Pirate Cycles Wheel & Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Just recieved my HD Pirate wheel and hub adapter with pre intalled sprocket because ther have them on sale. The rim looks great, my only concern is that there seems to be a lot of excessive left to right play, in the wheel when its installed. Everything in tight but Im getting proabably 1/4-1/2 inch of side to side movement when I wiggle it. Any Ideas?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Just recieved my HD Pirate wheel and hub adapter with pre intalled sprocket because ther have them on sale. The rim looks great, my only concern is that there seems to be a lot of excessive left to right play, in the wheel when its installed. Everything in tight but Im getting proabably 1/4-1/2 inch of side to side movement when I wiggle it. Any Ideas?
Maybe tighten the wheel bearings?
Yeah, sounds like you need to tighten the bearing end play. I suggest taking the hub apart and stuffing it with grease. After 50 miles you'll need to adjust the end play again, and probably one more time after that.

http://motorbicycling.com/f48/took-my-rear-hub-apart-today-24820.html

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I would dive in and take it apart and pack it..you will see how it works and prob be preytty surprised at the engineering of a simple coaster brake and how it works

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Ive been inside the coaster hub of a bike before with its two half clam shell metal pieces that provide stopping power, that is not the point. Would you like to buy a new car where the first thing you had to do was disassemble and repack all of the wheel bearings?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I always adjust the axles/wheel bearings on all neww hubs. I have yet to receive a Shimano 110 hub properly adjusted. Everyone I have received was too tight.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
It is extremely rare that I come across a new hub that did not need adjusted properly or I did not fine tune my spokes if its a new wheel. Go's with the territory.. lol. Especially a coaster brake hub.. Those took a little trial and error when I was a kid.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
You didnt say you were buying a car I thought we were talking coaster brakes , And I also take mine apart and pack them and adjust them...