Does slime work

GoldenMotor.com

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Im thinking of installing slime into my torn resistant tubes as some insurance .I have only had one flat in my time but it resulted in a long walk . Reading some reviews and im getting some mixed messages so I thaught I would ask my trusted friends on this site.

Cheers. Michael

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Some swear by it, some swear at it lol

I don't think you're gonna get a clear answer unfortunately as it's an extremely polarized subject. It's proponents deny any and all issues it's detractors would mention so we're left as uninformed as before, with both sides getting a bit silly about it TBH

The best suggestion I figure is just try it for yourself... or not. The problem is ofc trying to ascertain if it actually works when flats are a rare occurrence, like when you just have quality tubes & tires.

My personal theory/practice is pretty simple... I ride as a daily driver/commuter (all seasons) with an absolute minimum of 6000 miles a year on mixed terrain. My cruiser has extremely thick "commercial delivery/rental bike" tires & my winter beater mountain bike has knobbies ofc. I average only one or two flats at most a year, and those are limited to two scenarios, the first being just a consequence of my slacking & running bald, worn out tires, the second being a catastrophic failure, like a pinch flat/blowout from hitting a pothole at speed, split seam/tear w/e.

While slime might help with the first example, I really don't see it as being worth the bother & potential problems (out of balance/clogged valve/messy cleanup) as I shoulda/hafta change the tire anyway & there's no way in heck it's help at all w/the second lol

...but know that I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't even like patch kits, I just carry a spare tube. I do have a patch kit for those Murphy Moments, but there's simply nothing that can compete w/a clean, new heavy duty tube in my opinion (^)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I myself routinely run with as large a tire as I can get to fit my bikes and as thick of a tube as I can find. Paper thin tubes suck!

I would have to have a tire liner made of sheet metal to survive here with out my beloved slime. I have ran very thick rubber tires before but the dynamic of said such tire compromises for my taste's traction and makes a very rough ride. So does a said liner in my view of things. All my bikes including my peddle bikes are full suspension. I gots 17,000 miles on one of my peddle bikes full sus.

These blasted stickers here will go right around thick tread to the corner of a said thick tire's extra thick tread. I had run these thick tires before and got a flat in two days of being new.

Here where I live I have no faith in any thing else.

Goat Heads can and routinely do.... blast right clean through Kevlar like an X ray machine. Its just a spitting image of it was never even there. ''Kevlar''

There is no way I will run with out slime. I have been there and done it all. Been on bikes since child hood and never ever have stopped.

I have yet in 40 years years to see a out of balance wheel. Centrifugal force would clean a valve out. Playing with a valve at a 12 0 clock position there will never be a problem. Thats the way It has always been for me. http://motorbicycling.com/f53/wheel-balencing-24529-3.html

I did some construction work before on countless occasions where they had done acres worth of cement work. There are wheel barrel tires here that ran over nails before they are still in service with nothing at all done to them. Mainly Goat Head stickers. They are brutal. There was a wheel Barrel there that was older than the hills on it's stock tubeless tire. All they did or ever did to it is Put Slime in them dollies as well.

When ya order a cement truck load of cement it's time to get a move when they show up. The wheel barrel party is on.... and that @#$% is not light. It takes stregnth and girth to go around a construction sight obstacle coarse.

Yes you can exist without the said Vulcan blood but not here where I live. Any one thinks so go for a ride with me I take ya some where's where it will be very disappointing. :( but not for me!!(^)