I built another...

GoldenMotor.com

KULUKIN

May 2, 2009
Burbank, CA
This time I found what looked like an old Schwinn, ??? it was painted over with a tan housepaint, brown trim, red stripes. subtle but doable, **** it only cost $50. wheels and all. So I took the parts and Motor from "Ol' Dependable" and started transferring to the new frame, but shizit, the DOWN TUBE is too curvy as we all know(now).
Lucky I know how to weld a plate to a tube to the frame, and fix that easy. (and mind you this is b4 I found these forums)
So I'm riding to work and the engine feels really rough! B4 I know it the engine slaps my leg and I skid uncontrollably to a stop. The screws on my mounting plate to engine are gone! Lucky I'm on a bus route.

Now, I'm thinking do I really like these things or r they 2 much trouble for cheap transportation?
:-||
Should I abandon all hope of enjoying a reliable long haul Motor Bike? and forget riding down to S America?

zpt.

Attachments

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There's no reason your bike cant be reliable... just take your time and build it carefully, & everytime something goes wrong with it, fix the problem the right way & not a quick easy fix!! Pretty soon, the problems will be gone!!

KULUKIN

May 2, 2009
Burbank, CA
I guess my questions are,
How reliable can I make one of these?
Can I get one to last 5,000mi?
What parts would be recommended for reliability?

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I think the problem is not the motor but the mounts. I have had similar problems with mine. What I wound up doing was replacing the motor studs with longer ones and double nutting them so they wont rattle loose. My problem was the mount broke and the chain jumped the rear cog and got jammed in the spokes. No fun having to carry the bike home(lucky for me it was only four blocks from home)

I have had to do the same for the carb and the exhaust bracket also. These engines seem to develop a harmonic resonance at certain rpm and seem to shake themselves to bits if you let them. I have seen threads on balancing, but I haven't tried it yet.:-||

Mike Frye -the bike guy