Reducing exhaust noise

GoldenMotor.com

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Is there any way of reducing the exhaust noise of a new Robin 35? It's acceptable, but I don't want to attract attention.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
If you ever find a way I'd like to know too. I'm going to go deaf from this engine. I don't know how anybody could call this quiet but everyone does. I was expecting it to ba A LOT quieter.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Do you have pics of yer setup? is it mid or rack mounted? There's a plethora of muffler cans available for the lil 4 strokes at most big hardware stores and/or repair shops, while the mount may need to be modified there's potential there.

One of the things that helps with noise is simply exhaust system length, if yer mid-mounted making a header pipe has potential...

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I use my Robin Subaru 35cc mainly for down town use. I ended
up adjusting the idle as low as it would go without dieing. I only go
10mph to 15 mph and it is really a quiet engine at the low speeds.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I dont know about mabs but when the landscaping crew comes thru my hood nobody sleeps. Those weed whackers and blowers you can hear from 2 blocks away and its annoying as heck. Its a necessary thing though just one of lifes quirks.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I use my Robin Subaru 35cc mainly for down town use. I ended
up adjusting the idle as low as it would go without dieing. I only go
10mph to 15 mph and it is really a quiet engine at the low speeds.
That must be on level ground. I don't have much of that around here and up hills it's way too noisy. During the day it's alright but I ride at night too and up hills at night it could wake the dead.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Do you have pics of yer setup? is it mid or rack mounted? There's a plethora of muffler cans available for the lil 4 strokes at most big hardware stores and/or repair shops, while the mount may need to be modified there's potential there.

One of the things that helps with noise is simply exhaust system length, if yer mid-mounted making a header pipe has potential...
I don't have a camera but this is the kit:

Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

There's plenty of room on the exhaust side, not too much inside the plastic engine cover though.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... yeah, rack mounts - cool, but limited exhaust options... I dunno, mebbe someone with one has found somethin'? *shrug* The "cans" I've seen at the hardware stores were obv stock replacements for lawnmowers etc. Perhaps one of those would have better silencing - but it'd take modifying the manifold and I dunno which/any would actually be less noisy.

I don't see any realistic way to get any length either... stack exhaust? :D