stretches, chopers and 24" racers. now im wanting to build a off road moutain bike with disk brakes and a shifter kit to take on a few trails. This is the bike that i was eyeing up.. has anyone done a bike with 29" wheels?

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
I've never built one. I did give it thought tho. biggest thing I noticed was most of them have very little room between the rear tire and the seat tube. that one looks like it might have enough, quick measure says a sbp kit needs, a lil less than 2.5 inches.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I have a Specialized 29'er mountain bike that has a friction drive kit. I picked it because the bigger wheels go over bumps really nicely and also to be a little different:)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I would like too look at one and I'm guessing Wal-mrt dosn't sell bikes w/29" wheels?

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
^^I just slapped myself in the forehead.

STOP BUILDING BIKES UP ON WALLY WORLD RIGS! Stop it right this minute.

Back on topic- Build that 29'er, it should Riiip! Run an 8 speed MTB cassette out back and the smaller final drive for the SBP kit up front for best hill climbing capability and you should have great drivetrain durability and still be around 35-40 for a top speed. The 29" wheels will actually give you a little more top end if the bike can get on top of the powerband in top gear. I just posted an update about expansion chamber pipes in the SCSW thread in Swap and Shop. The short version- get a pipe. Doesen't really matter which one, if you want top performance out of your motor you need a pipe to get there..

Good luck Brother

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
29 inchers are not super common yet, so wheel and tire options will be limited/expensive.
Just one of the cost of ownership things I would consider when making a purchase or eyeing a new "build".

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Dudes, with respect, that issue is no longer what it once was regarding tires and wheels and options for 29'ers. Those things have been increasing in availability and variety for several seasons now. I would be stunned and disappointed in your local shop if they didn't have a plethora of options for a 29'er build.

Tires:

WTB

Maxxis

Kenda

Tioga

Schwalbe

Continental

Bontrager

(Many others)

Wheels:

Velocity

Surly

Sun Ringle

Mavic

Bontrager

Alex

(again, many others these are just off the top of my head)

Go forth with confidence!

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I am not saying that they are not available, just not really mainstream yet. Sure hard core mountain bikers are all over it, but Joe Schmo not so much. That being said, I like the idea of 29er, I bet they ride nice.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
29 inchers are not super common yet, so wheel and tire options will be limited/expensive.
This is one of the problems with a marketing designation like "29 inch". It was already a wheel size; it already has a name: 700c (which has been the customary road bike size for a long time). A "twenty-niner" is just a bike that uses 700c wheels with fat tires of 50mm or more.

The implication is that you can get 29 inch equipment at any bike shop. The only place 29" tires haven't yet arrived is Wal-mart et al, and that's really not a good place to look for bikes or bike parts.

Chalo

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Very true, but 700c road bike tire is quite different than a 29 mt bike tire. However Walmart is not a bad place to look for tires, I would not be looking for rims nor wheel sets, but tires make sense, though I tend to by my tires at a bike shop because weighing 320 finding I need a high pressure not found at wally world

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My next goal is "Project 29", built from scratch with a quality frame, GP460 engine, shift kit and NuVinci hub. Disc brakes, quality rims, 12-gauge spokes and Schwalbe Big Apple smooth-tread tires.

I'm tired of riding the worst paved roads in the United States. The 29" tires should smooth out the ride!xct2

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
i ride mine back and forth to work everyday but not with a motor! i have a beach cruizer with a star fire grebee, and a 28tooth on it! it rides prefect! i have basic no hills, just little ones anyone trying to put a motor on it , have fun i think its a good bike has't broken down at all. so go for it! but remember its a walmart bike,too

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My next goal is "Project 29", built from scratch with a quality frame, GP460 engine, shift kit and NuVinci hub. Disc brakes, quality rims, 12-gauge spokes and Schwalbe Big Apple smooth-tread tires.

I'm tired of riding the worst paved roads in the United States. The 29" tires should smooth out the ride!xct2
Project 29er has begun: 18" Kona steel frame, Rockshox fork, 460 or Tanaka 47r engine, NV hub. Still collecting more pieces. scratg

Estimated time of completion: January 1, 2011.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I was thinking about doing a FS bike. Project 29er is a step in that direction.

Maybe the next one will be a dual-suspended 29" motorized bike, with shift kit of course.

Once you shift gears, it's difficult to consider any other drive.

Similar to one-speed mopeds and scooters versus motorcycles.xct2