grubee 4 stroke lubrication

GoldenMotor.com

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Hey everyone. JUst wanted to share my experience with the stage 3 grubee lubrication process. I put super lube synthetic grease on the gears and added about 65 cc's of amsoil synthetic super shifter trannsmision fluid and it made my clutch slip alot. Very slow acceloration. After cleaning everyhing off and reapplying the super lube synthetic grease to the gears alone, I had much better results. I'm not saying you can't add any fluid but I would go more towards 50 cc's and be ready to possibly drain,clean and reapply grease. The oil actually mixed with the grease while it heated up and made it all liquidy. I don't know if there is a product out there that does a good job lubrricateing the gears and aiding in the cooling process ,if that's even necesary, and yet doesnt inhibit clutch performance over extended use, but if there is anyone who has a tried and true product.

The instructions to put 50 to 80 cc's of 10w gear lube was not specific and tracking down a 10wt gear lube was not easy in small quantities. Amsoil lead my to beleive this would be good for a wet/dry clutch application. Maybe it's that it mixed with the superlube and made the combined solution too slippery and liquidy. Possibly the amsoil alone would not have had that effect, don't know but I realy don't want to experiment over and over again. So like I said and tried and true other than just the super lube would be nice to know.

Thanks
chris

Last edited:

bobdirt

Apr 12, 2009
usa
Grease. I like lithium grease and drill and tap a hole in the gearbox right above the clutch bushing this will give you a place to add grease or a bit of oil when the bushing begins to dry. Take experieance buy from a dealer.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I think your problem was that the oil started foaming. The foam gets between the pads and the plate creating air pockets. This prevents the surface friction that is required to "stick" and move you. Any automotive transmission fluid or engine oil tends to foam. True gear oil doesn't foam so much, if any. Try using a real gear oil, like 85w90 or something of the sort. It has proven to work well for me. Also, marine grade gear oil works great. Most any oil is going to mix with grease. Oil is actually a component of manufacturing grease, so they tend to mix well.

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
On the other forum there is a long thread about Grubee GB lubrication. Last year several of us experimented extensively with wet GBs using a lot of different things but the outcome was that lithium grease worked best. Any liquid presents a problem and the cluch slips and the GB runs really hot. Nothing will stay on the gear wheels or the bushing because of the centrifugal forces but the GB works OK if every 200 miles or so you redistribute the grease. These GBs probably work OK dry but the tacky lithium grease is what seems best. I tried a semi liquid white grease used for differentials and it was probably better but was messy and leaked so I went back to using plenty of thick lithium grease. Gear oil & engine honey mixes all failed to perform like the lithium grease. You name it we tried it.

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Ya, I've pretty much settled on the greese myself. It still just seems to all get thrown off in a short time and if you keep opening the box and putting more in the open places, it eventually makes it's way behind the clutch bell and onto the clutch causeing some slippage too. But I guess some people like a little slippage. I personally like for the clutch to take hold, I peddle some from a stop and then let the motor do the work. I've been haveing a blast just cruisin around aimlessly through the neighborhoods getting lost then breaking out my TomTom to find my way back home or just going till I run into a main drag I'm formiliar with. So far the grubee is working fine. I don't have hundreds or thousands of miles on mine yet like some of you guys but I'm working on it. I'm realy interested in the new wet clutch that's comeing out soon. I'd like to see how that compared to the current one and if being able to have an oil bath will be a plus or not. There is a thread under 4 strokes with pictures I posted on it if you haven't checked it out yet. I guess it's american made too. Jeremy at bicycle-engines.com is in the process of testing it out I beleive. It looks like it's well built and hopefully eliminates that annoying chatter the current one gives off trying to engage when the idle isn't just perfect.

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Foscotti: Thanks I did drill the nine holes as shown and that helped alot but I think my carb needs some fine tuneing or something. When idleing it doesnt' always run at a smooth constant rpm. It seems to have little surges up causeing just enough additional idle to give the clutch a little chatter then it goes back to normal. It seema to do it fairly frequently although I can't be sure, I ride with headphones on turned way down so as to drown out what noise the gear box makes but it definetely does it. I'd like to set the idle a little higher to maybe eliminate that but then it would probably be like it was before I drilled the holes. Maybe that's normal for the huesheng/titan carb. It starts great with one pull and no choke and tends to idle fairly well most of the time. Sometimes after climbing a long hill and the motor works extra hard, afterwards when stopped it will idle slow and kill, then won't start unless I twist the throttle. Maybe my idle screw isn't set just right..