Balancing Wheels....

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
WOW, I just balanced my front wheel by using some solder around the spokes....I came back fromt a test ride and it was a very noticable difference in ride- ability...It got rid of all that front wheel ossilation that happens after 25 30 mph....Now the back wheel is another story....Gonna take a little more time on that one....I just twisted different lengths around the spokes....

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
yeah wheels def matter... i just put a new wheel tire tube on the back and a new tire and tube on the front. knobbys def suck... its night and day

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Much has been written about balancing; the pros and cons. I balance but always before using a sealer such as 'Slime'. It's a good product and I rely on it for thorn protection but it will have a huge impact on trying to balance a bicycle wheel because it moves around inside the tire/tube. I use solder wrapped around the spokes. It seems to work well. Your bearings must be good and well lubricated and as you've discovered, the front is always easier than the rear. Remove both chains, the engine drive and pedal chain and allow the rear weel to rotate freely before attempting to balance it.

Tom

gavmiester

Jan 9, 2009
stokers siding Australia NSW
I put 2 tubes in the back wheel drilled a hole in the rim opposite the original one, put 40psi in each,tested the balance it was spot on,does feel smoother.had a front wheel blow it had the slime in it the tube just tore open!green gunk went every where,probably convert front to twin tubes also,no sudden surprises.