Stainless Spokes vs Regular Spokes

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have a little issue with a vendor that I purchased rims and spokes (11Gauge) from; the spokes I paid for were supposed to be stainless but when I received them they did not look stainless and the old magnet trick was tried...low and behold the magnet stuck to the spoke. I made a phone call and was told that sometimes the magnet will stick to some stainless...my answer BS. Well 4 weeks later they sent me another set and the same thing. I went and checked another wheel again that was made by the same company with real stainless spokes and that magnet would not stick, tried it on my other rims with SS spokes and no sticky...even the 12.00 set from the swap meet would not hold the magnet....Its real funny that the nipples that came with the spokes the magnet will not stick to...

So what do you my fellow members think? I am not crazy.. But close to it from this issue...

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
As a CNC laser operator for 16 years, I saw a few grades of stainless plate that were magnetic. But I don't think stainless spokes should fail the magnet test. Every wheel I've had with stainless spokes passed the magnet test. My current daily rider has 12g stainless spokes, and they sure as heck aren't magnetic.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
there are different grades of stainless steel , the carbon content is the biggest factor , but there are also many other factors .

generally the more carbon content .. the harder the steel .

i sure wouldn,t want spokes made of the soft non magnetic stuff ... they would stretch too much ..your spokes would keep getting loose . not too big an issue with heavy gusge spokes though .

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
we use some cheap stainless bolts at work that are slightly magnetic, must just be a coating.

stainless spokes would be easy to spot, though. leave one outside on a damp night and see if it turns grey. if it does, it ain't stainless.

i know worksman non-stainless spokes are slightly blue-ish. husky spokes corrode pretty fast in a beach environment, too.

most nipples are chrome plated brass.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I'm not a metallurgist by any means but, I do know that 409 stainless will hold a magnet and will develope surface rust. 304 and 315 stainless will not hold a magent and will not rust.

MHF

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
As said it all depends on the alloy content of the steel. I worked in an appliance store and our supplier of Maytag appliances got a nasty call when magnets started sticking to our stainless appliances. The supplier did some research and found out that the lower grade stainless that Maytag had switched to was now ferrous. Was still good enough to stop rust inside a house and give the aesthetics of stainless but cheaper to build. Not sure if the stuff will hold up in constant weather since even high quality stainless will rust eventually.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
As Bairco said.....brass nipples. The most common nips are plated brass but you can spend some big coin on aluminum alloy or titanium nipples that are non-ferrous and look really trick.

dnut