big flywheel

GoldenMotor.com

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
Hi there, not really a high performance mod....sort of the opposite. Most people lighten the flywheel for a quicker throttle response. My question is about adding a flywheel. It would be quite simple (for me) to machine a hole in the clutch case and turn up a flywheel and make a bolt to fix it onto the end of the crank.
Most older 1950s and earlier two strokes and four strokes had heavy flywheels because they were flywheel magneto ignitions.
Would a heavier flywheel make the engine a bit more tractible and smooth out some vibration?
Would it make a 66cc more like an old school 2 stroke?

Cheers
Simon

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
It would be a performance mod if it makes it perform better for you. I'm a big believer in kinetic energy when it comes to rideability. Back in the day I bought motocrossers for desert racing and always got routed down a rocky stream bed or up a nasty hill climb, and when I started using flywheel weights, the bike became much more controllable. The added advantage are when you kick start the engine it turns over a few extra times with the weight and starts first kick more often. Also stalls less on take off when clutching. I think added flywheel weight to just about any 2 stroke makes it idle better and run smoother with less vibration. You give up quick revs but it may be worth the trade off.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Having ridden Villiers powered motorcycles in my younger days I can add my voice to the usefulness of a flywheel. Villiers engines had a big brass flywheel magneto on the right hand side and it gave bikes powered by them some very useful low down thump.
As an experiment it certainly can't hurt to have a go at fitting a China Girl with a flywheel and I whole heartedly wish you luck.

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
Thanks, the responses echo my beliefs and experiences exactly. I also had a James cadet with a villiers 2d( from memory). I think it would suit my riding style and actually make these engines more tractible and user friendly. Even if its a relativley short stroke I think it will help and the low speed running wouldnt be so lumpy.
Im finishing up a car project right now but might try this in the coming months. Theres an old motoguzzi, falcone I think its called with a very pretty exposed flywheel.

Cheers
Simon

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree, heavy flywheels have their place when you need a harder hit off the line and the extra mass will help with balancing since single cylinder balancing is near impossible since you got not only the rotating assembly but also the piston acceleration that cant be cancelled out, but by adding more mass to the crank assembly it offsets the piston acceleration reducing the effect it has on the crank assembly. So besides offering better off the line performance it really helps smooth out the engine which can also allow a higher Max rpm and top speed but at a cost of slightly less acceleration.
Some larger V twin motorcycle engines can have flywheels weighing as much as 65lb. The Honda Vtx 1300 and 1800 engines have crank flywheels that weigh this much and it definitely contributes to a smoother ride. Harley cranks are also very heavy for the same reasons and these engines not only produce massive torque but its a torque you can definitely feel in any gear. In cases like the V twin engines and single cylinder engines the benefits of the heavier flywheels definitely outweigh the cons of having a lot of rotating mass and the engines do perform better because of it so yes... this can be considered a performance mod.... as little as one ounce just 4 inches off center can apply as much as 400 lb at 5000 rpm so the heavier but well balanced engine will even accelerate better than the lighter crank assembly than can only be balanced statically. If one was to add let's say a 5lb flywheel to onenof these engines and balance it as best as possible it will accelerate just as well if not better than the lighter engine that's also balanced as best as possible for a single cylinder or 45 degree v twin as well as having a higher rpm potential and top speed. Doing the same on an engine that's already well balanced by nature like an opposed twin or inline 6 or even an opposed 12 cylinder, the extra weight would just get in the way unless someone needed it for the extra inertia for better off the line starts.