Need help with mag wheels

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I know at least a few members are running mag wheels here. I'd like to know what brand, where you got them and which hub/sprocket adapter worked.

I've looked at the mag wheelset on gasbike for months, drooling, but they're always out of stock and I don't trust gasbike at all.

Before it starts, let me stop it. I'm well aware of the virtues and drawbacks of mag wheels, I've made my choice, now help me find happiness. Lol thanks everybody.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Checked all over his eBay store and couldn't find em. Any stout mag will do, providing I can find a hub adapter to fit, the set on gasbike caught my eye because there is no adapter. But, they've been out of stock for as long as they've been advertised, yet nobody on the forum has any information on them, let alone owns a set. Shady.

My next bike likely won't see the miles or the rough roads Tanglebones has to put up with, so I'd like a set of mags to add to the flash and curb appeal.

Like I said, any sturdy set, contains compatible with some kind of hub adapter is acceptable. All the mag rims I've found online, don't include hub diameter in the description. I'd like to have that important tid bit before I buy them, so I can order the hub adapter needed at the same time.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Or just find a set with disc brake mounts. Are you going to be running some kind of tubeless tires? Only real reason to go with mag wheels IMO.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Haven't decided on tires yet, although tubeless thoughts have crossed my mind. No mostly they're for aesthetics, and to help cut down on lateral wind resistance, I'm hoping I won't have to ride at an angle all the time, as the wind tries to blow the bike out from under me.

I know not all mags will cut down on wind resistance, some are worse than spoked wheels. With what I have in mind for my next build, they'll look sweet.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Haven't decided on tires yet, although tubeless thoughts have crossed my mind. No mostly they're for aesthetics, and to help cut down on lateral wind resistance, I'm hoping I won't have to ride at an angle all the time, as the wind tries to blow the bike out from under me.

I know not all mags will cut down on wind resistance, some are worse than spoked wheels. With what I have in mind for my next build, they'll look sweet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teny-559mm-...s-For-7-8-9-Gears-Disc-Only-NIB-/361196729651 I used the years ago..Motomagz get it..lol they are smooth.Quick release and different valve stems so make sure you look close before buying. Just like Beginner01 said bolt sprocket right to hub.

Attachments

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Actually I was hoping to here from you sir, I totally got the name.

In that case, know where I can find a 44t sprocket that fits? Or should I drill a stock nine hole to fit? I just want everything to be clean and tidy, that's what got me thinking about hub adapters, that and the Micargi build I'm planning. I may use the mags on that at some point. Those tenys are too pretty not to. I really want this to go as simply as possible, and I figured an adapter would make chain alignment easier.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
When I had this set up people were just starting to adapt sprockets to disc hubs. The problem was all the sprockets had a very large center opening that was larger than hub so I cut a Donut shaped piece of aluminum and bolted the to hub and sprocket to donut. But now you can find read drilled sprocket or templates to drill your own. What size chain are u going to run... I have the template also a new sprocket. Let me look before you start swipin the credit card!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
With the hub size on motorized bicycle mag wheels and can you use a sprocket adapter setup
Most of the mags sold by venders have disc rotor mounting holes and come with a sprocket.. If not you will get a sprocket with the same bolt pattern as the rotor and simply bolt it on.

chrislucky420

Sep 19, 2020
Most of the mags sold by venders have disc rotor mounting holes and come with a sprocket.. If not you will get a sprocket with the same bolt pattern as the rotor and simply bolt it on.
That's the thing I'm trying to save money because the star on my hub broke a few bolts inside of the holes so I'm wanting it get a hump sprocket instead of buying a new set of wheels save myself $100

Loop

May 27, 2020
S.Knoxville
I’ve got the ones like bike berry sells I got them from amazon and they have disc brake mounts I used the rear one for a 40 tooth sprocket from amazon as well. I really like them they look “sporty” and I’d rather have a spoke wheel set but I want the safety of the direct mounted sprocket I do not trust those rag joints and the hub mount things are too vague in their sizing for me.

Motorized mob

Dec 23, 2020
I've heard of someone out there that makes a MAG wheel sprocket and brake disc rotor combination as one piece to fit the mag wheel adapter which solves our problem of how to get a rotor to fit on here it fits around the adapter to 64 mm hole

Motorized mob

Dec 23, 2020
That's the thing I'm trying to save money because the star on my hub broke a few bolts inside of the holes so I'm wanting it get a hump sprocket instead of buying a new set of wheels save myself $100
There's not enough space between the bicycle frame and the sprocket to clear so we buy a MAG wheel adapter with sprocket to solve this problem now we're happy for a moment until we realize we need more braking so we look to find a way to mount a brake rotor on a MAG wheel adapter and there are none I've seen a company out there that makes the mag wheel adapter sprocket and brake rotor ass one piece it's our only solution