Finished My First Build: Schwinn Searcher w/ SBP Shifter Kit

GoldenMotor.com

rreyesjr15

May 11, 2010
Edinburg, Tx
Hey guys...

Finally, after five long and hard days of working on this build...

I FINISHED!!!!! :)

I could have not done it without you guys, especially the ones that gave me advice on the problems I posted on my other threads...THANK YOU!

After putting it together, taking it apart, putting in back together, taking it apart, and finally putting it together...

here it is...
My First Motorized Bicycle Build

Finished Build

Grubee 66/80cc Slant Head Engine & SBP Shifter Kit
More Pics

Schwinn M Searcher - $160
Grubee 66/80cc Slant head - $175 w/shipping
SBP Standard Shift Kit - $170 w/ shipping
Hours spent working on it - PRICELESS

TOTAL - $505 plus priceless Labor

Let me know what you guys think...constructive criticism & advice is always appreciated.

scooter_hobo

May 12, 2010
Nashville, TN
Looks TUFF!
I want the same engine set up

How difficult is it to install the SBP Shift Kit the first time?

What would you give a heads up on for any problems to expect with the same set up?

Archduke Chocula

Apr 23, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Looks like you will be having a lot of fun! I'm currently on my second day building, should hopefully finish the third day though. I have to cut and bend some metal first. How the **** do some of these guys do it in two hours?! Haha, practice practice practice I guess.

rreyesjr15

May 11, 2010
Edinburg, Tx
How difficult is it to install the SBP Shift Kit the first time?

-it is not difficult to install...all it takes is patience and the right tools. Make sure you go to downloads and look at their jackshaft manual, bottom bracket description, and freewheel maintenance.

Also...if you buy a bike with a cartridge bottom bracket-the Searcher-make sure you buy the cartridge removal tool on sbp website...without it you're gonna waste alot of time. Also...get a crank removal tool, a chain breaker, and some freewheel oil.

What would you give a heads up on for any problems to expect with the same set up?

1. You're gonna need a grinder/file and drill for the shift kit.
2. you're gonna need to make a custom front bracket. I used two 2'' muffler clamps to intsall the engine. But i would suggest you get the custom clamp from sbp. PM if you need help with that.
3.You are gonna need alot of patience if its your first time like mine was. After you finish the first build, you learn alot and i am sure if I were to do it again...which I will lol...it will be 100 times easier.

Good luck with your build, and if you need more info just post or pm.

I will be posting a vid soon.

scooter_hobo

May 12, 2010
Nashville, TN
I appreciate all the advice, Very Cool!
Thanks RReyesjr15

I'm still in the planning and gathering stages. Hopefully I'm sorting out most of the rough spots in beforehand.

rreyesjr15

May 11, 2010
Edinburg, Tx
Thanks Chainmaker!!

I was looking around the forum for muffler ideas, and i came across a program called Javapipe. Does anyone have any clue on how to use it? Maybe some tips to get the proper measurements.

Thanks,
Roel

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Thanks Chainmaker!!

I was looking around the forum for muffler ideas, and i came across a program called Javapipe. Does anyone have any clue on how to use it? Maybe some tips to get the proper measurements.

Thanks,
Roel
Javapipe is for model airplane pipes. Keep Googling and look for Alexander G. Bells treatise on 2 stroke performance. BikeGuy Joes signature has a link to it, as i recall. Very good info on expansion chamber design there. Good Luck!

Doh! I knew it was one of those guys. I was "Barely Awake" at the time!

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"If it ain't broke, and you mess with it long enough, it will be." - Bikeguy Joe

Sage advice, but perhaps not what you were lookin' fer ;)

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Nice bike, however, I would reroute the wires, they seem to be a little close to the exhaust. looks like shes fun to ride. Good job!