Is a License required in Florida

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
From what i've found out T O D A Y, gas powered bikes in Florida
a. CAN be REGISTERED.
Places it in the MOPED category, and all rules to be applied as such.
b. LICENSE IS REQUIRED.

For me, I have a:
a. valid FL DL with a Motorcycle Endorsement
b. (lets just say) Tag and Registration.

So until im told otherwise, i'm all good.
Florida MBers, Its All Good!
:)

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
""let's just say""????

You can't.

Show us HOW you did it.
Don't just say it "can" be done.
It's all in the "how"

and don't point us to "moped" makers because it's not about mopeds, it's about gas powered bicycles.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
A gas powered bicycle, can not be Registered or Titled in the State of Florida.
If you go to the DMV, they will not allow you to register it, since you need a VIN. (Bicycles do not have VINs, They have serial numbers)
Technically speaking, If you add a GAS engine on a bicycle, you turn it into a MOPED (49cc or less) or a Motorcycle (50cc+)
Since it does not have a VIN (add to that, you dont have the safety equipment required), you can’t register either at the HSMV, and therefore since you can not ride a “MOTOR” vehicle(in terms of licensing for driver's of "mopeds") on a the roads in Florida without it being registered, titled, etc, it’s technically not allowed to be ridden on the road.
Since, you can’t ride it on the road, and you can’t ride a vehicle under motor power on the sidewalk either, you can’t use it anywhere.
Even with my Electric Bicycle, i’m not allowed to ride it on the sidewalk, UNLES I’m pedalling.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I didi'nt mean to sound as if im bragging, so i added in "lets just say".

As you mentioned, if you add a gas engine on a bicycle, (<50cc) you turn it into a moped. ---> I'm just reading it as you did in the Florida Statutes.

How to do it - I personally did a buuuuuucnh of research. Thank you to Kawasaki999 & Coconut (in fl) if you guys are still in this forum.

Here it is in a nutshell:
a. email to head of tag office and review your situation.
b. ask about requirements
c. fulfill the requirements and go to tax office and handle registration with the head of tags.

plain, simple, and in black and white.

It wouldn't hurt to get email clarification from you local sheriffs office - head of traffic.
They should review the basics -
a. follow the rules of the road, no riding on bike paths while engine is in use or sidewalks.
b. safety - helmet, headlight, taillight at a minimum.

I guess I got lucky.

Have a good weekend SANGESF. :)

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
In a word... You cheated... You used the serial number as (or made up) a VIN.
Requirements = Headlight, Taillight, Directionals,etc...
Would love to know where you found DOT approved tires for a bicycle.
Can you take a picture of your bike along with the registration.
Just so we all can see it.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Sangesf,

With all due respect and courtesy, you better watch your words.

sangesf quote ....."you cheated".....

Never in a million years did I cheat.

Not sure about the dot tire comment. I dont know.

I can take a picture of my bike and reg.

Again with all due respect, what for? I do not have ANYTHING to prove to you.

Its been done, I KNOW its been done. Maybe if there is ever a news story about me and the gas bike, ill post the article link. Fair enough?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Easy ladies....
LOL....

I wanted to see his proof, is all....

A pic of the bike and the registration is more than proof enough.

I want to see what he used as the VIN on his bicycle for the registration.

There is NO way, they will let you register a bicycle as a moped, unless you have a VIN.
And if he has a VIN, that must mean, it's not a regular bicycle...
Maybe it's an old Moped frame that he used.... Moped frame has DOT approved Tires (hence the comment)

I'm not asking for myself... I just dont want people going around saying, just add a gas engine to a bicycle and you'll be fine....
Because that just ain't the truth. (nor legal)

There has been a rash of people going around giving out bad information about Gas Bikes in Florida.

The most recent is about a guy who bought a "gas bike" from a manufacturer... He just didn't mention it was a MOPED Manufacturer... heh

Get it straight, you can NOT just register a "gas bike" as a moped UNLESS it IS a moped.
There is NO way to register a motor vehicle in the system without a VIN.
(I've looked at the FLDMV screen myself)
In terms of registration a gas bike is NOT a moped.
Moped = VIN (a.k.a. Safety equipment and DOT approved items)
Bicycle = NO VIN (adding a gas engine to a bicycle, does not automatically make it have a VIN, it is STILL a BICYCLE)

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
A. The definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes motorized bicycles. Bicycles are not registered or titled. Engine kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of kits available, however, they remain bicycles after the engine kit is installed. There are other requirements that must be met to be classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame assembly and safety features. If a customer brings in paperwork for a bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or registration nor is it required. The agent should also direct the customer to law enforcement if there are any questions as to where the motorized bicycle can be used.

After reading and participating in this thread, my understanding is as follows;IF this statute is adopted, THEN you must abide by all rules pertaining to bicycles on public roads in the State of Florida.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
A. The definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes motorized bicycles. Bicycles are not registered or titled. Engine kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of kits available, however, they remain bicycles after the engine kit is installed. There are other requirements that must be met to be classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame assembly and safety features. If a customer brings in paperwork for a bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or registration nor is it required. The agent should also direct the customer to law enforcement if there are any questions as to where the motorized bicycle can be used.

