"Survival Bike" Maiden Voyage

GoldenMotor.com

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
YouTube - My motorized bike "Survival Bike"

Maiden voyage on my "Survival Bike" themed Motorized Bicycle. Note: The engine has not been tuned yet. The video was taken less then 5 minutes after the first firing. I'm confident that with some tweaking I can get it dialed in better. Also, I need to adjust the limits on my derailleur, as it wants to pop out of low gear (you can hear the engine popping as the derailleur slips)

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
are you talking about the front or back derailure .

only chain problems i have ever had , were always on the front ( pedals ) and always going up from the small sprocket , then the chain gets stuck between the 2 sprockets .

man its just like those new razors with 5 blades ( what was wrong with the good old 5 speeds )

18 speed bike and i only ever use 3rd

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
I removed the front derailleur since i installed the shift kit. No the low limiter on the rear derailleur is not set right, and it keeps wanting to skip out of first.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Are you letting back on the throtle when shifting?Or is that the slipping at the engine jumping?

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
The slipping seems to be related to the limit on the derailleur. If I go on pedal power I get a similar slip in low gear. pedal pedal, slip, pedal pedal slip, etc.

I was feeling quite bad yesterday and it was too dang cold to really do much more then fire it up, put up and down the block a couple of times and then shut 'er off and go back inside. I know I've got some tweaking to do.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Frm one survival bike guy to another - I'm diggin' it!

Gotta love the "go anywhere & don't care" of a motorized mountain bike w/a shiftkit FTW (^)

You stole my front fender tho o.o

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It looks and sounds good! The chain jumping does get annoying after a while though. I hope that the derailleur is not too rusty for the screw to turn.
All in all, well done!

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Thanks, guys, for all the kind words. I'm very happy with it so far. Between this nasty cold and my work schedule, it might be a week or so before I can really start the serious tweaking but I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Looks good! I also saw the Youtube clip of a shifter two stroke doing 50mph. Man, that's too fast for me on a bicycle, no guts or glory here. I've had to make panic stops with my Silverwing scooter and my Goldwing. I'd sure hate to get caught short and have to make a panic stop from 50mph on a bike with it's little brakes. Enjoy your nifty new ride but watch out for cages they're all out there to kill us.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Listening to some of those shifter rigs on Youtube is pretty cool. It sounds just like a motorcycle when it shifts. I might have to think about a shift kit so I could ride my bike on rough ground and still have enough speed for the street.

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Thanks guys.

I started tweaking, I got the carb tuned better and redesigned the lower motor mount. I still haven't adjusted the derailleur or wired my lights.

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Hey guys! Still around, just not much to report lately.

I have a little confession to make - I never could get the dang thing to shift right. Shortly after my last post in this thread, I ended up spinning the tire on the rim and ruining the tube. Between that and the shifting I gave up, threw it in the garage and its been sitting ever since.

I think I'm going to pull it back out here in a bit, make it my new winter project. I never could figure out exactly why it was slipping, however. I think for that particular repair, I may just break down and take it to a bike shop...

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
50 mph is damn fast. There will always be speed demons but at this stage of the game, I find 15 to 20 mph to be fine. My 25 cc Huffy will hit 25 mph+ but I find that to be the sensible limit of that machine, & even then, that's plenty fast to get hurt if not killed.