Bad mornings can make for good Afternoons.

GoldenMotor.com

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
I just did my first short trip commute today out of necessity.
I had thought about riding to work today or tomorrow, but had put it on hold because I would prefer to have a helmet before dealing with the ID10T drivers in good old Springfield IL. , and there was rain in the forecast for today.

My wife's car is down and she thought she needed the truck today for a Doctors apt. (It was ever So nice of her to tell me this when I was in the shower getting ready for work.)
I asked what time the appointment was.

2:45 pm.
No way she would be on time to pick me up @3:30pm.

I thought about riding the bike to work, but wasn't sure if i had enough time. (not quite as it turns out.) Not wanting to chance it I decided to drive to work, but before I left I gassed up the Bike, loaded it in the truck, and drove to work.

we had a nasty storm roll through this morning, but by 3:30 it was beautiful out.
I clocked out, walked out, got on my bike, rolled out of the parking garage and it fired up nicely, but i had to stop for traffic. When i took off it seemed okay at first, but it just had no power and died if you let off the throttle. thought it was just cold. a block later it was getting worse, and i hadn't even left the hospital property. i stopped and looked and saw that the choke was half on. DOH! flicked the choke open, revved it up a bit to clear the engine, and away i went.
a little over 3 miles and approx 20 minutes later I was home. I still have to work on the route a bit to avoid Clearlake Ave other than crossing it, but all in all it was a good first test trip from work.
It will take a long time to break it in just going to work and back , but it is doing pretty well. opened it up on the home stretch and hit 30 mph, which is plenty fast enough until i get some better brakes.

now its time to go outside and put my wife's car back together.