new schwinns are not what they once were

GoldenMotor.com

christopher fowler

Dec 17, 2009
p a washington
I here a lot of talk of building mbs from so called new schwinns! Old made in chicago schwinns are a totaly different animal.these bikes they sell today share a name a name that was sold out y ears ago! take some time and locate a vintage schwinn its worth the search!

Attachments

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I here a lot of talk of building mbs from so called new schwinns! Old made in chicago schwinns are a totaly different animal.these bikes they sell today share a name a name that was sold out years ago! take some time and locate a vintage schwinn its worth the search!

Whereas I completely agree with you in regard to "vintage" Schwinns.....I happen to own a 2009 model Schwinn Skyliner....( I've enclosed a snap of it ).....to date I've only encountered very minor issues with it ....I've almost 2000 miles on it with the ORIGINAL tires .....sure they need replacing but that's neither here nor there....my bike is a tank....I've been hit THREE times on it ....still rides true and straight.....I'd take more care of what I utter in regards to the "new" Schwinns....also.....I had to tilt my head to view the snap you included of the bike.....I can't even tell what it is ......

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Here is my latest Schwinn. I started with an early 90's Schwinn High Plains frame I picked up free. It was during a period when they built their higher end Mt. bikes with full chromoly frames. I added some really high dollar parts I was able to pick up really cheap from a local bike shop factory rep. that was cleaning out his garage full of new old stock parts. Added a new Rock Shox Dart II fork, and a really comfortable coil/web spring seat.
Now I just have to wait for some of this snow to melt so I can take it for its first cruise.

John

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
new schwinns, new converse, new world order...

i somewhat agree, but i never really liked the old schwinns, either. but i do like the old wheels some of them came with, with the .105 spokes.

but i wouldn't make a blanket statement saying how much they 5uck (not on this forum, anyway;))

my opinion on Huffy's is basically the same. they just don't make them like they used to.

for example:

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
new schwinns, new converse, new world order...

i somewhat agree, but i never really liked the old schwinns, either. but i do like the old wheels some of them came with, with the .105 spokes.

but i wouldn't make a blanket statement saying how much they 5uck (not on this forum, anyway;))

my opinion on Huffy's is basically the same. they just don't make them like they used to.

for example:

Now if only you are able to incorporate that * built in * gas tank you'll have yourself a winner......bicycles are basically *badge engineered *....all it takes is to find one that you think is buildable......I still stand by my *new* Schwinn.........

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The new Schwinn's (I think) are better bikes than 'most' of the other china bikes that are out there right now; & as far as classic bikes go, there were many cheap bikes, & there were many quality bikes! But Schwinn was the largest quality company, & old Schwinn's have emerged today as the 'Harley Davidson' of old bicycles. They are the most popular, the most plentiful & they are worth more that most of the other oldies!! ;)

*edit* Felt bicycles are my favorite modern production cruisers!!

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... It's my understanding there's more than one "level" of "new" Schwinn - there's the relatively high-end Schwinns available at bike shops, then there's the el'cheapo Schwinns offered at places like Walmart.

I have one of the "el'cheapo" Walmart Schwinns and I gotta say that while the frame is awesome and solidly built - the hardware bolted to it is... well pretty crappy. Not to say it's junk ofc, but it's defo the low end of Shimano if ya know what I mean. The Suntour suspension fork is just enough to take some of the oomph out of road use but is hardly what I would call a mountain bike fork, and the alloy rims are a joke... a bad, squishy, dangerous joke.

Yet I'm not complaining or puttin' down Schwinn - for $200 it's a damn fine bike and I expected no more than exactly what I got. I don't think it's the brands so much as the price range - to get any higher quality than that you'd hafta spend quite a bit more or buy used *shrug* Or simply upgrade the stock components, which may be the most cost-effective method and a quite likely result of motorizing anyway lol

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hmm... It's my understanding there's more than one "level" of "new" Schwinn - there's the relatively high-end Schwinns available at bike shops, then there's the el'cheapo Schwinns offered at places like Walmart.

I have one of the "el'cheapo" Walmart Schwinns and I gotta say that while the frame is awesome and solidly built - the hardware bolted to it is... well pretty crappy. Not to say it's junk ofc, but it's defo the low end of Shimano if ya know what I mean. The Suntour suspension fork is just enough to take some of the oomph out of road use but is hardly what I would call a mountain bike fork, and the alloy rims are a joke... a bad, squishy, dangerous joke.

Yet I'm not complaining or puttin' down Schwinn - for $200 it's a damn fine bike and I expected no more than exactly what I got. I don't think it's the brands so much as the price range - to get any higher quality than that you'd hafta spend quite a bit more or buy used *shrug* Or simply upgrade the stock components, which may be the most cost-effective method and a quite likely result of motorizing anyway lol

From what you describe is basically the EXACT type of bike I bought at Walmart also.....$160 and the frame is a tank ( Skyliner/Link ).....I ended up removing the derailers front and rear.....crap Shimano too....converted it to a single speed .....but the frame itself is a TANK....I've been hit three times....not a dent.....you get what you pay for with a Schwinn.....

Salty.shft.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
ill put my opinion in too i love them all i have a cheapo and a 47 speedster the cheapo has a strong welded frame my 47 chitown speedster has frame flex but i wouldnt get rid of it for anything its ergonomics are different the ride is different but this old brass braze frame makes me think around 40 mph 32t sprocket ported grubee gt5 i definately feel more confident on the cheapo but like someone stated before the parts on the newer one aside of the frame are useable but do lack quality just an opinion i ride both

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
I have a new Schwinn Legacy and and am pleased with it . I put a Grubee Gen.II engine in it with mounts from Jim from Creative Eng. I also used his sprocket and adpator worked great. The bike is for sale in sale section.

Attachments