white wire for charging system question

GoldenMotor.com

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Hi,

Has anyone come up with a way to use the white wire for a charging system to power a 6v battery for lights( and maybre maybe coil/starter setup)?

I've been doing searches on the infamous white wire and realize that it bogs down the motor as a direct power source - so I've been thinking if it were used as an alternator to charge a 6v battery with some kind of overcharge protection circuit it may work. Then lights could be used off the battery and the charge circuit off the ww could be set up to draw minimal amps to keep from retarding the engine.

Could get 6v off a couple of rechargable cell phone batteries in series possibly.

Anyone smarter than me got any ideas on this kind of set up?

Thanks

Jamie

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
There was some discussions about doing that. But I think it was a 12v system. The only thing I remember is you had to use a diode to stop voltage from the battery going back to the motor.

Terry

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Thanks Fulltimer,

I saw a thread like that on my search but I think it was with a separate electric motor/generator. I guess it would be the same idea using the magnetos power.

The other thing I read on here is that guys have fried their cdi doing this kind of stuff.

But then I keep hearing/reading about fried cdi s with normal use as well.

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Hey Impression,

Everything is doable with enough persistance/stubborness - ha ha.

What are you doing with your magneto - maybe adding an extra winding for accessory? Or just beefing it up?

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
screw that for a joke...

all they have done is what i posted earlier

ac to DC rectifier > Diode > Capacitors > battery :/ not exactly the most difficult think to setup

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I think I calculated about 1.5W of power available from the white wire while turning over the crankshaft with a drill while the jug and piston are removed. (I loaded the output with a resistor and calulated max power by measuring current and using ohms law, I can't remember the exact number I calculted but it was between 1 and 2 watts) When the motor is actually running the RPM should go higher and the available power should go up a tad.
If you draw less than this amount of power from your white wire you should be ok. I have been running 3 X 18LED flashlights with 6 x AA NiMH rechargable batteries on my bike with no problems or effect on the way she runs. The PowerSupply I am using is similar to what is listed here: White Wire, bridge rectifier, filter cap, blocking diode, load.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I think I calculated about 1.5W of power available from the white wire while turning over the crankshaft with a drill while the jug and piston are removed. (I loaded the output with a resistor and calculated max power by measuring current and using ohms law, I can't remember the exact number I calculated but it was between 1 and 2 watts) When the motor is actually running the RPM should go higher and the available power should go up a tad.
If you draw less than this amount of power from your white wire you should be ok. I have been running 3 X 18LED flashlights with 6 x AA NiMH rechargeable batteries on my bike with no problems or effect on the way she runs. The PowerSupply I am using is similar to what is listed here: White Wire, bridge rectifier, filter cap, blocking diode, load.
If you try to use a higher wattage bulb on the white wire (specially without the simple power supply described above) the filament in the bulb will appear as a short circuit on the white wire (until it warms up just a bit, then resistance increases), a short circuit on the white wire has another name.... KILL SWITCH....

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Hey,

I found this in the "roll your own CDI" thread - lights/charger powered off the blue wire:

Seems like a good idea.

Note:Sorry for no credit to the original poster. I had saved a copy on my HDD for reference. Didn't want to look through 33pgs to find the link.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i just bought a charger that works off the white wire to charge a 6 v batt,that in turn runs the lites, however i can not say how well it works cause i havnt got it yet. found on e bay they have all kinds of set ups 6v-14.4v depending on your budget.