still learning... bottom end suspension fork question...

GoldenMotor.com

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
ok... i've been working on bikes most of my life, but not really in a professional manor, so my experience is still very limited...
i pulled these forks off a donor bike from a friend, i know they are bottom of the barrel pos forks, but my question is this... are they adjustable? if so, how so?

ground assault xl off a roadmaster mtb

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
They are not externally adjustable. You can add preload (stiffer) by removing the lowers and adding spacers made from washers, pvc pipe, etc. Sounds primitive, but motorcycle riders sometimes do the same to stiffen their forks.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
good to know... what about lightening? idk if they are seized or what, but they don't move... should i pull them apart (if i can without breaking something) and clean them?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you pull off the lowers, clean it up and lube the parts, they will usually start working again. Lowers are normally removed by by removing an allen bolt in the top of each fork tube. Shine a flash light into the top of the fork tube to see if it is an allen bolt or otherwise.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
that's what i was hoping, and i already had, they are hex heads, just need to get to my extension and get to pulling them apart
thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've never done this but I'm wondering if there is a spring that is pre-loaded, (under pressure) that could hurt you if you're not ready for it when it comes apart.

Wheelbender, can you chime in again on that? Thanks.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The springs in the bicycle suspension forks don't carry near that amount of preload. It's not like a '62 T-bird, where the freed spring can go flying across the garage. Elastomers carry even less preload, but safety glasses are probably not a bad idea.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thank you, WB.
That's good information for anyone planning on suspension fork work.

I remember the early Corvairs. You had to pry the rear coil springs and slip in spacers to adjust the camber. I saw a alignment guy mash his thumb off when his pry tool slipped. Ouch :(

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The plastic bushings are where all the slop comes from. If you can find replacements, they will restore the fork to original working condition. Lubrication is very important for best operation. They tend to have a ton of "stiction" and a good PTFE lube helps a lot. They tend to make a bike feel loose and sloppy when worn, but even bottom of the barrel versions can work fairly well if taken care of properly.