After reading and participating in this thread, my understanding is as follows;IF this statute is adopted, THEN you must abide by all rules pertaining to bicycles on public roads in the State of Florida.

Motorized = Electric

it was my point that the info given was vague at best.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
My last was an excerpt from THIS scenario that YOU posted

3. Scenario: A company is advertising on TV a gas engine kit that can be added to a bicycle. The engine is tied into the pedal system like a Moped and it has to be pedaled to start the engine. It is advertised that the bicycle will be propelled to 30MPH.

Q. How is the tax collector supposed to register this bicycle/gas engine assembly?

A. The definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes motorized bicycles. Bicycles are not registered or titled. Engine kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of kits available, however, they remain bicycles after the engine kit is installed. There are other requirements that must be met to be classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame assembly and safety features. If a customer brings in paperwork for a bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or registration nor is it required. (if you ask) The agent should also direct the customer to law enforcement if there are any questions as to where the motorized bicycle can be used.

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Thank you for reposting what I've already shown as the confusion created by the legislature...

As you've highlighted, you can not title or register a bicycle.
Given the question about gas bikes, they've answered it with an answer about electric bikes, which therein creates the confusion.

To further create even more confusion, there is a licensing tax on motorized (electric) bikes, where there is no where to register them.

Again that shows that in order to register a "gas bike" (moped) you need a VIN. Since no bicycle has a VIN no register capable, hence no can use on road.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Catch 22? Or confusion among the lawmakers.....you decide.

I decided to ride anyway here in Ohio where the laws are almost as convoluted.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
It seems so "black and white", but yet it seems so confusing.

So what happened to Kawasveaki999 and Coconut in FL?

They were the 2 mb'ers that i know of from the forums that got their tag, all with the goal (i believe) to NOT get hasseled by law enforcement.

Dont know. I think im gonna ride by Huffy Cranebrook with 2 FOOTPOWER.
---> For Now :)

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
It seems so "black and white", but yet it seems so confusing.

So what happened to Kawasveaki999 and Coconut in FL?

They were the 2 mb'ers that i know of from the forums that got their tag, all with the goal (i believe) to NOT get hasseled by law enforcement.

Dont know. I think im gonna ride by Huffy Cranebrook with 2 FOOTPOWER.
---> For Now :)

They were the ones that got "lucky" before Tallahassee put out the note to the DMV's NOT to register bikes with gas motors on them.... UNLESS they are mopeds with a VIN.

I would say as long as you have your DL, then I wouldn't be worried about it.

IF you're trying to get away with riding a gas bike without a DL, then you're outta luck.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
The only person Ive heard of having problems with the police in FL, is SANGESF,I have been riding mine for 2 years,75 miles a week,at least, without one single problem,or a DL.IMO,as long as you dont live around SANGESF,you will probably be ok.I have asked many police officers about it and they all said I could ride,if they say ok then Im riding.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I'm not even CLOSE to being the only person that's had "problems.."
First off, I've had no "problems", per se, because I'm on electric.

Now there at least two other people (that have posted on here) that HAVE had problems.
THEY were the unlucky ones to have gotten into trouble with the law on their gas bikes. (and no, they don't live anywhere near me).
They don't post on here anymore, because they don't ride "motoredbikes" any more, BECAUSE they didn't have a license and DID finally get into trouble.

I'm sure you you drive a car for decades without a license and not get caught, but that doesn't make it "ok", nor legal.

I bet, if you went to those same officers and showed them the DL section of the Florida statutes that state the fact that you need a DL to ride a "moped" and then showed them the statute that describes a moped, and then said to them, "Well since YOU guys say it's ok for me not to need a DL to ride my gas powered bicycle, then I guess I'm good!".. Watch how fast you get into trouble.

So you have it...

Although a moped is not a motor vehicle in traffic law, for the purpose of *Chapter 322 – Driver’s Licenses, a moped is a motor vehicle, and a driver’s license is required.
FS 322.01 *Definitions – As used in this chapter:

(27) “Motor vehicle” means any self-propelled vehicle *…. excluding vehicles moved solely by human power, motorized wheelchairs, and motorized bicycles as defined in s. 316.003

FS 322.03 – Drivers Must be Licensed; Penalties

(1)* Except as otherwise authorized in this chapter, a person may not drive any motor vehicle ….* unless such person has a valid driver’s license* ….

Motorized bicycles are those defined in FS 316.003, and are not motor vehicles requiring an operator to have a driver’s license.
P.S. Motorizedbicycle fs315.003 = electric

Last edited:

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
For the record,I dont own a car,and have not driven one since 2001.If the police told me I could not ride my MB,I wouldnt.I dont doubt what you say,as far as the law goes,but until Im told otherwise by my local PD I will continue to ride and be the menace to society that I am.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
dvddtz -

menace? naaaah, not u. :)

It seems your locality allows it. Did you get any clarification from your local sherriffs office?

I did speak to my local Sheriffs Office, and I didnt get a totally clear answer. I was discouraged from doing so, but on pressing the subject, he reluctantly said I could register, and all moped rules/safety eq. must befollowed.

For me, I do have a FL DL (as well as a MC endorsement).

My purpose of getting a tag was to make my MB on roadways legit, and NOT be hassled by Law Enforcement.

Still a cloudy issue.