Se Stout Build

GoldenMotor.com

purethief

Sep 18, 2010
idaho
Need some pro imput, please. i am considering using an se stout 29er frame for my build. dont have a frame to motor fit with but ive got dimensions and need some thoughts on fit.
grubee skyhawk 2010
seat tube length 19".
bb top to top tube bottom = 15.5 to 15.625"
top tube actual 23.4
head tube 72deg
seat tube 73deg
hope this helps all you geometry wizards.
the seat tube OD is 30m so skyhawk should fit w/o mods.
LMK what everyones thoughts are.
SE Bikes - 29" Stout scoll down for complete geos.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
That should work. But I don't understand why you (or anyone) would pay $580 for a single speed bike with no disc brakes or suspension. Go to any bike shop or even Walmart and get a nicer bike, cheaper.

I'm guessing it costs so much because of the full Chromoly steel frame. The benefits of this are great strength to weight ratio. but if you're gonna put an engine on this bike you really shouldn't be worried too much about weight. I put an engine on a 2009 Giant Boulder SE which weighs about 4.6lbs more than the bike you want. But it also has 21 speed gears and suspension.

But it's your money so spend it how you want, just be sure to look at all the pros and cons first. :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A typical Chinese hub from a Walmart bike will have small flanges that scantly support spokes properly. http://motorbicycling.com/f53/rear-wheel-your-mb-strong-enough-23371.html

Also most all of the bikes there come with inferior frames [cheesy metal] A lot of frames cracking..

That said we have folks that have successfully used the cheap Chinese Wally World stuff. I don't recommend them.

There are way better hubs out there and brakes than a Wally bike.

I had a boss in wrenching when it came to cheap tools. They are ok to a point if'n you really know there limitations.

I don't think anyone really knows when their frame is gonna crack etc.

purethief

Sep 18, 2010
idaho
i appreciate the response about the geo. that said, i am glad to finally hear from someone like you. i didn't know they existed, you know, people who actually pay retail for things. its folks like you that allow folks like me to get this stuff for next to nothing or for nothing. thanks sooo much.
as for your walmart bikes you may be my guest. i would never risk everything on some POS frame just to save a buck. not only that but the quality of the groupo is so low that the cost to replace parts will quickly make up the difference. when it comes to things like bikes, 'you' get what you pay for and i 'get' what you should be considering.
ill let ya know how the build turns out...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Sorry I re read you first post maybe this will help.. Taken from Zippys

Most 24" or 26" bicycle with diamond frame and horizontal top tube should have sufficient space to mount motor.

At least 12.5 inches running along the seat tube from the top of the bottom bracket to the bottom of the top tube.Tubing size from 1-1.5inches on the both the seat and down tube. Plus or minus 70deg. above the bottom bracket between the down tube and the seat tube. Inner distance between pedals needs to be greater than 4.5 inches in width to clear the 4.5inch wide motor.

Instruction Manual - Gas Powered Bicycle Engines, Motorized Fast Bicycles, Motor Gas Engine Bicycle, Bike Conversion Engine Kits, Motor Assisted Bike Engines 80cc and 49cc, Peddle Start Motorized Bicycle Engine and more!

*This Diagram is from SpookyToothcycles.com*

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn221/lonesomeracing/spooky1.jpg

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Hey purethief, you sound like you might be an actual cyclist so let me throw this at you. I am all about the 29" wheel myself and have been for over 10 yrs. Love em to death and have had a few motored ones and the Stout, of which I have had one but never motorized, would be no problemo to mount a motor to, at least a HT 2 smoke.

But as a cyclist, and that means to me by definition someone that actually can pedal a bike, what you are going to find is that once you start ripping along under the motor power you will get bored and start wanting to pedal along with the motor and for that you will need some gearing, like in the over 100" range big ring style. In fact this to me is the sweetness of riding a motorized bike. being able to get up on top of the motor with the right gears. Get up there to the edge of a sweat and stay there all day long. Fun stuff.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey purethief, you sound like you might be an actual cyclist so let me throw this at you. I am all about the 29" wheel myself and have been for over 10 yrs. Love em to death and have had a few motored ones and the Stout, of which I have had one but never motorized, would be no problemo to mount a motor to, at least a HT 2 smoke.

But as a cyclist, and that means to me by definition someone that actually can pedal a bike, what you are going to find is that once you start ripping along under the motor power you will get bored and start wanting to pedal along with the motor and for that you will need some gearing, like in the over 100" range big ring style. In fact this to me is the sweetness of riding a motorized bike. being able to get up on top of the motor with the right gears. Get up there to the edge of a sweat and stay there all day long. Fun stuff.
hey MabMan, I'm diggin what you're layin down on tape here, brother. good stuff. high speed workout. best of both worlds! I know this is an old post and I may not get a response, but I'm debating an electra cruiser1 tall, or SE 29er Big-Style cruiser. (the big style is + $100 which I could spend on a sprocket adapter). I'm 6'3" and look ridiculous on my electra superdeluxe.

I'm totally intrigued by the new 2012 29"beachCruiser from SE, but the rep said no dice on springer fork applicability :( Also I am a fan of Electra quality, and know that 26" related parts are easy to come by and such. I of course want a disc brake, and do not know the 29" world. looks like if I have my #'s right I may be able to get the SE with a front disc hub, rather than re -Lacing a freewheel rear wheel and mounting one of Lynn's disc adapters. and hassle, hassle, hassle...
So- I guess my questions for you and your 29" experience are:

frame vs. frame. the SE looks like an electra cruiser1 copy, and if so, the only difference between the bikes would be frame construction quality and the larger wheel. is the S.E higher priced due to frame quality or big wheel novelty?, and if so, does wheel size outweigh the potential difference in frame build quality to the user?

do you know what width the SE rims are, and if they have a 2.125 with a disc? ( sorry- sales dept question, i know)

I want a springer front end. is there one that works on a 29? and if the SE really is an Electra copy, then maybe the salesman was only thinking in terms of "his" springers when I asked if they'd work on that frame.

aaaargh! Sorry for dorking out!!! should I get the 29er bigStyle or the 26" electra tall?!

thanks,
jake

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
i appreciate the response about the geo. that said, i am glad to finally hear from someone like you. i didn't know they existed, you know, people who actually pay retail for things. its folks like you that allow folks like me to get this stuff for next to nothing or for nothing. thanks sooo much.
as for your walmart bikes you may be my guest. i would never risk everything on some POS frame just to save a buck. not only that but the quality of the groupo is so low that the cost to replace parts will quickly make up the difference. when it comes to things like bikes, 'you' get what you pay for and i 'get' what you should be considering.
ill let ya know how the build turns out...
I'm shopping for a new bike ,and when I find it, i'll let you know so you can get it for me for less than retail!